- Top 10 Cheap Weekend Getaways
- Weekend Getaways to Book Now
- How to Find Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
- U.S. Cities for Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
- 3. Nashville, TN
- International Destinations for Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
- 17 small cities for a perfect weekend getaway
- 1. Big Bear Lake, California
- 2. Oxford, Mississippi
- 3. New Ulm, Minnesota
- 4. Claremore, Oklahoma
- 5. Skaneateles, New York
- 6. Wimberley, Texas
- 7. St. Michaels, Maryland
- 8. Santa Cruz, California
- 9. Lancaster, Ohio
- 10. Rocheport, Missouri
- 11. Ellensburg, Washington
- 12. Cloudcroft, New Mexico
- 13. Landrum, South Carolina
- 14. Destin, Florida
- 15. Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
- 16. Bisbee, Arizona
- 17. Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Why You Need To Follow The Weekend Getaway Trend
- A Weekend Getaway Works Wonders For Your Mental And Emotional Health
- It Boosts Your Productivity
- You Can Explore More Places
- Weekend Getaways Can Mean Fun Roadtrips With Your Friends
- A Weekend Getaway Costs Way Less Money Than A Week Long Vacation
- You’ll Maximise Your Time Away
- You’ll Only Need A Carryon
- Organising A Pet Sitter Is Much Easier
- A Weekend Getaway Is A Great Way To Meet New People
- Planning A Weekend Getaway Is A Great Mood Booster
- Best Weekend Getaways Tweet
- Weekend Vacation Ideas & Vacation Spots near Me
- Weekend Destinations & Vacation Spots near me
- Quick weekend getaways – Weekend Vacation Ideas by Interest
- Weekend Holidays – Long Weekend Getaways
- Spa Weekend Getaways
Top 10 Cheap Weekend Getaways
- Las Vegas, NV
- Nashville, TN
- Chicago, IL
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Atlanta, GA
- Cancun, Mexico
- Costa Rica
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Toronto, Canada
Weekend Getaways to Book Now
|Departure City||Destination||Round-Trip Fare|
|Boston||New York City||$97|
|New York City||Orlando||$77|
|New York City||Toronto||$180|
These prices were valid as of November 1, 2019, and may not always be available.
How to Find Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
to find cheap weekend getaways now. No matter where you want to go or which airline you want to fly, a dream weekend away is at your fingertips!
Enter your desired departure airport, then enter a destination—put “ORD,” “MDW” or simply “CHI” if you want to search flights to Chicago. Your search results will look something like this:
The Skyscanner app also allows you to explore the best available flight deals to give you some travel inspiration:
Feeling zapped for inspiration? Instead of searching for individual destinations, tap “Plan Your Next Trip” on the app’s home screen. Then, browse the best upcoming weekend getaways by tapping “This Weekend” or “Next Weekend.” Choosing the “Explore” option, on the other hand, will show a list of deals for specific flights.
Searching on Wednesday for flights Friday?Read Skyscanner’s last minute flight guide for expert tips. Or, if you’ve got more time, continue scrolling to read about the top destinations for cheap weekend getaways.
U.S. Cities for Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
1. Las Vegas, NV
Las Vegas has more hotels rooms per capita than any other city in the US, which means you’re guaranteed to have a cheap weekend away, even if your flight costs a lot. Of course, we bet that when you search Skyscanner for flights to Las Vegas, high prices are the the last thing you’re going to find.
2. Chicago, IL
Whether you catch a show at the Chicago Theater or catch a wave on Lake Michigan, Chicago is sure to be your kind of town. Check out Skyscanner’s travel guide to Chicago for more Windy City travel inspiration.
3. Nashville, TN
What’s better than running into your favorite country musician as you walk past the Grande Ole Opry, or have a meal at the Bluebird Café? Saving on your flight to Nashville of course. TIP: Sign up for Skyscanner Price Alerts to ensure you don’t miss out when prices on flights to Nashville drop!
4. Salt Lake City, UT
The only thing better than the mountains that flank Salt Lake City? The clean air, clean streets and family friendly vibe. Make sure and appreciate the stunning architecture of the Mormon Temple, which is one of America’s most unique buildings!
5. Atlanta, GA
The de-facto hub of the South, Atlanta is a peach of a city, home not only to the world headquarters of Coca Cola and Six Flags Over Georgia, but exciting districts like Midtown and, of course, the world’s busiest airport.
International Destinations for Cheap Weekend Getaway Deals
1. Cancun, Mexico
When it comes to cheap weekend getaways south of the border, Cancun is where it’s at. Looking for someplace a bitter farther off the beaten path? Search flights to Cozumel, which gets you up-close and personal with some of Mexico’s best diving.
