- 50 Chic Updos for Medium-Length Hair to Try in 2020
- 20 Easy Updos For Medium Hair
- Cute, Trendy, Creative And Easy Updos For Medium Hair
- #1: The Messy Top Knot
- #2: Braided Messy Bun
- #3: The French Braided Bun
- #4:Volumized Low Ponytail With Bangs
- #5: Easy Low Bun Updo With Bangs
- #6: Looped Low Knot
- #7: Easy Updo For Medium Hair With A Chain Braid
- #8: Volumized Curly Twist Updo With Bangs
- #9: Loose Low Side Bun
- #10: Easy Flat Twisted Updo For Medium Length
- #11: The Pencil Knot
- #12: Easy Twisted Halo Updo For Medium Hair
- #13: The Pin Curl Bun
- #14: Easy Braided Ponytail ‘Do For Medium Length
- #15: Low Roll With Braids
- #16: Twisted Glam Bun Updo For Mid-Length Hair
- #17: Easy Colorful Braided Bun Updo For Medium Hair
- #18: Easy Side Ponytail With A Braid
- #19: Messy Braided Updo
- #20: Easy Messy Side Ponytail
- 60 Medium Hair Updos that Are as Easy as 1,2,3
- 1. Low Bun with Twisted Braids
- 2. From Braid to Bun
- 3. Double Twisted Braid Bun
- 4. Twisting an Updo
- 5. French Braid Low Bun
- 6. Curly, Wavy, & Messy Bun
- 7. The Three-Way Twist
- 8. Classic & Classy Low Bun
- 9. High Bun with Double Braids
- 10. Back Braided Crown
- 11. Longer Ponytail
- 12. Elegantly Curled Bun
- 13. Braided Bohemian Updo
- 14. Triple Braid Bun
- 15. Linked Updo
- 16. Afro Faux Hawk
- 17. Blossoming Bow
- 18. Classic Messy Bun
- 19. Connected Ponytail
- 20. Double Side Twists Bun
- 21. Sophisticated Updo
- 22. Loose French Braid Bun
- 23. French Braid Ponytail
- 24. Loose Curly Bun
- 25. Linked Crown Low Bun
- 26. Side Wrap Bun
- 27. Double Headband
- 28. Classic French Braid
- 29. Side Chignon
- 30. Bun & Bow
- 31. Half Up Half Down with Braid Crown
- 32. Upper Side Fishtail
- 33. Curly Side Chignon
- 34. Swept Up Bun
- 35. Twisted Chignon with Accessories
- 36. Perfect Wedding Updo
- 37. Side Braid Ponytail
- 38. Braid Over Chignon
- 39. Loose French Braid High Ponytail
- 40. Casual Ponytail with Bangs
- 41. Puffed Up Ponytail
- 42. Big Half Up, Half Down Ponytail
- 43. Soft Half, Up Half Down Ponytail
- 44. Messy Ponytail
- 45. Puffy Afro Faux Hawk
- 46. Half Up, Half Down Twist
- 47. Bandana Ponytail
- 48. Pin Up Ponytail
- 49. Half Up, Half Down Bun
- 50. Braid Up Bun
- 51. Double Braid Crown
- 52. Braid Wrap Around Crown Bun
- 53. Half Up, Half Down Fishtail Braid
- 54. Curly Braid Down Bun
- 55. Braided Updo with Flowers
- 56. Wrap Around Twist Crown
- 57. Double Braided Up Pigtails
- 58. Hair Flower Crown
- 59. Top French Braid
- 60. Half Up, Half Down with Two Braids
- So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
- 60 Trendiest Updos for Medium Length Hair
- Best Updos for Medium Length Hair
- #1: Chunky Braid Updo
- #2: Blonde Bouffant Up Do
- #3: Fancy Roll for Medium Hair
- #4: Cute Loopy Twisted Updo
- #5: French Roll for Thin Medium Hair
- #6: Formal Sleek Looped Updo
- #7: Loose Updo with a Diagonal Braid
- #8: Voluminous Messy Bun for Medium Hair
- #9: Fancy Loopy Updo for Medium Hair
- #10: Messy Updo for Bob Length Hair
- #11: Elegant Buns and Chignons
- #12: Messy Wavy Updo for Shorter Hair
- #13: Messy Wrapped Chignon
- #14: Low Wavy Messy Updo
- #15: Low Messy Knot Updo for Shorter Hair
- #16: Low Curly Updo with a Small Bouffant
- #17: Delicate Curly Updo for Medium Hair
- #18: Twisted Crown Half Updo
- #19: Low Flower Bun Updo
- #20: Romantic Updo for Tousled Balayage Hair
- #21: Loose Messy Updos
- #22: Contemporary French Roll Updos
- #23: Loose Messy French Braided Updo
- #24: Messy Chignon for Medium Hair
- #25: Lovely Twisted and Tied Updo
- #26: Swirled and Pinned Updo
- #27: Romantic Loose Curly Updo
- #28: Low Twisted and Tucked Updo
- #29: Twist and Pin Messy Updo
- #30: Wavy Messy Low Bun Updo
- #31: Classy Bob Half Updo with Chain Braids
- #32: Textured Chignon Updo with Braided Elements
- #33: Tuck Updo with a Big Bouffant
- #34: Messy Low Chignon
- #35: Side Braid-to-Bun Updo
- #36: Low Messy Wavy Bun for Shorter Hair
- #37: Loose Curly Updos
- #38: Loose Rolled Bun
- #39: Knotted Mohawk Updo
- #40: Messy Curly Updo with Face-Framing Tendrils
- #41: Big Bouffant Updo for Shorter Hair
- #42: Bob with Half Up Mohawk Braid
- #43: Rosette Side Updo
- #44: French Braid and Low Bun
- #45: French Knot with Low Ponytail
- #46: Low Twisted Updo for Shorter Hair
- #47: Half Updos with Braided Details
- #48: Curly Pinned Updo for Shorter Hair
- #49: Pinned Up Vintage Wavy Updos
- #50: Loose Braid-to-Bun Updo
- #51: Halo Fishtail Braid
- #52: Voluminous Platinum Blonde ‘Do
- #53: Side Curly Bun with Braided Accent
- #54: Loose Low Braided Bun
- #55: Low-Key Loose Updo
- #56: Mid-Ponytail with Sparkled Comb
- #57: Twisted Medium Updo
- #58: Messy Braid Medium Updo
- #59: Wavy Pulled Back Bun
- #60: Gathered Mid-Length Updo
50 Chic Updos for Medium-Length Hair to Try in 2020
If you’re heading to an event or out on the town, there’s more than one way to style your medium length hair!
