There’s a reason why the skin around the eyes tends to look older first: That delicate area is sensitive to stretching and sagging, so it matures faster than other parts of your face. Hello, wrinkles.
So if maintaining a youthful complexion is important to you, it’s vital to use an eye cream daily. The thing is, there are thousands of options available, and it can be tough to know what to look for on the ingredients list. Even if you do know what to look for, tracking down something that fits the bill can be exhausting. (Read: near-impossible.)
So we did the work for you and talked to a few dermatologists to find out exactly what should be in an effective eye cream for wrinkles, and the best over-the-counter buys to try.
- The best eye creams for wrinkles
- SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel Cream
- RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- OLE HENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème
- Olay Eyes Brightening Eye Cream
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream
- SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50
- Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate
- Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer
- Supergoop! Advanced Anti-Aging Eye Cream SPF 37
- EltaMD Renew Eye Gel
- NEOCUTIS Lumière Bio-Restorative Eye Cream
- Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream
- First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream
- Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Eye Cream
- The best way to apply eye cream
- The best eye creams for dark circles
- The best hydrating eye cream
- What causes dark undereye circles?
- The best treatments for dark, under-eye circles
- How to shop for the best eye creams for dark, under-eye circles
- The best products for treating dark, under-eye circles
- 1. Supergoop Bright-Eyed 100% Mineral Eye Cream SPF 40
- 2. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Eye Cream
- 3. SkinBetter InterFuse Eye Cream
- 4. RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- 5. Neocutis Lumiere Riche Eye Balm
- 6. SkinMedica TNS Illuminating Eye Cream
- 7. L’Oreal Revitalift Triple Power Eye Treatment
- 8. NeoStrata Repair Intensive Eye Therapy
- 9. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes
- 10. Skyn Iceland HydroCool Firming Eye Gel Pads
- 11. enVy Copper + Silk Pillow
- 7 Dermatologist-Approved Eye Creams That Work Better Than Botox
- How To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Under Eyes
How to choose the best eye cream for wrinkles and fine lines
What makes an eye cream anti-aging? Tara Rao, MD, a dermatologist at Schweiger Dermatology Group and Joshua Zeichner, MD, a dermatologist at Mount Sinai Hospital named a few key ingredients to look for.
Hyaluronic acid: Found naturally in the skin, hyaluronic acid is a form of sugar that draws in water, which helps to hydrate and plump the skin. Many times, under-eye wrinkles are a result of dryness, Dr. Rao says, and hyaluronic acid is well-studied and shown to help reduce the signs of aging. (Check out these eye creams for dry skin if hydration is your main problem.)
Peptides: Copper peptides, polypeptides, and oligopeptides are thought to penetrate the skin and help build hyaluronic acid and collagen. These structural proteins hold cells and tissues together like glue, diminishing the look of wrinkles.
Retinol: This vitamin A derivative stimulates collagen production and promotes cell turnover to help reduce the signs of aging. Because the skin under the eyes is so sensitive, the dermatologists we spoke to recommended products with relatively low concentrations of retinol.
Sunscreen: “This one’s a no-brainer,” says Dr. Rao. Without proper protection, UV rays break down collagen and age your skin. (Unfortunately, SPF can be tough to find in eye creams.)
Antioxidants: Vitamins C and E, ferulic acid, and berry extracts help reduce oxidative stress due to UV rays or pollutants, explains Dr. Rao. Antioxidants also improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The best eye creams for wrinkles
Whether you’re looking for something to plump deep-set wrinkles or a product to smooth fine lines and lessen the appearance of dark circles, you’ll find something that will work for you.
SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex
✔️ BEST OVERALL
“SkinCeuticals has been around a long time; they have a lot of research behind their products,” says Dr. Rao. This eye cream has a good mix of everything needed to diminish fine lines and wrinkles: antioxidants, peptides, and sunscreen.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel Cream
✔️ BEST VALUE
This hydrating eye cream is gentle enough for your under-eyes and contains hyaluronic acid to plump and moisturize the skin. “It acts like a sponge to pull in hydration from the deep skin layers and even the air,” says Dr. Zeichner.
RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
✔️ BEST RETINOL EYE CREAM
Those who have excessive wrinkling around the eyes may want to consider a retinol eye cream. Dr. Zeichner recommends this moisturizing option because it minimizes dark circles, puffiness, crow’s feet, and wrinkles without being too harsh on the delicate under-eye skin.