The home of pop star Rihanna, and home to natural wonders like Carlisle Bay, Bathsheba Beach, and Harrison’s Cave, Barbados is the picture of exclusivity. Can’t find the Barbados flight you want? Try searching flights to Antigua instead.
3. Costa Rica
A trip to Costa Rica is like a cross section of the planet’s ecological heritage, whether you admire sloths on the Caribbean coast in Cocles, or take a dip in hot springs hotels near Arenal Volcano. Book your flight to San Jose now.
4. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
If it’s all-inclusive Caribbean resorts you’re after, Punta Cana is the place to be. On the other hand, if you want a more authentically Dominican cultural experience, consider searching flights to Santo Domingo instead.
5. Toronto, Canada
Toronto’s not a cheap city, but flights can be surprisingly affordable. TIP: If you’re not afraid of the cold, save on Toronto hotels by visiting during winter. This also tends to produce the clearest skies when it comes to views from the CN Tower!
Whether you’re sneaking in one more summer vacation or getting ahead of planning a future escape—TripAdvisor is here to help! There’s no need for far-flung airline tickets in this wanderlust-worthy roundup. We’re featuring the best weekend trips by region so you can find one that’s close to you. These top weekend getaways across America offer amazing activities, scenic sightseeing, great attractions, stellar weather—or all of the above!
Even if you’re only on vacation for a couple days, finding the perfect place to stay is easy with TripAdvisor. From cozy cabins or breezy beach houses, to downtown condos and apartments, TripAdvisor has affordable rental properties available to book right on our site. Whether a quick weekend break or long weekend getaway, these destinations are worth the car ride!
And once you decide on a destination, you can book all your tours, activities, and attractions right on TripAdvisor. Plus, our new 24-hour cancellation policy means you can pre-book before arriving, but still have the flexibility to cancel if your itinerary changes.
Cape May, NJ
Don’t let its location fool you—Cape May is the antithesis of the Jersey Shore. This iconic beach destination sets itself apart from other Jersey Shore destinations with its rich history and architecture, but still has the same super-convenient location from major Northeastern cities. In fact, the entire city was named a National Historic Landmark in 1976. Though the town has clean beaches and fine dining options, you can also escape the sun at a beautiful beach rental or a number of museums, including the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum or the open-air living history museum at Cold Spring Village. If you want to get out on the water, consider booking a whale-watching cruise or fishing charter!
Find a great place to stay in Cape May!
For a sophisticated weekend getaway, Providence delivers. Get your fix of culture with the small town’s many art shows, plays, and culinary delights, all delivered with Ivy League charm. Between the Rhode Island School of Design Museum of Art and the grand buildings of Brown University, you’ll find plenty to explore.
Find a great place to stay in Providence!
Saranac Lake, NY
New Yorkers have long flocked to Saranac Lake for its supposed healing powers—the Adirondack lake was considered a place to heal from tuberculosis during the 19th century. Today, visitors can still reap the same healing benefits from fresh air and quality time away from big city crowds. A stroll through the downtown introduces you to the city’s charming character: find bookshops and art galleries intermingled with farm-to-table restaurants and local watering holes. Of course, the lake itself and nearby hiking trails are a huge draw in and of themselves, so be sure to schedule some time for outdoor fun.
Find a great place to stay in Saranac Lake!
A weekend getaway in Provincetown is really fun—hands down. The famously LGBTQ-friendly beach town is packed with things to do (everything from great nightlife to dolphin watching tours), all with gorgeous beaches close by. The town is also home to the Pilgrim Monument, a big nod to American heritage and a commemoration of where the Mayflower Compact was written.
Find a great place to stay in Provincetown!
The town of Williamsburg is best known as the home of Colonial Williamsburg, an authentic colonial city that puts history books to shame. Lifelike historical reenactments and an almost entirely preserved town make you feel like you’re actually a colonist (taking a Williamsburg tour helps). If you need to get back to the modern world, though, it’s easy enough to do. Just take a short drive to Busch Gardens Williamsburg or Water Country USA for full days of kid-approved fun.
Find a great place to stay in Williamsburg!
St. Augustine, FL
If you want more to do on your Florida weekend getaway than just chill on the beach, St. Augustine is a good pick. This historic city was the first and longest-inhabited European settlement in Florida, boasting a history dating back to 1565. Fort Matanzas National Monument the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park are good places to start learning about Florida’s settler history (or take a ghost tour for a spookier recounting). In addition, you can see white tigers and other rare rescued animals at the St. Augustine Wild Reserve or head out to St. Augustine Beach, just a short drive away. Book a hop-on, hop-off sightseeing pass to explore all of St. Augustine’s great attractions in a convenient manner.