All too often medium length hair ends up in the boring category. It seems too short to do anything spectacular and too long for an edgy look inherent to modern short cuts. But don’t forget there are tons of updos for medium hair out there – look in the right place, and you’ll see there are at least 50 worthy hairstyles to choose from.
From formal events to weekend hangouts and nights out on the town with friends, there’s a style for every occasion.
1. Loopy Mid-Length Updo. The sexy updo with messy loops is a jaw-dropper. Leave some hair loose for an added undone effect.
2. Dimensional Braid and Bun. Balayage hair is perfect for dimensional braids. Finish it with a messy bun and get a simple yet standout look!
By Elvira Shmeleva
3. Medium Updo with Bangs. This neat updo has soft piecey bangs in the front that pair well with the style.
By Anya Ganea
4. ‘Not Too Perfect’ French Twist. Don’t want your hair to look too slick and perfect? Pull pieces loose at the sides and bottom of your roll.
5. Medium Updo for Formal Events. Sweeping the hair back into a messy French twist is super classy. Show off your favorite earrings in this charming above-the-shoulders look.
6. Catwalk-Ready Knotted Updo. Buns aren’t given nearly as much credit as they’re due. A neat bun or a knot will always be classy.
7. Delicate Bouffant Updo. The loose curls frame the face very gently. Highlights look marvelous in updos for all lengths!
By Kristina Youssef
8. Intricate Romantic Medium Updo. A jumbo fishtail braid, instead of smaller ones, helps the hair look thick and full.
By Sabrina Dijkman
9. Low Medium Updo. Given a little texture, the chignon updo with one loose face-framing piece in the front is effortless and pretty.
10. Loose French Braid Updo. Take a cue from the French braid and finish your updo with a loose wrap.
11. Casual and Quick Braided Updo. Your everyday updo shouldn’t look like you put a lot of effort into it, but with a braid added, it turns out pretty fancy!
By Raquel Silva
12. Loosely Twisted Medium Style. Keep hair up and off the shoulders with criss-cross and tucked sections.
13. Very Feminine Mid-Length Updo. Slicked back and polished off with a few curly pieces pulled out loose.
14. Tender Curled Bun. Look forward to prom? A sweet and feminine updo like this one will make you feel like a princess!
15. Curly Side Bun. A messy bun shifted to the side is a classy style with dimension to wear to any fancy event.
16. Medium Updo with Wedding Vibes. Whether you’re the bride or a bridesmaid at the wedding, the coiffed updo is perfectly elegant.
17. Loose Whipped Updo. Work a twisted bun with loose side pieces at a wedding or other formal event.
By Whitney Burkhart
18. Medium Updo for a Date Night. A night out with your boo calls for a low bun, soft and romantic. Add a necklace or earrings to complete the look.
19. Beautiful Bob Updo. Messy doesn’t have to mean sloppy. A flirty style with lots of loose pieces is perfect for a casual weekend out and about.
20. Deconstructed Braid. Unleash you creativity and pin loose pieces of hair randomly to achieve a creative deconstructed updo.
21. A la’ French Braid. Your sixth grade French braid style has just got upgraded! Hide the end of the braid under the twisted and tucked messy bottom.
22. Braid and Tuck Updo for Medium Hair. These two last loose updos for shoulder length hair are basically the same but look different! That’s where we see the beauty of modern messy updos.
23. Simple Knotted Updo for Medium Locks. The twisted knot could be even prettier with a jeweled barrette or a flower.
By Brooke Klay
24. Lacy Look. Another criss-cross style perfect for a wedding updo.
25. Bouffant Updo with a Twist. A little bouffant creates a fuller, luscious look especially when completed by a twist and tucked bottom pieces.
26. Tuck with a Messy Braid for Straight Hair. No one will know you actually have straight hair if you wrap up your pre-curled strands into a cute tuck.
27. Soft Medium Messy Updo . An easy formal look to work at the prom, wedding or a birthday party.
28. Mid Updo with a Big Bouffant. You don’t need long hair to make a statement. Give a little tease at the crown of the head for volume.
29. Loose Messy Knot. The nape knot is simple yet stunning, especially with side pieces completely loose.
30. Wrap-Around Braid. The French twist look is completed with a thick braid wrapping around the head.
By Elvira Shmeleva
31. Medium Updo for a Bridesmaid. You won’t mind always being the bridesmaid when showing off a style like this.
32. Messy Updo with a Fishtail. A fishtail braid is fed into a simple tuck for a classy, deliberately messy look.
33. Party-Proof Medium Updo. Hitting the dance floor soon? The twisted and pinned updo will hold together as long as you need.
34. Real Bedhead Updo. Backcomb and loosely pin only the back tresses for an easy change-up.
35. Delicate Waves for Medium Hair. Waves so soft! You’ll want to run your fingers over your hair every five seconds, but hold yourself together, it would be a shame to ruin this beauty!
36. Everyday Mid-Length Look. A casual updo for the weekend calls for a quick hair pull-back.
37. Flower Girl Updo. A low bun is really easy to put together in the morning. Add flowers or a lace ribbon as a detail.
By Josie Morgan
38. Two Low Pigtail Buns. Pippi Longstocking gets an upgrade when braids are wrapped into two low buns.
By Kaitlyn Brown
39. Wild and Wonderful Messy Updo. It doesn’t take much to gather messy hair into a knot, letting a few pieces fall out.
40. Chic Chignon Hairdo. A chic chignon is a go-to for weddings and other formal events.
41. Embellished Medium Updo. If I were to pick a style for my wedding, it would be this textured updo with pearls.
By Josie Morgan
42. Mermaid Updo Hairstyle. Forget the loose and flowy hair, let’s load it up with braids and volume this time!
43. Blonde Effortless Updo. An effortless-looking chignon equals beauty. Pairs well with both casual clothes, and evening gowns.
44. Loose Half-Updo. Don’t want all your hair up? Tame curly locks with two side twists connected in the back.
45. Tuck with Double Twists. The boho chic formal updo helps show off any textured details of your outfit.
By Sabrina Dijkman
46. French Twist Updo. It’s all in the details – there are no two French twists alike!
47. Very Loose Feminine Updo. You’ve got all the inspiration you need with this textured updo based on loose twists.
48. Bridal Medium Updo. A braid turns into a tiara if started at the crown of the head and wrapped along one side. Curly ringlets make for easy delicate details to adorn this fragile look.
49. Mid-Length Updo for Boho Wedding. A super thick braid is really easy to use as a tie-in to a low updo.
50. Medium Updo for Prom. Curls and braids blend to be packed into a lovely small bun.
By Heather Schmick
Once you decide how you want to look – soft and feminine or edgy and hip – it’s just a matter of choice! Updos for medium hair come in all shapes and sizes, with braids or with no braids, neat or messy. You don’t need to chop your hair to your chin to update your look, and not having long hair doesn’t mean you can’t still look feminine. Many eye-catching updos are done on medium hair, you’ve just seen for yourself!