OLE HENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème
✔️ BEST FOR DARK CIRCLES
This cult-favorite eye cream is infused with vitamin C, an antioxidant that fights cell damage, helps produce collagen to reduce lines, and brightens skin. Boosted with collagen, the hydrating formula instantly revives the face by minimizing the look of dark circles.
Olay Eyes Brightening Eye Cream
✔️ BEST VALUE FOR DARK CIRCLES
The vitamin C, niacinamide, and light-reflective properties in this drugstore eye cream make it a winner for dark circles, fine lines, and dull-looking skin. Just a dot of this thin, lightweight formula delivers instant radiance for that well-rested look.
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream
✔️ BEST DRUGSTORE EYE CREAM
Another great option from Neutrogena, this formula also contains retinol to speed up cell turnover and effectively banish fine lines, wrinkles, and crow’s feet. Dr. Jaliman also loves this pick because it contains hyaluronic acid to offer extra moisture and plump the skin.
SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50
✔️ BEST EYE CREAM WITH SPF
Even though SPF is so important in an eye cream, it can be tough to find a formula that includes one. This raved-about product from SkinCeuticals contains SPF 50 to prevent sun damage, ceramides to hydrate, and a brightening tint to even skin tone.
Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate
✔️ RAVE REVIEWS
This rich cream is a dream if you’re prone to dryness in your under-eye area. Your skin will drink up its antioxidants to combat fine lines and texture, puffiness, and dark circles. The heavy-duty formula feels ultra-nourishing and creamy on the skin, making this a great nighttime pick.
Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer
✔️ BEST FOR PUFFINESS AND BAGS
The lightweight formula visibly reduces dark circles, fine lines, and bags under the eyes. “The caffeine constricts blood vessels to help remove excess fluid and hydrate fast to minimize the appearance of under-eye puffiness,” Dr. Zeichner explains.
Supergoop! Advanced Anti-Aging Eye Cream SPF 37
Enriched with oat peptides, broad-spectrum SPF, and light-reflective properties, this anti-aging eye cream practically erases dark circles while protecting the delicate eye area. No stinging, burning, or irritation required—even for a sunscreen!
EltaMD Renew Eye Gel
Dr. Rao is a fan of this dark circle- and wrinkle-fighting eye cream because it contains a mix of antioxidants, peptides, and moisturizing ingredients. “It also has niacinamide, which is a good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that can be used on any part of the face,” she says.
NEOCUTIS Lumière Bio-Restorative Eye Cream
This eye cream gets a stamp of approval from Debra Jaliman, MD, assistant professor of dermatology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and author of Skin Rules. It contains skin-plumping hyaluronic acid, caffeine to fight puffiness, and an ingredient called PSP, a combo of wrinkle-fighting peptides and antioxidants unique to Neocutis.
Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream
If you suffer from loose or crepey skin under the eyes, look no further than Aveeno’s eye cream, says Dr. Zeichner. Its antioxidant- and vitamin-rich complex stimulates elastin in the skin to help it stretch and bounce back into shape.
First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream
Most eye creams are made to be worn at night, but this lightweight formula was created specifically for daytime use under makeup so it can nourish your under-eye skin throughout the day. Free of any irritants, it contains peptides and various plant extracts to help minimize fine lines and hydrate deeply, so your skin is left silky smooth.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Eye Cream
This eye cream from Peter Thomas Roth utilizes the power of vitamin C to brighten skin, boost collagen, and protect against harmful free radicals. What’s more, it contains ferulic acid (to further boost the efficacy of vitamin C), vitamin E to nourish, hyaluronic acid to plump, and caffeine to reduce puffiness.
The best way to apply eye cream
Now that you have an effective wrinkle-fighting eye cream, you need to actually use it! Consistency is key, and the way you apply your cream can make a difference in how well it works:
- Do a patch test: “You’d be surprised how often people neglect to read the ingredient list because they’re caught up in the hype of the product,” Dr. Rao says. Before using any new product, test it on a small part of your skin to ensure it doesn’t cause an adverse reaction.
- A pea-sized amount of product should be enough for both of eyes.
- Use your ring or pinky finger to apply your eye cream to ensure you are using a light pressure.
