- FitNation Flex Bike Ultra
- Recumbent Bike Reviews for 2020 – Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
- Recumbent Bikes at Home?
- Best Recumbent Bikes by Price
- Our Top Recumbent Bike Picks
- Recumbent Bike Features to Consider
- Benefits of Recumbent Bikes and How They Work
- What Is A Recumbent Bike?
- Other Recumbent Bike Considerations
- Final Word on Recumbent Bikes
- Flex Bike Ultra (ROYAL)
- Echelon Flex Bike Pro Upright Exercise Bike
FitNation Flex Bike Ultra
*Black and Purple variants are currently preorder only. Product will begin shipping in March
Pedal past all your goals with the Flex Bike Ultra. Multiple levels of adjustable magnetic resistance ensure that you’ll be able to challenge yourself, while built-in resistance bands allow you to work your upper body as well. The LCD display has six functions to track your progress: speed, time, distance, scan, calories, and pulse. When you’re finished, simply fold-up and wheel away for easy storage.
The FitNation Flex Bike Ultra System Includes:
- Flex Bike, hardware, and 2 AA batteries
- Heavy-duty steel frame construction
- LCD display with six functions: speed, time, distance, scan, calories, and pulse
- Multiple levels of adjustable magnetic resistance
- Built-in, upper-body resistance bands
- Fixed handlebars with hand pulse functionality
- Adjustable seat with padded cushion
- Non-skid foot pedals with safety straps
- Fold-up design; wheels for easy transport
- Spot clean with a damp cloth
- Some assembly required
- Approximate measurements:
- Standing 41″H x 21-1/2″W x 42-1/2″L
- Folded 54″H x 21-1/2″W x 17″L
- Weighs 39 lbs, 14 oz
- 1-year Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty
Recumbent Bike Reviews for 2020 – Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Last Updated on January 19, 2020
To jump to the best recumbent bikes by price or our top picks, click here:
Best Recumbent Bikes by Price
Top Recumbent Bike Picks
Recumbent bikes such as the Schwinn 270 and the Diamondback 910SR are hugely popular pieces of exercise equipment that help you get an excellent workout while reclining in a very comfortable position. These types of exercise bikes are very often seen in gyms and fitness clubs, but they’re great for the home as well. We’ve put together this comprehensive guide to help you find the best recumbent bike for your home fitness.
Recumbent Bikes at Home?
Recumbent bikes are very popular in fitness clubs and gyms, and for good reason. It’s a great way to either warm up the body for further workout routines, or for a solid workout in itself. And with a recumbent exercise bike in your own home, you’re a lot more likely to be motivated to get those great workouts underway. The bike will be staring you in the face, begging for you to get on and get cycling.
Ordering a recumbent bike online is easy, and you’ll be able to find the best prices and shipping options on sites like Amazon. Plus you avoid having to carry the heavy bike box home from the local fitness store.
Investing in your own recumbent bike is an excellent way to take your health and fitness to the next level in the comfort of your own home. Best of all, you can park the recumbent bike right in front of your TV or computer and control your own entertainment while working out. Pop on some headphones and get in the zone. Or just prop a book up and get your reading in while getting your cardio on.
Best Recumbent Bikes by Price
The recumbent bike category includes brands and models that include a large array of features and price levels. It’s a lot to consider. But the good news is that when shopping for recumbent bike, you’ll see that there’s something for everyone and you are guaranteed to find one that fits your budget and fitness goals. To help you find the right recumbent bike, we’ve listed what we feel are the best by price range below:
PRICE RANGE: $100-$400:
Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Pulse – $159 – 2,718 Reviews
Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike – $399 – 240 Reviews
PRICE RANGE: $400-$600:
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise Bike – $429 – 770 Reviews
Exerpeutic 4000 Magnetic Recumbent Bike with Bluetooth Technology – $399 – 187 Reviews
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike – $599 – 866 Reviews
PRICE RANGE: $600-$1000:
Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike – $550 – 84 Reviews
ProForm 400 ES Recumbent Bike – $660 – 10 Reviews
Diamondback 510SR Recumbent Bike – $899 – 75 Reviews
NordicTrack VR21 Recumbent Bike – $749
NordicTrack VR25 Recumbent Bike – $899 (Holiday sale price)
Diamondback 910SR Recumbent Bike – $1,199 – 48 Reviews
PRICE RANGE: $1000 and up:
SOLE Fitness LCR Light Commercial Recumbent Bike – $1,899 – 31 Reviews
Our Top Recumbent Bike Picks
#1. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 270 is one of the best recumbent bikes on the market hands-down. It comes with 25 levels of resistance, 29 programmed workouts, and a ton of features including Bluetooth, heart rate monitoring, fans and speakers that make working out (amazingly) something you’ll look forward to.