20 Easy Updos For Medium Hair
Throughout decades, up-dos have been a welcome hairstyle choice because they are pretty, popular and practical. Updos are the chameleons of all hairstyles! Whether you are going to school, work or out for play, an undo is a great option.
Cute, Trendy, Creative And Easy Updos For Medium Hair
This article will show you how to style your hair in 20 different ways and achieve awesome results every time.
#1: The Messy Top Knot
The top knot has been trending across runways and sidewalks alike, mostly because it’s so chic and so simple! To create a top knot, brush your hair into a high ponytail. Then, split your ponytail into two sections. Wrap each section around the base of the ponytail and until there are no loose ends. Secure with a scrunchy. If desired, you can pull out some loops to make the bun appear larger and messier.
#2: Braided Messy Bun
Only have 2 minutes to get ready? Well, this bun is perfect for you. All you have to do is to create a side part and French braid from the part to the point 2-3 inches above the ear. From there, gather the hair into a loose, high ponytail. Take the length of the ponytail and twist it around the base. Secure the bun with an elastic.
#3: The French Braided Bun
This hairstyle is a cool combination of a French braid and a bun! Simply French braid the hair all the way down to the nape. It is okay to have a few flyaways, as it does not have to be perfect. Once you reach the nape, create a low ponytail. Then, use the length of the ponytail to create a bun and secure it with an elastic.
#4:Volumized Low Ponytail With Bangs
This hairstyle is very edgy yet chic. It is a volumized, low ponytail with bangs. It only takes a couple of minutes to complete the look. Simply, divide your hair into three sections: the bangs, the crown, and the remaining portion. Lightly tease the crown area until you reach the desired lift, and then, create a low ponytail. Secure with a scrunchy. As for your bangs, you can either wear them straight or curl them!
#5: Easy Low Bun Updo With Bangs
This hairstyle is great to try on the days when you want an effortlessly cute look! The second day curls or waves will work great for this lovely knot. You need to achieve a loose, messy texture. Without brushing, gather your hair into a loose low ponytail. Secure it with a scrunchy. Now, divide the ponytail into two sections. Take the bigger section and fold it underneath, creating a bun. Use the smaller section to wrap around the base of the ponytail. You may pull out your bangs or face-framing pieces if you want. The bun should be loose enough to do this with ease.
#6: Looped Low Knot
The looped low chignon is very tasteful, as it adds a little pizzazz to the traditional low buns and knots. To create this look, section off a square chunk of hair at the nape area. The size is dependent upon how big you want your twist to be. Now, taking the rest of your hair, create a low chignon bun. It can be as loose or tight as you want. Finish it off by twisting the small section at the nape and wrapping it around the base of the ponytail. Secure with bobby pins.
#7: Easy Updo For Medium Hair With A Chain Braid
The chain braid is a totally cool twist on the typical French braid. It looks fancy, but it’s actually much less complicated than it appears. Grab a section of hair in the front of the head and tie a knot. Taking the two lose strands, incorporate another piece of hair and tie another knot. Continue this pattern all the way along the hairline towards the nape. Bobby pin the chain braid in place. Then, take the rest of the hair and create a loose, messy bun. Secure it with a scrunchy and bobby pins, and you’re done!
#8: Volumized Curly Twist Updo With Bangs
This updo is easy-going and beautiful. The curly twist with a volume at the crown and sun-kissed highlights are very cute. Start off by dividing the hair into the sections: the crown, the bangs and the nape. Tease the crown section at the roots strand by strand to achieve the volume. At the nape, twist the hair in multiple directions and secure the twists with bobby pins. Curl the bangs in messy sections for a natural look.
#9: Loose Low Side Bun
You could achieve this effortlessly chic updo within just some 5 minutes! To start, you want to begin with straight hair. Gather your hair into a loose, low side ponytail. Take the ponytail and twist it around the base, creating a bun and securing it with a scrunchy. Pull out face-framing strands and style your bangs as desired.
#10: Easy Flat Twisted Updo For Medium Length
The flat twist is a modern answer to the widely duplicated French braids. This hair style incorporates the flat twist with the messy bun in a very creative way. Start by parting the hair straight to the back into the desired number of sections. With each section, create a flat twist. Starting with two strands of hair, twist them over each other, incorporating a new strand at each step. With the loose hair, create a messy bun and secure it with a scrunchy!
#11: The Pencil Knot
The pencil bun is fun and handy, especially when you don’t have an elastic at hand)) It’s great for office or school because all you need is a pencil! Start with your hair down. Twist your hair around your finger, making a loop and secure it with a pencil. You can try a bun or a knot or a kind of French twist, and you do not need any bobby pins, just a pencil!
#12: Easy Twisted Halo Updo For Medium Hair
The twisted halo is super quick and easy yet it looks very classy. All that you have to do is to create a loose flat twist from one corner of your forehead all the way around to the other side. Secure with bobby pins as needed.
#13: The Pin Curl Bun
The pin curl bun is a hot style from the sexy 60’s! To create this style, start with wand curled hair. Section off the front middle portion and let it extend to the crown area. Create a loose ponytail on the top of your head with this section. Then, proceed to lightly brush the remaining curls into the bun and bobby pin them into place. Create the desired shape.
#14: Easy Braided Ponytail ‘Do For Medium Length
This messy braided ponytail is a beach babe hairstyle that takes a second but lasts all day for fun in the sun. Start at your temple and create a chunky French braid going straight to the back. Afterward, create a low ponytail with the remaining hair. Pull out a few strands so that the hairstyle looks piecey. Now, you’re done!
#15: Low Roll With Braids
As a renovation of a classic hairdo, this low roll with braids is perfect for the indie personality! To accomplish this style, you want to start with straight hair. Section off two strands at the corners of your forehead, each about 2 inches wide. Braid them down to the tips and join the two braids together. Now you’ll need to roll the remaining locks. Secure them low with an elastic. Use a scarf as a base for your low roll.
#16: Twisted Glam Bun Updo For Mid-Length Hair
This glam bun is great for special occasions such as weddings and formal events. To achieve the look, divide your hair at the back into two sections – from ear to ear. Start from the bottom section: create a sleek low ponytail and fold it underneath, shaping a bun. Backcomb the locks of the top section. Now, taking the top section of hair, bring it to one side of the bun and wrap the ends around it. Bobby pin as necessary.
#17: Easy Colorful Braided Bun Updo For Medium Hair
A braided bun is a hairstyle that is commonly worn by dancers, as it is simple yet elegant. To create this hairdo, you want to start with straight hair. Brush it into a semi loose low ponytail and secure it with a scrunchy. Then, proceed to braid the ponytail down to the ends. Finally, you want to pin the braid, forming a chignon. You can either pin it over the base of the ponytail or under. If you want those colorful strands as a temporary effect, they may be added with hair chalks or hair mascara.