- Do not tug or pull at the skin, which only further promote wrinkles. Use a dabbing motion instead.
- Make sure to apply your eye cream to the under-eye area, eyelids, and outer-corner of your eyes, where wrinkles often begin. Avoid direct contact with your eyes.
Stay updated on the latest science-backed health, fitness, and nutrition news by signing up for the Prevention.com newsletter here. For added fun, follow us on Instagram.
Jenae Sitzes Editorial Assistant Jenae is the editorial assistant for Prevention.com, where she regularly covers nutrition, beauty, celebrity workouts, and health trends.
With busy days of work and school and long nights of after-school activities, we’re always feeling kind of tired — but, of course, we don’t want it to show.
To keep our eyes looking photo-ready, we asked celebrity makeup artists, dermatologists and plastic surgeons about the best eye creams for dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles. The best part? They’re all available at your local drugstore (and Amazon!).
1. RoC Retinol The Anti-Aging Eye Cream Treatment
“Thisis great because of Retinol, which helps organize the collagen in your skin to reduce fine lines and uneven texture,” explained Dr. John Paul Tutela, a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and New Jersey. “It even helps fade dark spots. But give it about four weeks to start seeing results.”
2. Vichy LiftActiv Supreme Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
“I love this thick cream for hydrating and revitalizing the skin around the eyes,” said Cinthia Lomeli, a celebrity esthetician, whose clients include Annabelle Wallis, Cheryl Hines and Kate Beckinsale. “This cream will help lift droopy eyelids, smooth under-eye wrinkles and brighten the skin. Plus, the caffeine in the eye cream will help increase circulation, which helps reduce dark circles and puffiness.”
3.Olay Regenerist Micro-sculpting Eye Swirl
“This gel-and-cream combination includes skin-firming peptides and regenerating niacinamide and mica to deflect light and smooth the appearance of fine lines,” said esthetician Lora Condon of Jersey Boutique Spa. “The eye area will be hydrated but not greasy, so you can still use your favorite moisturizer and makeup for flawless skin.”
The best eye creams for dark circles
Stuff We Love
Get a daily roundup of items that will make your life easier, healthier and more stylish.
1. Burt’s Bees Brightening Eye Treatment
“The under-eye area, in general, is the first to show signs of fatigue,” noted Geoffrey Rodriguez, a celebrity makeup artist. “I love this eye treatment because it addresses dark circles and puffiness, as well as fine lines and wrinkles.”
He recommends applying it using “gentle tapping motions from the outside inward” to help brighten the area and adds that the lightness of the formula makes it easy to layer under makeup.
2. NYX Professional Makeup Gotcha Covered Concealer
“Another great tip for maintaining a well-rested, healthy look is to always have a good concealer on hand — ideally one that looks seamless and blends effortlessly,” added Rodriguez. “This is formulated with coconut oil and blends beautifully and is also very long-wearing. It even comes in a convenient squeeze tube.”
3. Physicians Formula Concealer Twins 2-in-1 Correct and Cover Cream
“One of the makeup artists on my team turned me onto this under-eye concealer from Physicians Formula, which I now consider a staple in my own makeup bag,” explained Marie Watkinson, the founder of Spa Chicks On The Go in New York City.
“This dual-sided product has a yellow corrective cream that helps neutralize dark under-eye circles and glides on smooth. On the other side, you have a light-colored concealer to help blend in the yellow color and give it a velvety finish. It’s a great drugstore find at an amazing price point.”
The best hydrating eye cream
1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Moisturizer
“This has hyaluronic acid which hydrates the skin cells better than regular moisturizing cream,” said Tutela. “It allows the skin to absorb water from the air. It doesn’t work as well in drier months, so a more humidified room helps it take action.”
2. Boots No7 Lift and Luminate Eye Cream
“When I need extra love around the eyes, this shea butter-based eye cream gives long-lasting hydration,” said Condon. “The added peptides give extra firmness and if you keep this in the refrigerator, you’ll also diminish under-eye puffiness.”
For more stories like this, check out:
- 11 best drugstore wrinkle creams, according to skin care experts
- The best drugstore BB creams and tinted moisturizers
- 10 drugstore anti-aging products celebrity experts swear by
To discover more deals, shopping tips and budget-friendly product recommendations, and subscribe to our Stuff We Love newsletter!