The DualTrack monitor system is an innovative display that allows you to prop up your iPad, tablet, or book right in front of you on the main LCD display, but you’ll still see your workout data on the secondary screen.
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike’s flywheel is perimeter-weighted to help give it a very realistic road-momentum and smooth-cycling workout.
To better keep track of your progress, you’ll be able to download your workout data to Nautilus Connect or MyFitnessPal via Bluetooth. And if you want to rock out on the bike’s in console speakers, just plug your MP3 player into to the USB port.
Schwinn is a household name in exercise equipment and their expertise and devotion to quality is well represented here in the Schwinn 470.
Comparable in price and features to the Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike, and a step up from the Schwinn 230, the Schwinn 270 Recumbent is a great-looking, high-tech, durable and reliable piece of equipment that will challenge you with intense yet low-impact workouts in the comfort of your own home. :
Read Full Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike Review
#2. Diamondback 910SR Fitness Recumbent Bike
The Diamondback 910SR Recumbent Bike has just about everything you’d want on a recumbent exercise cycle. This is a highly-adjustable, highly-durable, and great-looking recumbent bike with solid warranties. That said, the best part about the Diamondback 910SR is the tech. Offering an incredible 35 workout programs and 32 levels of Eddy Current Resistance, the Diamondback 910SR keeps you endlessly challenged. You’ll never hit a fitness plateau as you’ll be able to switch up your workouts and give your body something new to work on.
The adjustable console on the 910SR is a sight to behold. It’s a beautiful digital monitor that controls all of the bike’s functions and displays all workout data in a very user-friendly way.
Beyond that, the Diamondback 910SR recumbent bike has heart rate monitoring and a Polar compatible wireless receiver, 2 user profiles, inputs for iPad, iPod, iPhone, or other MP3 players, fans, a water bottle holder, a magazine rack, and transport wheels. The only thing it doesn’t do is give you a foot massage. Maybe in the next model.
The strength and stability of this bike is evident in its 325 lbs user capacity and lifetime limited warranty on frame and brakes, and 3 years on electronics and parts. Diamondback, a respected leader in bicycles for years, obviously has confidence in this machine.
In comparison, the Diamondback 510SR is a solid, but more basic version of the 910SR and without a lot of the more premium features. We feel it’s worth it to spend a few hundred dollars more for this model since you’ll be spending a lot of time working out and will want the niceties.
Read Full Diamondback 910SR Recumbent Bike Review
Recumbent Bike Features to Consider
Indoor Bike Computer
Models such as the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike feature computers that display an array of helpful information that helps you track your fitness progress. Data such as time, distance, and calories goal tracking keep you aware of where you’re at in your workout and encourage you to push on to higher goals. Some computers also feature the ability to switch between users.
Resistance Adjustment and Pre-Programmed Workouts
Resistance is the name of the game on recumbent bikes. And being able to quickly and easily fine-tune your recumbent’s resistance level to get a challenging yet achievable workout is going to keep you coming back for more. Additionally, many recumbent bike displays allow you to control pre-programmed workouts and some are even paired with a heart-rate monitor to give you a cardio workout that is dictated by your target heart rate level. A variety of resistance levels and pre-programmed workouts will keep you challenged and coming back for more.
Some recumbent bike monitors also feature the ability to download your workout data to apps such as MyFitnessPal to help you keep a running record of your progress.
Speakers and Fans
Finally, some recumbent exercise bicycles feature nice extras such as fans to cool you off and speakers and charging USB ports so you can plug in and listen to your own music while working out.
Heavy flywheels are ideal for experiencing a realistic road feel momentum. Some models feature perimeter-weighted flywheels to further enhance and mimic the feeling of being on a road bike in a quiet and smooth way.
Adjustable Seat Position
You’ll want a bike that has the ability to adjust the seat fore and aft. This will help get the bike to fit you, not the other way around.
A solid warranty on a recumbent bike’s frame and parts shows that the manufacturer has confidence in the quality of their equipment and expect it stand up to vigorous use.
Most recumbent bikes can accommodate users at least 250 lbs (113kg) in weight.
Benefits of Recumbent Bikes and How They Work
Intense, Low-Impact Workout
Most forms of exercise involve a lot of downward thrust to the legs. This in turn can cause a lot of stress to your knees, ankles, hips, back, etc. You might not feel the effects at first, but over time performing exercises like running can start to bring pain. And if you’re in pain, you’re a lot less likely to continue exercising.