#18: Easy Side Ponytail With A Braid
For a fun, flirty hairstyle, try a nice side ponytail. This look is quick and cute, and it can last all day! Start with straight hair. Part the hair until you reach the crown area. Section off a one inch strand at the top and braid it all the way to the ends. Then, gather your hair into a low ponytail. Then, you’re done!
#19: Messy Braided Updo
The messy side braid is a graciously Grecian hairstyle that is reserved for the ultimate goddess. To achieve this look, you want to start off with day old curls or waves. Begin braiding a loose French braid from one temple. Once you reach the opposite side of the head at the nape, bobby pin the tail underneath the bulk of the braid or leave a part of it, sticking out playfully. If desired, you may leave out the bangs too.
#20: Easy Messy Side Ponytail
Lastly, the messy side ponytail is about as simple as you can get! However, it’s still just as appealing. When styling your messy side ponytail it is smart to make sure that the hair has added shine, so that it doesn’t look bedhead messy, but effortlessly alluring instead!
There you have it! Those are your 20 easy updos for medium hair. When choosing a style for yourself, try something new and maybe a bit extraordinary. Sometimes a new hairdo can be a great refreshment!
60 Medium Hair Updos that Are as Easy as 1,2,3
It’s almost funny how finding easy updos for medium hair isn’t all that simple at all.
Really, the internet is overflowing with hairstyle ideas, but we weren’t all born with the gift of braiding, twisting, pinning, and hair spraying our way to hairdo perfection.
So what’s a girl gonna do?
We’re happy to say that we have personally hunted for these effective and so easy updos for medium hair that you will absolutely fall in love with! Try out these easy updos for medium hair!
1. Low Bun with Twisted Braids
To get this beautiful low bun, all you need is two hair ties, some bobby pins, hair spray and a bit of patience. The results are well worth it!
2. From Braid to Bun
In just six easy steps, you can transform a small braid into a gorgeous chignon that gently rests on the back of your neck.
3. Double Twisted Braid Bun
Go from pigtails to twisted braids to a lovely bun in a matter of minutes with one of our favorites from our easy updos for medium hair list.
4. Twisting an Updo
Good things come to those who twist! It helps if your hair is naturally wavy or curly for this pretty chignon.
5. French Braid Low Bun
Yet another one of the 9-step easy updos for medium hair involves gradually bringing your hair together into a complete French braid and then twisting left, right, and up.
6. Curly, Wavy, & Messy Bun
Curly gals will love this one. All you have to do is tie your hair half up, half down, and twist up and around.
7. The Three-Way Twist
If you’re looking for easy updos for medium hair, this is as simple as it gets. Simply tie your hair in three low ponytails and twist them around.
8. Classic & Classy Low Bun
For this classy and classic hairdo, twist the sides of your hair and bring them into a low ponytail. Wrap it up and close with a bobby pin. Voila!
9. High Bun with Double Braids
Start with the sides of your head, bring the rest of your hair up into a ponytail and then braid that too! Twist around the main braid for a super cute bun.
10. Back Braided Crown
Braid your hair in two, leaving the inner margins loose. Wrap left, wrap right, and the result is a magnificent chignon embraced by a braid.
11. Longer Ponytail
Are you in for an optical illusion? Get the long ponytail you have always dreamed about by first splitting your hair half up, half down and tying the two parts into separate ponytails. Let the top part fall on the lower one and enjoy your super long pony!
12. Elegantly Curled Bun
You’ll need a curling iron for these kinds of easy updos for medium hair. Follow the nine steps illustrated in the photo above to get a fabulous loose bun fit for a wedding!
13. Braided Bohemian Updo
Boho chic anyone? Braid your hair in four and wrap them all around for a fresh bohemian look.
14. Triple Braid Bun
This is similar to the three-way twist, just that you also braid the mini ponytails before twisting them into buns. Don’t forget your bobby pins!
15. Linked Updo
Start from the top of your head and knot your way down to the base of your neck for a truly unique linked braid.
- 50 Black Cherry Hair Color Ideas for the Sweet & Sour
- 55 Flattering Goddess Braids Ideas to Inspire You!
- 50 Wedge Haircut Ideas for a Retro or Modern Look
16. Afro Faux Hawk
If you’re lucky enough to have afro hair, all you have to do is comb it up to the top of your head and pack in pins all around for the ultimate curly faux hawk.
17. Blossoming Bow
We all love hair bows, but you can make yours even more interesting than a traditional one. After you have the bow in place, gently twist the sides until it beautifully blossoms open.
18. Classic Messy Bun
Get a hair tie, bend your neck down, grab all your hair and casually twist it into a bun. That’s all you have to do to get the perfect messy bun.
19. Connected Ponytail
A funky approach to the classic ponytail, this hairstyle involves parting your hair horizontally in three and then adding a hair tie every few inches.
20. Double Side Twists Bun
Part your hair in two and twist both sides together into a cute little double bun.
21. Sophisticated Updo
Bring on the hairspray! Spend some time gently pinning your hair up into a loose, classy bun and then use hair spray in abundance to hold it in place.
22. Loose French Braid Bun
Begin with a loose French braid at the top of your head and then add a hair tie for a cool and eye-catching loose bun.
23. French Braid Ponytail
The steps are almost the same for these easy updos for medium hair, just that you wrap your hair in a ponytail at the end instead of a bun.
24. Loose Curly Bun
Use pins to bring your wavy locks together into this messy-but-fancy bun. Don’t forget to leave a few loose strands on the sides of your face for a lovely effect.
25. Linked Crown Low Bun
Instead of styling your hair into a low bun with a braided crown, link the top part together for an original approach.
26. Side Wrap Bun
- Part your hair half up, half down.
- Wrap the top part in a bun.
- Part the remaining hair vertically in two.
- Wrap these parts up left and right at all times.
27. Double Headband
After you get your perfect messy bun together, add a personal touch with a cool double headband.
28. Classic French Braid
Everyone knows about the classic French braid, but how on earth do you really make it? This 9-step guide shows how easy-peasy it really is!
29. Side Chignon
Why settle for the norm when you can give a classic chignon a twist? Instead of keeping it straight down, turn it to the side a bit.
30. Bun & Bow
Is there any way to make a bohemian bun even more adorable? Surprisingly, yes! Add a big bow in your favorite color and you’ll look as if you came straight out of a fairytale.