Find a great place to stay in St. Augustine!
Nashville saunter and Appalachian ease come together in Chattanooga, one of the best weekend trips in the Southeast. Here you’ll find homestyle barbecue and upscale cuisine in equal measure and enough outdoor entertainment and cultural activities that your escape practically plans itself. Get a lay of the land on a hop-on hop-off trolley tour, and then head to the Tennessee River for a stroll along the renovated riverwalk or a cruise past the city skyline and under its well-recognized Walnut Street Bridge. Plus, Chattanooga is conveniently located within driving distance of big Southeastern cities like Nashville, Knoxville, and Atlanta, so you can turn your long weekend getaway into a memorable road trip.
Find a great place to stay in Chattanooga!
Bavarian bakeries and German architecture meet Southern hospitality in Helen, an alpine city with strong Bavarian roots that might trick you into pulling out your passport. The downtown doesn’t take long to explore—it’s small-town charm at it’s best—but luckily, there’s plenty to explore once you’re done. A handful of waterfalls including Anna Ruby Falls and Raven Cliff Falls are right nearby, as well as Unicoi State Park (its beach is pictured above) and the Yonah Mountain Hiking Trail, all of which let you enjoy the area’s beautiful location in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Find a great place to stay in Helen!
Door County, WI
Summer is arguably the best time to take a long weekend getaway to Door County. The skinny Door Peninsula sticks out from the rest of Wisconsin to jut into Lake Michigan, leaving 300 miles of lakefront beaches in its wake. Book a kayak tour to explore the lake, bring the whole family along for zipline adventures in Wisconsin’s woods, or check out popular outdoor sites like Peninsula State Park. A rich mix of cultural activities means that on either end of your outdoor adventures you can peruse art galleries, head to the Peninsula Players Theatre, or sample authentic Wisconsin cheese at the Door County Creamery.
Find a great place to stay in Door County!
A quaint downtown and off-the-beaten-track feel make Galena one of the best weekend getaways from many Midwestern cities, including Chicago and Milwaukee. The city is well-stocked with historical homes: The Ulysses S. Grant Home has the most star power because it was a gift to the country’s president after the Civil War. After touring sites and monuments, wind down with a taste of craft spirits at Blaum Bros. Distilling Co., an extremely popular watering hole in town.
Find a great place to stay in Galena!
Sioux Falls, SD
Slip away to Sioux Falls for one of the best weekend trips in the Midwest. This scenic city blends gorgeous outdoors with enough urban activities to keep you entertained. The city has plenty of shopping, dining, and nightlife in its downtown area, and also has Falls Park and the Sioux Falls Bike Trails right in the city so you don’t need to travel far for your fix of outdoor fun.
Find a great place to stay in Sioux Falls!
Long gone are Cincinnati’s dreary industrial days. Discovering the city’s polished character is a pleasure as you explore museums and attractions in each of Cincinnati’s personality-rich enclaves. Consider a delectable food tour to try local beers and barbecue and other hidden-gem eateries, Though there is plenty to see as you wander through the historic neighborhoods, make sure you also get to must-see destinations like Smale Riverfront Park, Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption, and the Cincinnati Art Museum. On busy weekends, it helps to book tickets to top destinations like the Cincinnati Zoo in advance. If you’ve got kids in tow, book your ticket in advance to Splash Cincinnati Waterpark.
Find a great place to stay in Cincinnati!
Coeur D’Alene, ID
As one of the best weekend getaways in the Northwest, Coeur D’Alene knows how to show visitors a good time. The town offers a mix of everything: tee-up at golf courses right on the lake or bring the kids along for days packed with roller coasters and water sports on Coeur D’Alene Lake. No matter how you spend your days, you’ll find the whole town turning out at night to enjoy the city’s restaurants and bars along Sherman Ave.
Find a great place to stay in Coeur D’Alene!
Friday Harbor, WA
You don’t need to go far for an island getaway when visiting Friday Harbor, a top weekend trip in the region. This small town in the San Juan Islands is convenient to Northwestern cities, but is nestled deeply enough in the San Juan archipelago to feel remote. Appreciate the stunning scenery on a seaplane tour, catch sight of wildlife aboard a dolphin and whale watching cruise, or check out walking trails and a lighthouse at Lime Kiln Point State Park.
Find a great place to stay in Friday Harbor!
If the mountains are calling, Whitefish is the place to go for your weekend trip. Located at the edge of Glacier National Park, Whitefish is a quaint mountain town backed by the over-the-top beauty of the Northern Rocky Mountains. Use the town as your basecamp for Rocky Mountain adventures, whether it’s a day hike in Flathead National Forest or a canoe ride across Whitefish Lake.
