Wavy hair is such a versatile look. You can go feminine with big, voluminous waves or edgy with a more textured ‘do. But before you achieve any of these, you need to be able to master the curling iron. So let’s walk through everything you need to know about this useful hair tool so you can create those hairstyles you’ve been saving to your Pinterest boards for months!
What size curling iron should I use?
Choosing the right size curling iron for your hair depends on two things: hair length and how curly you want your hair to be. The general rule is the shorter the hair, the smaller the curling iron. Smaller curling irons will create more waves than larger ones, since your hair can wrap around a smaller curling iron more times.
Short Hair: Try a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch curling iron for tighter curls and a 1 inch curling iron for looser curls.
Medium Hair: Try a 1 inch curling iron for tighter curls and a 1 1/4 inch curling iron for looser curls.
Long Hair: Try a 1 1/4 inch curling iron for tighter curls and a 1 1/2 inch curling iron for looser curls.
What’s the best way to use a curling iron?
In order to achieve everyday waves with your curling iron, follow these simple steps:
1. Start with a piece of hair about 1/2 inch thick. Remember, the thinner the piece of hair, the curlier the results. So if you’re going for a sleek look, choose a thicker piece of hair.
2. Hold the curling iron vertically and make sure the clasp is facing forward. Clasp the iron around the section of hair about halfway down.
3. Turn the curling iron away from your face. So if you’re curling the right side of your head, turn it to clockwise and if you’re working on the left side, turn it counter-clockwise.
4. Now hold for 7-15 seconds, depending on the thickness of your hair and how it reacts to heat.
5. Next, press down on the clasp slightly to loosen the iron’s grip on your hair. Gently slide the iron downwards until it’s about 1-2 inches from your ends.
6. Then turn the iron just as you did before to curl the entire strand of hair. (This ensures that the roots get a good, lasting curl.) Hold for 7-15 seconds and release.
What Products Should I Use with my Curling Iron?
1. Heat Protection: The most important product you should always apply before curling your hair is a heat-protectant spray or serum. When your hair is dry, try Tresemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray. Spray the product about 8 inches away from your head before using any hot tool. You can also apply a repair serum right when you get out of the shower like Bumble & Bumble Repair Blow Dry. It’s great to use before blow drying your hair, or you can let your hair air dry, then use a curling iron.
2. Texturizing Spray: Hair will take to your curling iron best when it has some texture to it, so I recommend spraying Bumble and Bumble Thickening Dryspun Finish to each layer of hair before curling.
3. Hair Spray: To keep your locks in place, finish the look with a flexible hair spray like Dove Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray.
Get the Look:
Source: Instagram @anhcotran
Alternate the direction of each curl for a more natural tousled look. Be sure to curl the front pieces away from your face and to leave out the ends (you can even straighten the ends for a more bohemian look). I also recommend curling smaller sections of hair about 1/2 inch thick.
To get a curl in the opposite direction, simply hold the curling iron so that the clasp is facing backwards. Then when you’ve clasped down on a piece of hair, turn the iron toward your head (counter-clockwise on the right side of your head and clockwise on the left side).
Source: Grey Likes Weddings
If you’re going for a retro look, try curling thicker, 1 1/2 inch sections of hair in the direction toward your face. Then gently comb through the curls.
Source: The Sweetest Thing
For soft, voluminous waves, try curling 1-inch sections of hair away from your face. Leave about 1/2 inch of your ends out of the curling iron. Add a texturizing spray to your roots for lift and finish with a smoothing product like Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Creme.
Kristin Ess Soft Waves Curling Iron – 1 1/4″
TELL ME EVERYTHING
People always ask me why they wuld need a curling iron versus a curling wand. The answer is simple; you use a curling iron when you want sleeker, shinier, more polished waves/curls. Use this 1 1/4″ curling iron to get relaxed, polished waves on medium to long lengths, or subtle bend on bobs and lobs.
POLISHED CURLS + UNDONE WAVES
Bend the ends for a more polished look, or slide the curling iron straight through your ends for a more undone, relaxed look.
QUICK + EFFICIENT
Titanium barrel with temperature sensing rapid heat technology outperforms ceramic, delivering fast, even heat, for more consistent curls and longer lasting styles
Negative ions lock in moisture, enhance shine, and eliminate frizz
Super smooth barrel, with ergonomic thumb grip and heat resistant tip, minimizes friction on the hair and eliminates creasing
TO EACH THEIR OWN
Digital display + 4 temperature pre-sets (up to 425° F) allows you to customize the temperature based on your hair type and texture
Automatic shut-off after 30 min of non-use, built-in safety stand, and 9 ft swivel cord
For video tutorials and additional product information go to kristinesshair website or follow @kristin_ess