You know the saying that “the eyes are the window to the soul”? Well, it turns out the skin under your eyes can say a lot about how you’re feeling, too. A rough night working late or taking care of a sick kid can show up on your face the next morning in the form of those dreaded dark under-eye circles.
“What gives the skin under your eyes its color is a combination of blood vessels, pigment in the skin, and the thickness of the skin, along with fluid that can accumulate in this delicate, sensitive area,” explains Doris Day, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at Day Dermatology & Aesthetics and clinical associate professor of dermatology at the New York University Langone Medical Centers. “Dark circles are often a combination of pigment making the skin darker and redness from dilated blood vessels,” she says.
- What causes dark undereye circles?
- The best treatments for dark, under-eye circles
- How to shop for the best eye creams for dark, under-eye circles
- The best products for treating dark, under-eye circles
What causes dark undereye circles?
What makes it particularly tricky to treat dark circles is that there isn’t one reason people develop them. Dr. Day says lack of sleep, dehydration, drinking too much alcohol and not eating a well-balanced diet are all lifestyle factors that can contribute to the appearance of dark circles, but genetics and aging come into play, too.
“Under-eye hollowing is a broad category and includes everything from genetics, where it’s the shape of the eyes and the structures around them that creates a natural hollow, to redness that can also create a shadow-like effect,” Day says.
Evan Rieder, MD, a board-certified dermatologist, assistant professor of dermatology at New York University Langone and member of the American Academy of Dermatology, says that someone’s physiology plays a larger role in developing dark circles than we realize. “Some people just naturally have darker areas under the eyes. They may look more severe in fairer skin tones, but people of South Asian or African ancestry might also notice that they have a sharp cut-off around their eyes,” he says.
Aging is also one of the leading causes of dark, under-eye circles. As you get older, the tissue around the eyes weakens, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology. This breakdown in collagen can cause fat to shift to the lower eyelids, creating dark shadows and puffiness. In fact, Heidi Waldorf, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and owner of Waldorf Dermatology Aesthetics, says that the most common reason dark circles form is hollowing in the under-eye area from the loss of deep fat. “That’s why patients complain that they have tried every cream and none worked,” Dr. Waldorf explains.
Unfortunately, aging in the under-eye area happens in layers, which is why you see a gradual sag in your skin from the eyelids to the brows to the forehead. Deep under the eye area is a framework for bones, muscles, ligaments, fat pads, lymphatics, nerves and blood vessels that hold everything in place, Day explains. “These elements don’t age in a synchronous way, which over time, can lead to hollows, under-eye bags and crepey skin,” she says.
Oftentimes, fine lines in the forehead are linked to heaviness in the eyelids and drooping eyebrows. “Many, if not most, forehead lines, are not due to primary wrinkling of the forehead itself but rather as a secondary effect of heavy eyelids. The normal response to heavy eyelids is to raise the brows and this creates forehead wrinkles,” Day says.
Another little-known reason you might develop dark circles is from rubbing your eyes. “Allergies can increase redness and rubbing the eyes will lead to darkening through increased pigment from the irritation,” Day says. “It’s one of the worst things you can do to the delicate skin in this sensitive area. Just don’t do it.”
The best treatments for dark, under-eye circles
Our experts all agree that the best way to treat dark, under-eye circles is through a combination of cosmetic treatments performed by a dermatologist, healthy lifestyle changes and high-quality skincare products. “In-office treatments, such as peels, lasers, devices that tighten and fillers are sometimes needed and can have a lasting effect,” Day says. Fillers, for example, help eliminate shadows and hollowness under the eyes by restoring the padding in the lower eyelid and cheek, Day says.
“Doing chemical peels for several weeks can lighten the skin. Botox can be helpful for smoothing out excess crinkling of the skin,” Dr. Rieder says. Rieder also says microneedling, which delivers controlled injury to the skin, shows some promise as an under-eye treatment option because it stimulates collagen production and allows anti-aging serums to penetrate deeper into the skin. A small August 2018 study in The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology suggests that microneedling can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve skin texture.
Waldorf notes that noninvasive skin-tightening procedures, like Thermage or Ultherapy, are also used to treat dark, under-eye circles and provide a natural lift before the issue becomes severe. “Crepey-textured skin will make it appear worse so resurfacing the skin with a Fraxel laser improves the appearance,” Waldorf says.