Find a great place to stay in Whitefish!
Boise is topping a lot of travel lists these days, and even a weekend trip to Idaho’s trendiest city gives you enough time to discover why. A walk through the downtown reveals that this city is no longer sleepy—from boozy brunch tours to tacos and tapas happy hours, Boise has developed a fantastic cosmopolitan feel. When you’re not hanging around downtown’s shops, galleries, and historic sites, visit popular parks like Camel’s Back and Barber Park, where you can put in for rafting trip down the Boise River without leaving the city.
Find a great place to stay in Boise!
Halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego, Temecula is one of the best weekend getaways in SoCal—that you may not have considered. Though not as renowned as Napa Valley, the area is known for its wines—a wine tour is an easy way for first-time visitors to discover the best sips around. The city’s other claim to fame is as a hub for hot air balloon rides, and with gorgeous vineyards and California-quality sunrises, there’s plenty to admire.
Find a great place to stay in Temecula!
Sandwiched between Phoenix and Scottsdale, the small city of Tempe holds its own with its shops, restaurants, and galleries in the Mill Avenue District, balanced by plenty of outdoor activities that take advantage of year-round warm temperatures. Although it’s home to the Arizona State University’s main campus, the city offers entertainment for visitors of all ages. Kids particularly love the SEA LIFE Aquarium, which has a surprisingly large collection of fish and other animals for an aquarium in the middle of the desert.
Find a great place to stay in Tempe!
San Marcos, TX
If Austin keeps things weird, San Marcos puts weird off the charts—in a good way. This small Texas town is where hippies mingle with college kids over craft brews and long days out on the river lead to long nights listening to blues at outlet malls. San Marcos vacation rentals match the town’s funky character and run the gamut from riverfront cabins to renovated downtown lofts so you can take a weekend getaway that matches your style.
Find a great place to stay in San Marcos!
San Luis Obispo, CA
Wine, dine, and take your time on a trip to San Luis Obispo, central California’s laid-back response to the Bay Area’s bustle. Food and wine tours are a top industry in SLO, making it one of the best weekend getaways for culinary enthusiasts, while outdoor attractions like Bishop Peak pay homage to California’s adventurous spirit.
Find a great place to stay in San Luis Obispo!
17 small cities for a perfect weekend getaway
No matter how much you love your neighborhood and your daily routine, it’s easy to feel a little stuck after a while. Maybe you’re tired of going to the same pizza joint day in and day out, or walking by the same sights on the way to work. You’re feeling just like a rundown battery and the best way to recharge is by getting the heck out of dodge for a few days.
It’s true. A short little trip out of town can do wonders for you. A change in scenery gives you a burst of energy, while a bite into something new offers you a new lease on life. It doesn’t take much—perhaps an hour’s drive west or a short flight to the coast—and to prove it, we’ve gathered 17 of the best weekend getaway cities and towns that are charming, enticing, and just what you need. They might be on the smaller side and maybe a little quieter than you’re used to, but that’s why they’re perfect for your next jaunt.
1. Big Bear Lake, California
Via Flickr/Ian D. Keating
What to do: For starters, take a deep breath and let that fresh mountain air fill your lungs. Then, set your sights on the beauty that is Big Bear Lake, no matter if it’s flowing or freezing, its majesty is undeniable. If you’re visiting this mountain region in the winter, pack your skis because 31 trails and 240 acres of skiable terrain are waiting for you to shred them up at Snow Summit. After a day on the slopes, explore the shops in Big Bear Lake Village, and cozy up with a warm drink at one of the excellent eateries.
Where to eat: There’s always a wait at Peppercorn Grille—and for good reason. Make reservations at this high-end restaurant, order the rib-eye steak, and you’ll soon see why the wait is so worth it.
What not to miss: You’ll kick yourself if you leave town without bobsledding down the scenic Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain. Shoot down the track and watch as the marvelous landscape whizzes by.
2. Oxford, Mississippi
Via Yelp/Carmen S.
What to do: Oxford has that whole small town charm going for it, but when you really start to explore, you’ll see why they call it the Cultural Mecca of the South. Begin your adventures at the University of Mississippi Museum, which showcases all kinds of art, from historical paintings to modern installations. Then, you don’t have to be a literary buff to appreciate Rowan Oaks. The tour of William Faulkner’s 1844 estate is a fascinating one, even if you’ve never even read “As I Lay Dying.”
Where to eat: City Grocery. The spicy shrimp and grits are what everyone raves about, but the fried grilled okra is a southern staple you can’t forgo.