Exercising on a recumbent bike, on the other hand, allows you to recline into a comfort position and take the weight off your hips and back. This does not mean that you won’t get a great workout. You’ll be able to make the cycling action as intense and challenging as you can handle to help burn calories and tone your legs and glutes.
Achieve Cardio Excellence
While working out on a recumbent bike will get your legs and butt toned like no other, it’s the cardio benefit that get a lot of people excited. That includes your doctor. Research shows that a minimum of 20 minutes a day of activity that increases your heart rate to a cardio-fitness level is a vital part of overall physical fitness. And most importantly it reduces your risk of heart disease and other serious health issues. On a recumbent bike like the Schwinn 230, you can slowly and safely achieve maximum cardio health right at home.
Depending on your weight and fitness level, you can potentially burn hundreds of calories per hour on a recumbent bike. It’s up to you how intense you want to go via increasing resistance levels or trying a tough new pre-programmed workout. Plus if you’re building muscle, you’re increasing your overall metabolism, which means you’ll notice that you’re burning more calories even after the workout is done.
The Amazing Feeling of Exercise
The benefits of exercising on machine like the recumbent stationary bike don’t stop when you step off after your workout. Sustained workouts, even light ones, can increase endorphins and even reduce the symptoms of depression. Beyond that you’ll feel happier because you’ll be able to move better with your increased muscular strength and tone, and reduced overall body weight.
One of the best things about having a recumbent bike at home is the money you’ll save by not going to the gym. You’ll be saving money on gas and memberships.
What Is A Recumbent Bike?
Recumbent stationary bikes are a type of indoor exercise bike that allow you sit down and back in order to take the weight off your upper back. This gives you the ability to concentrate your workout on your legs in a really safe and comfortable way. This is great news for people with any kind of upper or lower back problems. The recumbent position takes the weight off parts of your body that otherwise would be activated in what can sometimes be a negative or painful way.
Compared to other exercise equipment, the recumbent exercise bike has one of the most ergonomic and low-impact designs you can find. On a recumbent bike, you are avoiding the leaning-over that happens on an upright exercise bike or indoor cycle, which can lead to back pain over time. You won’t experience the hard-hitting action on your knees like you would while running on a treadmill. And you’re not working your hips in what can be a somewhat unnatural way like on an elliptical. It’s the familiar and straight-forward leg cycling motion, but with a welcome, back-relaxing twist.
How Do Recumbent Bikes Work?
A recumbent bike is a stationary cycle that has a seat, a back rest, and you pedal with your legs in front, rather than down below you as on an upright bike. This position is very ergonomic and back-friendly, and it accounts for the high appeal of this type of exercise bike. Resistance is often magnetic and is applied to a flywheel much as on an indoor cycle. The flywheel creates a momentum that mimics the feel of cycling on an open road. As you pedal faster or slower, you work all of your lower body including calves, thighs, and glutes. There is even some abdominal effect as you keep your abs tight to maintain your leg position. Programmed workouts will vary the resistance based on things like your monitored heart-rate or hill scenarios.
Other Recumbent Bike Considerations
Wear Proper Shoes
It’s important to wear shoes while working out on any type of exercise machine. Gears on recumbent bikes will be moving fast and you don’t want to get hurt. Any type of running shoe or cross trainer will work fine. Just make sure the shoe has a closed front to protect your toes.
Loose fitting clothes can get caught in exercise equipment and isn’t recommended. Try wearing shorts and shirts that fit a little bit more snug and make sure no parts of your clothing are hanging down near any gears.
Recumbent Bike Maintenance
You’re probably going to be sweating during a good recumbent bike workout, so just make sure to towel off the equipment when you’re done. A solid recumbent exercise bike can withstand a lot, but it always helps to keep moisture off the machine. It will keep it in working shape longer and keep it looking better.
Final Word on Recumbent Bikes
Here’s exercising in a nutshell: If you don’t enjoy the workout, it won’t work out. You have to enjoy it!
Recumbent bikes are a unique type of exercise machine that really places a high importance on making sure you are comfortable while working out. While it may seem obvious, it’s a key concept that if you don’t like the feeling, you won’t do it. Or at least not for long. Recumbent bikes have developed as way to keep people coming back for intense, effective workouts that don’t hurt the back, knees, or other joints. And nowadays, the technology that comes with recumbents is enough to make you not want to leave the bike. In fact some people spend hours cycling on these machines while watching shows on their tablets, or listening to music or audio books. If enjoying your workout makes you work out, then recumbent bikes are, without a doubt, the most effective machines you can buy.