- 50 Unbelievably Easy Hairstyles for School to Save Time
- Keep Them Looking Lovely: 50 Heartwarming Flower Girl Hairstyles
- 50 Cool Ways to Rock Scene & Emo Hairstyles for Girls
31. Half Up Half Down with Braid Crown
One of the easy updos for medium hair you can try out any time is braiding two bigger strands on each side and bringing them together for a cute half up, half down look.
32. Upper Side Fishtail
A well-braided fishtail can go a long way for easy updos for medium hair.
33. Curly Side Chignon
Another way to style a side chignon is by curling your hair beforehand. It’s even better if your hair is naturally wavy or curly.
34. Swept Up Bun
Another glamorous wedding bun is this swept up style. Pin up a loose bun and sweep up the sides.
35. Twisted Chignon with Accessories
Twist your way to a chignon and add your favorite hairpins.
36. Perfect Wedding Updo
This curly bun is the long wedding updo you’ve been dreaming of!
37. Side Braid Ponytail
Braid a bit of your hair to the side and bring the rest up into a ponytail.
38. Braid Over Chignon
Pin in a loose chignon and wrap a braid around the top.
39. Loose French Braid High Ponytail
Loosen up your top French braid and end it in a high ponytail.
40. Casual Ponytail with Bangs
What you see is what you get, ladies!
41. Puffed Up Ponytail
Puff up your ponytail with a comb and hair spray.
42. Big Half Up, Half Down Ponytail
Tie your hair in a half up, half down ponytail and start teasing.
43. Soft Half, Up Half Down Ponytail
This is the classic version of the half up and half down ponytail.
44. Messy Ponytail
Don’t be afraid to get messy with your ponytails.
45. Puffy Afro Faux Hawk
Bring your hair up into a faux hawk and tease away!
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect “I Do”
- 50 Jolly Christmas Hairstyles Fit for All Parties
46. Half Up, Half Down Twist
After parting your hair half up and half down, twist the end into a bun.
47. Bandana Ponytail
Add a bandana to your ponytail for a fresh and edgy look.
48. Pin Up Ponytail
Wrap your ponytail with a ribbon and curl every remaining strand. You’ll get the perfect pin up look in no time!
49. Half Up, Half Down Bun
Braid both sides into a half up and half down bun.
50. Braid Up Bun
Start with a French braid and end up with a fab twist to a classic bun.
51. Double Braid Crown
Double your crown with a traditional crown braid and a fishtail braid. The result is simply gorgeous!
52. Braid Wrap Around Crown Bun
Go for a big bun and surround it with a thick braid.
53. Half Up, Half Down Fishtail Braid
Braid the top part of your half up, half down hairstyle into an adorable fishtail.
54. Curly Braid Down Bun
Make the most of your curls with this loose braided bun.
55. Braided Updo with Flowers
Add some small flowers to your braided updo for enhanced femininity. You can sport this fairy-like look at a wedding, a festival, while going out, or just basically anywhere!
56. Wrap Around Twist Crown
Create a wraparound crown with any braids you like.
57. Double Braided Up Pigtails
French braid your pigtails up into small buns. The shaved undercut is optional, of course.
58. Hair Flower Crown
Get creative with your braided half up, half down with a beautiful flower design.
59. Top French Braid
Try stopping your French braid when you get to the top and let the rest of your hair flow freely.
60. Half Up, Half Down with Two Braids
Connect two side braids into one of the princess-like easy updos for medium hair.
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
So there you have it ladies, a list of dozens of ways in which you can pull up your medium-length hair and look stupendous while doing so!
Not only that, but these updos are so simple you can do them yourself at home or even on the run, as most of them are also quite fast to make.
Which one of these are your favorites? Or what are you trying out right now? Leave a comment and let us know!
- 50 Black Cherry Hair Color Ideas for the Sweet & Sour
- 55 Flattering Goddess Braids Ideas to Inspire You!
- 50 Hairstyles for Thin Hair for Stunning Volume
- 50 Sublime Chocolate Brown Hair Shades
- 50 Wedge Haircut Ideas for a Retro or Modern Look
- 50 Hairstyles for Women Over 60 for Timeless Charm
- 50 Sensational Bob Hairstyles for Black Women
The updo hairstyle on medium hair will be much easier to create than on long hair. And it will appear trendier when made on a one-length bob cut. As there are much more coloring techniques nowadays, we can create many beautiful looks with our hair. Besides, the updos this year show more stylish with asymmetric designs. Follow us with 16 easy and chic bun hairstyles for medium hair and find more inspirations here!
Asymmetrical Bun Hairstyle for Medium Hair
Asymmetrical Bun Hairstyle for Medium Hair via
The updos this year show more impressive with asymmetrical designs. You can also compliment this trendy look with stylish long side bangs.
Braided Updo for Everyday Hairstyles
Braided Updo for Everyday Hairstyles via
It will create a perfect color pattern to make an updo style on blond ombre hair. Some braiding details can give more fun and interests to your hairstyle.
Double Braid Updo Hairstyle Tutorial
Double Braid Updo Hairstyle Tutorial via
It will look very special to create double braid for your updo hairstyle. This hairstyle is being an ideal option for those girls who love bo-ho chic looks.
Messy High Bun Hairstyle for Medium, Long Hair
Messy High Bun Hairstyle for Medium, Long Hair via
If you want to get a messy updo look, it would be a great idea to style your medium hair with choppy layers and tipped-cut ends at the moment.
Easy Updo Hairstyle for Shoulder length Hair
Easy Updo Hairstyle for Shoulder length Hair via
As cutting skills and coloring techniques have changed a lot, we will need some new ways to create a bun hairstyle for medium length hair.
Messy Updo Hairstyle with Headband
Messy Updo Hairstyle with Headband via
The trendy high bun hairstyle will definitely make you be the center of attention in any occasion. You can wear a thin headband for added glamor factors.
Quick Updo Hairstyle for Women
Quick Updo Hairstyle for Women via
This is a simple yet elegant updo hairstyle that will be very easy to make for average girls. It can be worn for both formal and informal occasions.
Cute High Bun Hairstyle Tutorial
Cute High Bun Hairstyle Tutorial via
It shows very interesting to create a high bun hairstyle on mid-length hair. Pull all you hair up into a high ponytail and make a lovely hair bow at one side.
Easy Twisty Bun Hairstyle Tutorial
Easy Twisty Bun Hairstyle Tutorial via
This hairstyle is full of style and fun for pretty girls. You can create two little pigtails first. Then twist them individually and join them with each other for a cute bun shape.
Easy Twisted Updo Hairstyle for Girls
Easy Twisted Updo Hairstyle for Girls via
The medium hairstyle will be much easier to style than the long hair. There’s no threatening to fall down when creating an up hairdo.