Get the better newsletter.
How to shop for the best eye creams for dark, under-eye circles
But if cosmetic procedures aren’t an option for you, using over-the-counter eye creams and skincare products can help reduce the appearance of dark circles. Just be aware that you won’t get the same results from using skincare products as you would get from in-house cosmetic procedures. “The same ingredients that help prevent and treat skin aging are helpful for under the eyes,” Waldorf says. To help you choose the best eye creams or skincare products for treating dark circles, here’s a quick checklist of important ingredients to look for:
- Hyaluronic acid hydrates and plumps up skin, giving you a youthful and radiant glow. By brightening the skin, it can help mask darkness under the eyes. “Hyaluronic acid and glycerin help pull moisture into the epidermis from the environment above and dermis below,” Waldorf says.
- Caffeine works to constrict the blood vessels under the eyes, reducing redness, Rieder says.
- Dimethicone and cyclomethicone are emollients that lock in moisture while also acting as a spackle between cells to make skin look smoother and silkier, Waldorf says. “They contain optic light diffusers to improve light reflection,” she adds.
- Retinol is a vitamin A derivative and the over-the-counter version of prescription retinoids. Retinols help prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming by promoting cell turnover in the skin. “Topical retinol and alpha hydroxy acid products are specially designed for the delicate eyelid skin and can help improve the texture and color of the skin,” Waldorf says. “But they must be used with care because they can be irritating.”
- Vitamin C and polyphenols help reduce oxidative stress from environmental pollutants, Waldorf says. Note that eye products with vitamin C have lower concentrations of the active ingredient than those for the rest of the face.
- Peptides are the building blocks of collagen, which helps keep your skin firm and smooth. As you age, the rate of collagen your skin produces slows down, so using eye creams with peptides helps stimulate their growth.
The best products for treating dark, under-eye circles
1. Supergoop Bright-Eyed 100% Mineral Eye Cream SPF 40
Wearing sunscreen during the day will help protect the skin under your eyes from sun damage, Waldorf says. She recommends Supergoop’s mineral eye cream because it contains 100 percent zinc oxide to protect skin from powerful UV rays. It also has a blend of probiotics and caffeine to brighten skin and alleviate redness.
2. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Eye Cream
Made with retinol, hyaluronic acid and dimethicone, Neutrogena’s eye cream is an excellent drugstore option, Waldorf says. It not only works to diminish fine lines and dark, under-eye circles, but it also keeps your skin plump for a youthful dewy finish.
3. SkinBetter InterFuse Eye Cream
While this option doesn’t fall under the over-the-counter bucket (you’ll need to place your order through a physician), it’s worth mentioning. If you’re looking for an eye cream that will guard your skin day and night, this top pick from Rieder is for you. This powerful eye cream delivers peptides, vitamin C and caffeine to help restore brightness in the under-eye area. “It also has humectants to hydrate the skin,” Rieder says.
4. RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
The powerful retinol and mineral complex in this eye cream promotes cell turnover to reduce fine lines and dark, under-eye circles. It’s also hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic so it works great for people with sensitive skin. Waldorf likes that it also has glycerin, which pulls moisture into the outer skin.
5. Neocutis Lumiere Riche Eye Balm
Day likes that this overnight eye salve supplies caffeine, glycerin, sodium hyaluronate and vitamins C and E to tired-looking eyes. Together, these ingredients help reduce puffiness and promote collagen production, while protecting your skin from environmental pollutants.
6. SkinMedica TNS Illuminating Eye Cream
Best for normal or combination skin, Day says this eye cream works to improve the appearance of fine lines and dark circles, thanks to its powerful age-defying peptides. It also boasts hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, antioxidants and light diffusers for a smooth and radiant complexion.
7. L’Oreal Revitalift Triple Power Eye Treatment
Another great drugstore option, L’Oreal’s eye cream provides a triple threat of retinol, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid to de-puff under eyes and brighten dark circles. It also gets top marks from Waldorf for having skin-plumping glycerin and dimethicone, and caffeine for reducing redness.