Read ahead to get info of what’s in store whilst you select up the sort of exercise equipment. There are 2 primary types of fitness bikes available lately. These are the upright and the recumbent types of exercise bikes.
Upright Exercise Bikes
This kind is attractive and the most similar to traditional outside bicycling. It has the similar position and body movements, and calls for you to activate muscles in your arms and shoulders just like you possibly can whilst biking open air. Given the upright position you need to handle all the way through the training period, your belly muscular tissues get worked as smartly, which is a muscle group usually left out in bikes like the recumbent. The remaining benefit is the size of the gadget itself, known in the train world because the machine’s footprint. Since it’s footprint is rather small, it lets in more room within the room to put different exercise equipment. That being stated, no bike is ideal, now not even the stationary ones. The dangers that come with an upright bike are more quality of lifestyles, but have an effect whilst paired with a devoted fitness regimen. In case your shape is correct then your back will likely be hunched which will create muscle soreness and fatigue. Another downside is that it’s better suited for people who find themselves already athletic. Given the hard nature of the exercise, it’s paired absolute best with anyone who works out often however needs to make use of the bike for at home health.
Recumbent Exercise Bikes
A recumbent bike is the second form of exercise bike. With a simple change in seating, the various dangers of the upright bike are alleviated, at the same time as trading out a extra severe exercise. In a recumbent bike the rider’s physique sits easily into the frame, with so much carrying higher seats and armrests. The reclined physique place and pedal placement allow for a less engaging but comfy exercise. The seating and dimension stop any saddle issues and the reclined position makes for an easier train on the neck and again. The ultimate advantage is that a recumbent bike can be utilized via other folks in all walks of existence. From bodily remedy and restoration, to an enjoyable enjoy in home fitness, the recumbent fits the needs of with regards to anybody. Again, no bike is perfect and the recumbent mirrors a lot of the benefits of the upright with it’s downfalls. The comfort of the recumbent make for a less intense workout, and put the workload onto your lower body. You’ll do an entire train with out ever enticing the upper physique which makes for much less fitness to your time. The query of which is the best house exercise bike will remain made up our minds by means of the consumer. Now that the difference, we’ll speak about what you will have to look for in bikes whilst shopping for one.
Features And Comfort
While selecting an fitness bike, the most important thing to consider is your fitness goals. The top fitness bikes will always be what fits your goals, effort, and wallet the best. With that during mind, there are a few fundamental components which might be needed in any bike. You wish to have it to at all times come with things like resistance variations, so your bike can progressively get more difficult as you get stronger. You need a screen on it that tells you basic stats such as distance, velocity and calories burned. Comfort should be at the top of the priority record, especially should you’ll be cycling ceaselessly. Your pedals should at all times have straps for safety, and the handlebars must be screwed tight to the machine. On account that steadiness is such the most important part of all training, at all times check the weight and size prohibit to make sure to’re not going to injure your self. Non-compulsory accessories include things like a heart rate screen, folding for more room control, and integrated fans for cooling. Maintain those in thoughts and also you must be able to pick out your self up a pleasing bike suited to your targets, with out breaking the bank!
Benefits For Using An Exercise Bike
There are advantages to using any form of exercise bike, which is without doubt one of the reason it’s grow to be such a common instrument. The low-impact nature is simple to tackle, whether or not you’re a qualified biker in training or just seeking to keep your self are compatible. The bikes are used usually inside which means you can exercise whether or not it’s rain or shine, and the wide range of makes use of make the bike a very versatile health option for anyone desiring to live a healthier lifestyle.
In conclusion, there’s a bike available in the market for everybody. Whether or not you like the upright, or the comfortable recumbent, exercise bikes are helpful for anyone and are a great addition to any exercise regimin. Get more details on top selling exercise bikes.
Flex Bike Ultra (ROYAL)
Sadly, I did not buy this on Amazon, but only because QVC aired it on its debut and that’s where I saw it first. I have the bike in black. Owned it for a little over a week now and have used it a handful of times already and so far, so great! If I have any “hits” or “misses” as time goes by, I will update my review.
1. I have mine in Black-not sure if Amazon will carry this color right away or if you have to wait but the other colors are cool.
2. The price-it’s great! I considered getting a spin bike for my apartment but then I realized it would take up too much room in the small space I have. A decent spin bike costs more than this little gem as well so I like that I can save some $$.