DIY Braid Into Updo Hairstyle for Medium Hair
DIY Braid Into Updo Hairstyle for Medium Hair via
To create this fabulous braided updo, you will need to make the bottom hair into a low ponytail, create two small braids with the front layers and pin them up above the pony base.
Messy Side Braid Updo Hairstyle for Girls
Messy Side Braid Updo Hairstyle for Girls via
It is a trendy way to create a messy side bun hairstyle this season. You can make all cute loops, twists or big curls into your medium layered hair.
Messy Updo Hairstyle for Girls
Messy Updo Hairstyle for Girls via
The updo hairstyle will show more admiring with tight curls, which can create a flattering body and shape for the whole look.
Easy Chignon Hairstyle Tutorial
Easy Chignon Hairstyle Tutorial via
It is a great idea to create a twisted chignon hairstyle on medium length hair. Place a flower above the hole as you like.
Messy Braid Updo Hairstyle Tutorial
Messy Braid Updo Hairstyle Tutorial via
To get this cute updo hair look, you should first style your medium hair into soft waves. Braid the front sections side by side and join them with the rest of hair into a boosted bun shape.
You can find more (bun hairstyles for medium hair) on prettydesigns.com
60 Trendiest Updos for Medium Length Hair
A medium length may set some restrictions on variability of hairstyles, since some ‘dos really look more advantageous on longer lengths. However, with shoulder-grazing hair you can also afford plenty of gorgeous updos which won’t ever give out your actual length. Updo hairstyles are an urgent topic for summer days when you need to keep your locks off the face and more or less organized. Besides, every formal event suggests an elegant ‘do, preferably a pulled up style. Whether you’ve dropped in to check on fresh ideas for casual looks or formal updos for shoulder-length hair, you are going to find here both. So, better take some minutes to check what we’ve found for you on the subject.
What updos are the best for medium length? It, certainly, depends on the occasion. However, we can sum up the most popular hairstyles for mid length and create a sort of summary on this topic. In brief, we can list these: buns, simple knots and French knots, braided updos and up hairstyles with tucked ends. Read further for a more detailed review.
Best Updos for Medium Length Hair
- Buns. A bun is probably the easiest updo you can do yourself. With medium length hair that is not thick enough, you may lack body which eventually tells on the bun’s size. Backcombing helps to add body and visually enlarge the bun’s size.
- Knots. Modern knots are rather loose and messy. Tease your hair at the roots to provide some lift around your face and make a low or high “imperfect” knot. Once it’s ready and fixed, you may pull at occasional strands to make loops. Don’t forget that deliberately messy styles are currently trendy.
- Braids. A rare casual updo comes these days without a braid. Whether it’s a chunky crown braid or a tight thin braid on one side to complement a bun, braids are very welcome in modern updos.
- Multi-component styles. Sometimes we do not want to keep it plain. The fanciest hairstyle designs come from multi-component hairstyles, combining, for example, twists and curls, a braid and a bun, a braid and a knot, etc. You may also create your own style, drawing inspiration from the following ideas.
#1: Chunky Braid Updo
Instagram / @sabrinadijkman
Updos can also be casual. Take this french braid for instance. The exaggerated weaving is totally cool and effortless. Even though it’s a more laid-back look, it works for everything from brunch with the girls to days at work. Dress it up with accessories for a formal affair.
#2: Blonde Bouffant Up Do
Fine hair can look incredibly flat in updo hairstyles because the strands have less width than average. In some cases, especially with light-colored hair, you can see the scalp peeking through. To combat this, create some height through the crown with a big bouffant.
#3: Fancy Roll for Medium Hair
If you opt for a simple look like this messy looped style, it would help to have some chunky highlights to add visual interest. They are especially exciting when twisted together to create a swirled mix of caramel and coffee hues.
#4: Cute Loopy Twisted Updo
Having medium hair doesn’t mean you can’t pull off a beautiful updo. This pretty twisted style makes fine hair look super thick and voluminous! The next time you have a wedding to attend, make this style your partner-in-crime. You can even stick a small flower or jeweled barrette in for detail!
Instagram / @kellgrace
#5: French Roll for Thin Medium Hair
Beautiful updos for shoulder length hair aren’t few and far between thanks to formal hairstyles like this one. The French Roll will help your thin hair stand out and look even more luscious than it is, even without extensions! Loosen a couple of strands around the face for softness.
Instagram / @kellgrace
#6: Formal Sleek Looped Updo
Intricate details make formal updos standout. Looping and weaving are not only visually intriguing, but also refined. Let down a couple of tendrils of hair around the face as a romantic and endearing finishing touch.
Instagram / @styles_by_reneemarie
#7: Loose Updo with a Diagonal Braid
A cute diagonal dutch braid is the short version of Elsa’s hair. With a wide braid across the back of your head, you’ll feel like a princess. The looseness helps keep the style casual, but it’s formal enough to wear even to prom!
Instagram / @goldplaited_
#8: Voluminous Messy Bun for Medium Hair
Who doesn’t appreciate an easy messy bun? No one would ever guess you were actually rushing to work or class when you gathered your bedhead hair into a low bun. The key to making this style work is not making it look too put together. The loose strands are flirty and feminine.
Instagram / @veronika_belyanko
#9: Fancy Loopy Updo for Medium Hair
Updos for medium hair come in all shapes and sizes, including this loopy style you can wear with bangs. Whether your bangs are cut straight across the forehead or side swept, they will top off this style with girly delicacy.
Instagram / @canaryrocksalon
#10: Messy Updo for Bob Length Hair
Texture is the key to a cool style. Whether your tresses are wrapped up tight or hang down your back, the piecey layered look teamed with waves is always going to be a magnet for compliments. The only thing that could make it better is a balayage.
Instagram / @blushandmane
#11: Elegant Buns and Chignons
Minimalism is a major trend in fashion, and it can easily be applied to the beauty industry as well. In fact, the simple, but elegant hairstyles you see here would be the perfect accent to a polished shift dress or a cashmere sweater and midi skirt.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#12: Messy Wavy Updo for Shorter Hair
Attending an event that’s more casual and relaxed? A boho-chic updo like this wavy mess packs color and texture into one amazing style. Highlighted waves are the focal point and will make you feel like the star of the show.
Instagram / @vlrenteriahair
#13: Messy Wrapped Chignon
The messy chignon, popularized by fashion icons like Lauren Conrad, still remains a consistent trend. For this hairstyle to truly shine, utilize day two or three hair to achieve the optimal level of messiness. Section off a chunky piece on each side, and make a low looped pony from the remaining hair. Wrap the side sections around the chignon and hide their ends under the elastic or pin with bobby pins.
Instagram / @les_allures
#14: Low Wavy Messy Updo
A messy updo will always be in style. The highlighted waves give chic hairdos like this one enhanced texture and easy detail. Pair it with statement earrings or a necklace, and you’re good to go! As always, loose wavy strands are the key to most bedhead looks.