8. NeoStrata Repair Intensive Eye Therapy
Packed with alpha hydroxy acids, hyaluronic acid and peptides, Waldorf likes this eye cream for its protective antioxidant benefits. “Fruit stem extract contains antioxidants and other ingredients that may be protective to aging cells. It also has caffeine to reduce puffiness,” she says.
9. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes
Because rubbing your eyes can cause redness and irritation, Waldorf recommends using gentle makeup-removing pads or towelettes to thoroughly wipe away dirt, oil and waterproof mascara. “Always be gentle when cleansing skin to avoid stripping the important lipids and proteins that form the skin barrier. I find that most eye makeup can be removed using a pre-moistened makeup remover towelette like Neutrogena,” she says. These alcohol-free wipes are safe for contact lens wearers and leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed.
10. Skyn Iceland HydroCool Firming Eye Gel Pads
“Puffiness can be reduced temporarily using topicals with ingredients like green tea polyphenols and caffeine, which helps the fluid shift,” Waldorf says. She likes using these topical pads from Skyn Iceland before a special occasion, presentation or photo shoot to help de-puff and brighten up skin in the under-eye area. Free of parabens and silicones, these energizing pads seal moisture and plump skin in just 10 minutes.
11. enVy Copper + Silk Pillow
If you’re prone to eyelid swelling, Waldorf says sleeping on your back can be helpful in reducing puffiness. “In general, sleeping on your back is the best position to reduce the signs of aging skin,” she says. That said, getting enough sleep is more important so if you lie on your side or face down, a memory foam pillow with a silk pillowcase can help prevent tugging at the skin that leads to wrinkles. Waldorf likes enVy’s pillows because they’re infused with copper, which helps promote collagen production and wards off bacteria. It also comes with a silk pillowcase that keeps your skincare products on your face — not on your pillow.
- Best moisturizers for dry skin
- 5 DIY beauty recipes you can make at home
- Best dandruff shampoos
- A better way to take a shower
- The best skin care products for acne-prone skin
Want more tips like these? NBC News BETTER is obsessed with finding easier, healthier and smarter ways to live. Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
7 Dermatologist-Approved Eye Creams That Work Better Than Botox
Is there anything worse than dark circles under your eyes? No matter your age, skin type or skin tone, dark circles will always make your face look ten years older than you actually are. We all know the struggle of trying to get rid of dark circles, too. It’s almost always an uphill battle, not just to remove the circles, but also to keep them gone.
There are many causes for dark circles under eyes. While the most common factor is a lack of sleep, they can also be caused by allergies, smoking, a poor diet, aging or even just genetics.
How To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Under Eyes
For some people, lifestyle changes like getting more sleep or eating healthier foods might improve dark circles. But the rest of us are going to need a little more help.
If you find the right one for your skin’s specific needs, an eye cream can work wonders in smoothing out your face – even better than botox. The important thing to remember with any eye cream is to use it consistently without over-using it so that you are sure to prevent dark circles from forming without irritating the sensitive skin around your eye.
The Best Dermatologists-Approved Eye Creams For Dark Circles
1. Monat Eye Smooth
What It Does
– Uses clinically-proven ingredients like plant stem cells and squalane to nourish and revitalize skin
– Gives a more youthful, radiant and energized appearance to the eyes and face
– Wakes up the eyes with caffeine
– Targets puffiness, dark circles and crow’s feet under the eyes
– Rejuvenates and hydrates skin for a more youthful appearance
– Supports hydration and skin elasticity
The most promising review for the Monat Eye Smooth is that the eye cream sold out within a month of launching and currently has a 13,000-person waiting list. While you can shop another eye cream in the meantime, we suggest you get on this wait list before it gets any bigger. Plus, if you’re on the waiting list, Monat will throw in a free facial massager with your Eye Smooth.