3. Assembly: Easy! I glanced at the instructions before putting it together and nothing stood out as being very difficult. I consider myself fairly handy and have put together a few exercise items over time and this was probably the least complicated of all. The most difficult part were the handlebars. There are four screws and I found the easiest way to insert them properly was to tilt the handlebars towards the seat to help the holes align properly on all sides. Aside from that, I used a Phillips screwdriver instead of the provided tool to mount the display on to the handlebars. Took me about 30 minutes total to put it together. One note: There was one random screw in the box after I unpacked everything. I set it aside and sure enough, I needed it later so check your packaging thoroughly upon unpacking in case anything got loose (some of the screws are already in but lightly tightened) during shipping.
4. Packaging. Simple and not overly complicated. About a dozen, wrapped parts all together. Even though my box had a hole from shipping, the equipment was fine. I was easily able to move the box from outside to indoors and it really didn’t add a lot of weight to the overall item making it easy to manage on my own.
5. Equipment: I wasn’t sure what to expect with this when I ordered it but seeing the demo on TV with a fairly heavy-set girl and a very big, muscular guy both using it, and the bike not wiggling at all, gave me the impression that it was constructed well. I am happy that this seems to be the case. I’m no thin-mint by any means and this thing holds me up just fine and doesn’t move about when I’m peddling fast. I love that aspect. The materials used are strong, yet lightweight metal, with some plastic parts, which makes this a dream to move about as the unit probably weighs in at 40lbs or so. Years ago I had a similar bike (recumbent only) but it was nearly 75lbs and I hated to move it and I also had to use a mat under it to absorb some of the sound the flywheel made. This bike is VERY quiet. In fact, the only noise I really hear is from using the the hand grips/cables! I live on a lower floor but would have no problem using this upstairs either-it’s that quiet. The Display is nice-nothing fancy at all but you get your basic info plus the heart-rate which is a nice touch for the price, plus, it’s battery operated and they’re included! No need to plug anything in.. I noticed that the right-hand side HR monitor seemed a tad loose (it comes attached already) so I simply tightened the screw on the back and that worked. There is room for a cell phone and small-ish tablet to lie on the display with a little tray to help keep it in place-very nice addition. Pedals are sturdy and have straps to keep your feet in place. I wear my sneakers when working out as I would at the gym and these pedals are comparable to those on some of the bikes at the gym in their sturdiness and the feel of the strap (strong). There is also a little “ring” looking device that connects to the handlebars that you can put your cell phone in as well which is nice. It fits my phone with or without the case (I prefer without) and I suspect will hold a smaller water bottle, if needed, or a towel (it rotates too which is nice). The seat is comfortable-fairly thick and wide with good padding. This bike goes from Recumbent to upright as well which is awesome! For now, I’m using it in upright mode but the backrest piece is comfy so that if I used it in recumbent I’d still be comfortable.
6. The App…well, I downloaded it on my cell phone but it played in spurts tonight. I have a small tablet that I’ll download it on to as I’m not sure if it was an issue with my phone and lack of memory, or that their server was clogged (a lot of folks have ordered these as of the “New Year” “new me” thing). Regardless, the little bit I saw, looked good and I’d rather have the videos on my small tablet instead of my cell phone anyway.
Overall, I’m very happy with this purchase for the price-point and with regular care (tightening the screws, etc., on occasion, as they do and should, on gym equipment, I expect it to last a while, excepting the tension bands which I’m sure can be replaced easily enough if need be and…the tension is adjustable!) The price offered here on Amazon is excellent so if you’re really interested, I wouldn’t hesitate if the cost is in your wheelhouse and I hope my review helps with your decision-making process!
Echelon Flex Bike Pro Upright Exercise Bike
- Convertible bike can be used in upright as well as recumbent positions
- Multiple magnetic resistance levels allow you to challenge yourself
- In-built resistance bands with foot operated adjustable tensions feature 3 adjustable intensity levels, targeting both upper and lower body
- In-built pulse monitor at the handlebars track your heart rate
- Laptop/tablet holder secures your device and keeps you entertained during workouts
- Adjustable seat with padded cushion enables you to tailor it to the ideal height for maximum comfort
- Non-skid pedals with safety straps ensure your safety during vigorous workout sessions
- Echelon Fit app (subscription sold separately) provides live or on-demand classes designed by certified instructors to keep you motivated
- Foldable design allows you to free up your living space when the bike is not in use
- Accommodates up to 136kg (300lb.)
- Product dimensions: Width: 108cm (42.52″); height: 104cm (40.95″); depth: 54.6cm (21.5″)
- Fold dimensions: Width: 55.9 cm (22″); height: 132 cm (52″); depth: 68.58cm (27″)
- Recommended floor space dimensions: Length: 170cm (66.93″); width: 160cm (63″)
- Frame warranty: 1 year
- Motor warranty: 1 year
- Deck warranty: 1 year