Instagram / @kapsalonploegmakers
#15: Low Messy Knot Updo for Shorter Hair
Simple medium length updos often trick others into thinking you’ve spent more time on your hair than you actually did. The low knot is perfect for a weekend jaunt around town, a night out at a club, or a dinner with your girls.
Instagram / @jodycallanhair
#16: Low Curly Updo with a Small Bouffant
Successful easy updos for medium hair always look like a lot more effort went into creating them. At home, try teasing the crown of the head and styling the hair half up, half down. Then curl the ends and pin the ringlets of the lower half of the hair up without any particular pattern.
Instagram / @hairbybritny
#17: Delicate Curly Updo for Medium Hair
Always cute and always ready for a special event, curls are a classic for a reason. They are charming and flattering on any face shape. Plus, their spirals bring a dose of dimension and texture to your updo.
Instagram / @hairbybritny
#18: Twisted Crown Half Updo
Sometimes it’s tricky to create an updo with mid-length locks. If that’s your case, just go with a half up, half down hairstyle. Make two French twists from either side of your head and join them in the middle with bobby pins. If you want to add a little more oomph, you can’t go wrong with waves.
Instagram / @larougeartistry
#19: Low Flower Bun Updo
The rose tone of this hairstyle adds to the gorgeousness, but you can rock a low flower bun updo no matter what hair color you have. No need to add a faux flower accessory, the petals are built in for maximum detail.
Instagram / @annette_updo_artist
#20: Romantic Updo for Tousled Balayage Hair
When coming up with your dream prom hairstyle, definitely consider an updo. It’s classy and endearing and won’t distract from your gown, while still holding its own merit. The twists and curls are super cute and youthful. But, add in a few loose strands for a touch of much-needed movement.
Instagram / @blushandadore
#21: Loose Messy Updos
One of the shining points of Dolce & Gabbana’s show was the hair and makeup. Not only do they make a striking statement on the runways, but the messy updos for medium hair paired with a dark romantic lip and gilded accessories would be perfect for your next formal event.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#22: Contemporary French Roll Updos
Despite the previous look, there is some advantage to wearing a more traditional updo, like a French twist — especially if you are a busy woman who has to juggle many different kinds of events in one day. Easy updos, which can be done in 10 minutes or less, are your best bet.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#23: Loose Messy French Braided Updo
Enliven your locks and try an updo with bangs. This way your coif looks good in the front and back. The thin tendrils and fringe are sweet finishing touches that perfectly complement the romantic allure of a braided chignon.
Instagram / @sunkissedandmadeup
#24: Messy Chignon for Medium Hair
Hairdos for medium hair are not restricted to loosely waved bobs. Elevate your locks with a chignon. Feather out small sections of the updo to create texture, dimension and body. Without long locks or extensions, your bun might be lacking those key traits.
Instagram / @shelbyweatherholtzhair
#25: Lovely Twisted and Tied Updo
The weaving and knotting are neat and sophisticated. A few twists and pins are not difficult to do yourself on a daily basis but if you want something special for a special occasion it’s better to trust your locks to a trustworthy stylist.
Instagram / @rootedhairstudiolq
#26: Swirled and Pinned Updo
Up styles are great because you have so many styling options. A big barrel swirl gives the look of movement to your coif even though it’s held perfectly in place. The swooping and curves bring in that whimsical-yet refined-allure.
Instagram / @sova_hair
#27: Romantic Loose Curly Updo
Easy hairstyles for medium hair can really be as simple as styling big curls and creating a half up, half down style. Or experiment with a small chignon and curls spiraling out of it. The beauty of curls is that even if your hairdo isn’t perfectly neat, it will still look fabulous.
Instagram / @krystlewaiviohair
#28: Low Twisted and Tucked Updo
If you have the wedding in the nearest future, you need to make sure your look is ready! The tucked and braided low updo is an elegant formal option to consider. Set with hair spray so you can dance the night away!
Instagram / @heatherchapmanhair
#29: Twist and Pin Messy Updo
Sometimes the main attraction of updo hairstyles is in details. Several twisted rows of hair will make you look like you’re wearing a crown. Experiment with twists and braids to come up with your own lovely low updo. Loose tendrils on the sides are a nice finishing touch.
Instagram / @hair_by_laurasteiner
#30: Wavy Messy Low Bun Updo
Refreshing second day hair is easy: a little dry shampoo and a curling wand will give you a quick, textured beach wave. The third day after a wash is a little trickier, a little oiler, and has a few more unruly strands. The solution for this is a wavy updo; one that extends your previous style.
Instagram / @morganhairco
#31: Classy Bob Half Updo with Chain Braids
If your hair is too short to be pulled into easy updos for medium hair, master a few quick half updos. It also works well for those who don’t feel comfortable with all of their locks away from the face but want to change up the casual downdo style. Pairing the braid with a mini-bouffant contributes a sophisticated vibe.
Instagram / @annettewilkinsondesigns
#32: Textured Chignon Updo with Braided Elements
A sleek, shiny updo is made seemingly effortless by the incorporated braided elements. The strategic placement of plaits makes or breaks the look. In this case, it adds a detail around the crown and breaks up the formality of the hairstyle.
Instagram / @shelbyweatherholtzhair
#33: Tuck Updo with a Big Bouffant
The bigger the better, especially when it comes to bouffants! Big sexy hair comes to life with maximum volume on top. Loose textured locks make the look messy but magnificent. Try this updo with bangs swept to the side.
Instagram / @ashandcobridalhair
#34: Messy Low Chignon
This is a versatile coiffure for a semi-formal event or everyday wear! Show off the multiple tones of your hair color, whether you have highlights or balayage, and play around with your messy-chic chignon!
Instagram / @kellymccormickhair
#35: Side Braid-to-Bun Updo
This classic side-braided updo looks like something from a romantic black-and-white movie. Show the world you’re a classy lady when you shape rolled waves into a side bun. Whether you’re a bridesmaid or the bride, this style can work for you!
Instagram / @sweethearts_hair
#36: Low Messy Wavy Bun for Shorter Hair
When it comes to updos for medium length hair, it’s comforting to know the low bun is always there for you. A bit of pulling at waves creates easy texture, while the wavy tendrils near the face are a soft touch.
Instagram / @oliviahalpin
#37: Loose Curly Updos
Women who are fans of the romantic updo hairstyles in period movies like Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice will love these looks. These styles are pretty formal on their own, but you can take them up a notch with accessories like flowers or barrettes.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#38: Loose Rolled Bun
When it comes to updos for medium length hair, buns are not only a classy choice, but they also protect your ends from damage. As the hair rubs against clothing, friction breaks the cuticles and moisture is drawn away from the hair shafts, especially if you like to wear cotton tops, shirts, T-shirts, etc.