2. Fré Skincare Brighten Me Eye Cream
What It Does
– Increases the skin’s natural collagen production to improve the appearance of under-eye skin
– High-performance formula that promotes healthy skin for bright eyes
– Restores the skin’s protective barrier to repair environmental damage
– Deeply moisturizes skin and improves elasticity
– Reduces hyperpigmentation and dark circles
– Protects and revitalizes stem cells
“New Staple – The perfect harmony of Revive & Recover Me – targeted for your eyes. Well done – I love it!” – Marlena
Fre Brighten Me Anti-Dark Circles Eye Cream ($45)
3. OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème
What It Does
– Targets signs of aging with a brightening formula rich in Vitamin C
– Reduces the appearance of dark circles with banana power
– Improves concealer application and wear
– Combats dark circles and bags under eyes
– Hydrates skin and locks in moisture
– Smooths out fine lines and wrinkles
“I was never a big OH fan bc I tried a few products from this brand and they had my skin looking crazy on these streets and I don’t play that. Bought this based on all the great reviews I’ve seen, didn’t expect anything really. I’m 41, have a lot of fine lines under my eyes and under eye bags. Fast forward my fine lines have minimized (I’m shocked) and my under eye area looks renewed. Idk if that makes sense but I look refreshed when I use this. The formula is creamy and melts into your skin. I look forward to using this product and I’m looking at OH like y’all did that. If you are on the fence about purchasing, I’d say try it. For me it has exceeded my expectations.” – barefootcontessa
OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème ($38)
4. RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
What It Does
– Visibly reduces puffiness and dark circles under eyes in just one month of use
– Smooths out fine lines, wrinkles and crow’s feet within 12 weeks
– Uses retinol and a mineral complex for powerful results
– Provides dramatic results while remaining gentle enough for daily use around the eyes
– Clinically proven to rejuvenate delicate, sensitive under-eye skin
– Improves the look of skin for an overall younger-seeming appearance
”I’ve been using this product consistently for 20 yrs. For the past 5 yrs I’ve started using the rest of the roc line. I simply put it on before I put my makeup on and at night before going to bed. I’m now 44 and people think I’m in my late 20’s…hey I’ll take it! I’ve let everyone know what I use faithfully and they’ve tried it as well and love it! Never had an issue with skin irritations either. I highly recommend the whole line, but this product is off the chain. Thank you roc for a product that is as close to the fountain of youth as you can get!” – Anonymous Target shopper
RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream ($15.99)
5. SkinFIx Barrier + Lipid-Boost 360° Eye Cream
What It Does
– Uses an unprecedented and concentrated formula of clinical actives to get results
– Treats dark circles, puffiness and fine lines around eyes and eyelids
– Moisturizes the skin for a smoother appearance
– Uses saccharomyces complex to reduce the appearance of dark circles
– Diminishes under-eye puffiness with alfalfa seed complex
– Creates a smooth look to the skin by pulling moisture in
Absolutely AMAZING! I inherited the puffy bags under my eyes from my dad and I didn’t think any eye cream could beat genetics. I’m so glad I was wrong. I’ve been using for only two days (morning and night) and the bags under my eyes are half the size they were before. I will definitely purchase again!” – Pallotta
Skinfix Barrier+ Lipid-Boost 360° Eye ($40)
6. Burt’s Bees Eye Cream
What It Does
– Clinically proven to hydrate the delicate eye area without causing redness or irritation
– Softens the keep and helps it to retain moisture using a formula of 98.9% natural ingredients
– Perks up the appearance of the eyes
– Provides a luminous, youthful-seeming complexion
-Combats under-eye puffiness
– Smooths sensitive skin gently
“Absolutely love this cream. My face was so dry this winter, no amount of my regular moisturizer was working. I was miserable. With the Night Cream and the Cleanser for Sensitive Skin I’m so very happy. I use the Night Cream morning and night. The extra on my fingers gets rubbed into my hands and has made a them feel better too. And I have to say I’m not using very much.” – psyche 1954
Burt’s Bees Eye Cream for Sensitive Skin ($9.97)
7. The Inkey List Caffeine Eye Cream
What It Does
– Wakes your eyes for a rejuvenated, energized and brightened look
– Reduces puffiness and dark circles under the eyes
– Smooths out fine lines and wrinkles with peptides
– Supports collagen production for a smooth texture and youthful appearance
– Removes dark circles and puffiness in the sensitive under-eye area
– Lightweight cream that also works as a makeup primer
”I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect eye cream and have tried many in different price ranges and this ended up being one of my favorites. It’s not a miracle worker but It keeps my skin hydrated and I do notice my circles look a little lighter and less puffy. It’s a great buy and certainly worth the money. Most of all I did not have any allergic reactions which is why I gave it 5 stars. Sadly I don’t think any cream will make me look like I sleep 8 hours a night.” – AnitaMarlene
The INKEY List Caffeine Eye Cream ($9.99)