Instagram / @sarahwhair
#39: Knotted Mohawk Updo
Something you don’t see everyday, eh? Mohawk braids become more creative! If a low bun isn’t your thing, such a fancy braided Mohawk can work as a casual ‘do or a formal hairstyle. A few well-placed rhinestones or other accessories take the look up a notch.
Instagram / @fairclothfancy
#40: Messy Curly Updo with Face-Framing Tendrils
Commonly polished and neat updos compliment mature ladies, and younger women more often prefer a less refined finish. Pulling face-framing tendrils out and embracing an untamed curl can take medium length updos from polished to age-appropriate.
Instagram / @anyaganea
#41: Big Bouffant Updo for Shorter Hair
Short-haired girls unite! You may not have the length, but a bouffant updo is not out of reach for you. An easy style with not much effort, it’s a cute way to express your playful side.
Instagram / @gracestarbeauty
#42: Bob with Half Up Mohawk Braid
Looking for medium hair updos that don’t involve a bun? How about this half up fishtail braid? From the intricate braiding on the top to the loose flowing curls on the bottom, there are a few levels of awesome in this hairstyle.
Instagram / @cathie.mills
#43: Rosette Side Updo
Sometimes it’s the details that matter. At first glance this appears to be a simple side bun, but upon further inspection one notices that it resembles the petals of a blooming bud. This look can be casual or classy and can easily take you from work to happy hour.
#44: French Braid and Low Bun
Take the standard chignon to the next level by French braiding along the center of your head and overlapping the side sections at the nape of your neck. This style will work better if you have longer layers that won’t stick out of the braid, but shoulder length hair will work with it, too! Simply pull up the remaining hair into a smaller, cute roll!
Instagram / @harleyannartistry
#45: French Knot with Low Ponytail
Learning new updos for medium hair will add some spice, elegance, and interest to your routine style. One example is the French knot pony – a modern, simple, and sleek take on the low ponytail. The wrap-around technique gives a polished look while simultaneously covering that pesky hair elastic.
Instagram / @chantellemareehair
#46: Low Twisted Updo for Shorter Hair
Simple hair doesn’t have to be boring. It can still have eye-catching details, while also being understated. Updos for medium-length hair can’t offer many inches to work with, so a more minimalist approach is a win-win for those with shorter locks.
Instagram / @hairandmakeupbysteph
#47: Half Updos with Braided Details
Half updos are the best of both worlds; they can pull hair out of your face while still retaining some length to frame it. Braids and twists can take the basic style to the next level; from date night to a debutante ball, this look is a no brainer.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#48: Curly Pinned Updo for Shorter Hair
Are bobs your thing? Don’t worry; there are updos for shoulder-length hair too. Add some barrel curls to your cut, roll your ends upwards around your finger, and then tuck them with a bobby pin. For a touch of edge, bring in a thin braid going across the updo.
Instagram / @ashleyglazerhair
#49: Pinned Up Vintage Wavy Updos
Waves are so versatile – they can be used in a variety of ways within medium hair updos; slicked down finger waves give a retro Old Hollywood vibe, while more intricate loops can appear modern and futuristic.
Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
#50: Loose Braid-to-Bun Updo
Got a wedding coming up? Whether you’re the bride or a guest, an updo should be your go-to hairdo. Make yours unique by combining a fishtail braid with a cute bun. It’s a sleek look that still has volume and texture – the perfection trifecta.
Instagram / @kamalova
#51: Halo Fishtail Braid
Welcome a stunning version of braided updo on the base of fishtail braid. Halo braids are so perfect and at the same time they can look casual thanks to the texture and cute flyaways!
id68672009 / vk.com
#52: Voluminous Platinum Blonde ‘Do
Make a statement on your wedding day with gorgeous platinum blonde hair and a delicate wispy side bang. Add some volume with a bouffant. This is an ideal option for women with thinner hair.
id197408593 / vk.com
#53: Side Curly Bun with Braided Accent
Keep a formal updo from appearing too sweet by adding an interesting braided detail. Flatten the curls into creative coils and gather them into a low voluminous bun for a slightly updated take on the expected look. This is a worthy option for women with medium to long hair.
turnitskaya / vk.com
#54: Loose Low Braided Bun
You have to be strategic with formal hairstyles for medium hair, because you have minimal length to use. Create a small braided bun to make the most out of your locks. It’s much chicer than your usual lob, and will keep your locks off your face during a night on the dance floor.
Instagram / @sarahwhair
#55: Low-Key Loose Updo
Updos for medium hair do not always have to be polished and sleek for formal settings; they are perfect for everyday wear as well. Try a look that’s as low maintenance as possible so that you can spend more time enjoying your day and less time getting ready.
#56: Mid-Ponytail with Sparkled Comb
Gathering curls neither too low, nor high – somewhere in the middle creates the cutest fullness and a ponytail-like effect. Let the tendrils hang for a loose and lush look, leaving a few out around the front to frame the face. A small comb adds visual interest and makes this the perfect look for a prom or school dance.
tkudina / vk.com
#57: Twisted Medium Updo
Let this cute hairstyle for medium length hair inspire you on trying creative ‘dos that look simple yet special! Skip the classic chignon, and roll pieces of twisted hair into an intricate design. A small hairpin partly hidden by your creation will add some extra intrigue.
Instagram / @styles_by_reneemarie
#58: Messy Braid Medium Updo
Ladies with straight, medium length hair, this one is for you! Step away from the curling wand and try out this loose, messy braid. It’s effortlessly gorgeous, and relatively easy to DIY— leave out some pieces to frame your face, create a large braid on one side of your hair and loosely gather the remaining hair at the nape of your neck with bobby pins. Fan out some loops and you are good to go!
Instagram / @tonyastylist
#59: Wavy Pulled Back Bun
This is an excellent example of how to work with medium layered hair! Create this easy hairstyle by styling your hair wavy, and softly gathering it all back sans part. Depending on the length of your hair, arrange what’s left in a messy bun and voila!
Instagram / @sunkissedandmadeup
#60: Gathered Mid-Length Updo
Gathered updos are a go-to hairstyle for many occasions since they are delicate and flattering on all types of hair. It’s also an easy updo for medium hair! Curl your locks with a large barrel wand and gather them into a loose, curly chignon. The beauty of this ‘do is that it doesn’t need to be arranged perfectly to achieve the desired effect.
Instagram / @braidstudio
Well, these were pulled up styles for your shoulder-grazing locks. As you see, medium length provides you with multiple choices in modern updos. Some of them you can do yourself in a matter of minutes and others can be duplicated by a good stylist. Just pick the picture you like and be ready to try on a new stunning look…