What not to miss: Square Books in the historical town square. Lose track of time browsing the books and then cozy up with a cup of coffee on the second-floor balcony.
3. New Ulm, Minnesota
Via Flickr/Doug Kerr
What to do: New Ulm certainly celebrates its German roots, and perhaps the best place to get in touch with this heritage is with a stop at Schell’s Brewery, where they’ve been brewing German craft beer since 1860. Take a tour of the brewery and sample some Vienna-style lager, before visiting the Wanda Gág House. Home to the famed children’s author, Wanda Hazel Gág, the two-story1893 residency is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Where to eat: The beer battered cheese curds and chicken strip basket will make you glad you stopped in New Ulm Turner Hall for lunch. After satisfying your cravings, take time to admire the building—Turner Hall dates back to 1856.
What not to miss: Hermann Heights Monument. Climb up the spiral staircase to the base of this National Register of Historic Places and discover the story of the Deutsch victory over the Romans.
4. Claremore, Oklahoma
Via Flickr/danzil raines
What to do: There’s hardly a better way to experience this state’s charm than with a visit to Claremore, where the musical “Oklahoma!” took place. Once you’ve managed to get those show tunes out of your head, make your way over to Belvidere Mansion, a Victorian-style treasure built in 1907. Stick around for a spot of tea in the historical home’s Tea Room and lose yourself in the city’s story. Before leaving town, spend some time in nature at Claremore Lake Park. The area welcomes you to hike the trails, take a boat out on the water, or even cast a line for some spotted bass.
Where to eat: If you’ve never had a jalapeno cream cheese burger, then you haven’t really lived. Try the novelty dish at Main Street Tavern and pair it with a local OK brew.
What not to miss: The Nut House. This log cabin, made of pecan wood, has all the nutty treats you could imagine, from chocolate peanut clusters to creamy white almonds—they make perfect souvenirs!
5. Skaneateles, New York
Via Yelp/Del F.
What to do: Skaneateles is the lakeside retreat you’ve been dreaming of, and a visit to Anyela’s Vineyards is the best way to commence your vacation. Sitting in the hillside above the lake, this vineyard uniquely buries its crops underground to see them through the winter. Learn more about the winery’s ways with a glass of local libations in hand, and then consider adding a trip to Carpenter Falls and the Bahar Nature Preserve to your itinerary. Make the trek to the waterfalls to see the peaceful oasis, but check conditions beforehand as the trail can become treacherous when icy.
Where to eat: Italian cuisine is what’s for dinner when you nosh at local favorite, Rosalie’s Cucina. Order family style—some farfalle con pollo, vitello piccata, and manicotti—for a little taste of everything.
What not to miss: A sweet stop at Skaneateles Bakery, where the homemade treats won’t leave you wanting. Dig into the red velvet whoopie pies and old-fashioned cake donuts, and stock up on some shortbread meltaways for the journey home.
6. Wimberley, Texas
Via Friends of Blue Hole
What to do: If it’s a romantic weekend getaway you had in mind, allow Wimberley to woo. Kickstart your vacation with aromatherapy massages and botanical facials at Blair House Spa to reign in relaxation. Next up, spend some quality time together hiking the trails and birding at Blue Hole Regional Park—see if you can spot a red-shouldered hawk or golden-fronted woodpecker. Later, “wine” down at the Hill Country Wine Shoppe, where you can sample some Texas vinos in the heart of the historical town square.
Where to eat: Weekend retreats call for comfort food, and the Leaning Pear is just the place to get your fill. The chicken and grits, winter squash curry, and wood-fired pizzas are calling your name.
What not to miss: No trip to Texas is complete without plowing into a slice of southern pie. Have at it at Wimberley Pie Company, where the menu is devilishly tempting with options such as coconut custard, chocolate chip pecan, peach crumb, and more.
7. St. Michaels, Maryland
What to do: There’s something so rejuvenating about retreating to a lovely harbor town like St. Michaels. Dabble in its charm with a boat tour of the lighthouses along the Chesapeake Bay, where you’ll see the structures up close and learn about their history. Afterward, discover more about the region’s stories with a stop at the St. Michaels Museum at St. Mary’s Square. Spanning three historical homes, this museum gives you a peek into life in this town during the 1800s.
Where to eat: St. Michaels Crab & Steakhouse, where the seafood is straight from the Eastern Shore. Chow down on some fresh clams, oysters, and mussels to sample the flavor of the Maryland coastline.
What not to miss: Put on your sailing shoes and head to Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum to uncover the region’s relationship with the water. From crab picking to boat building, Chesapeake locals will dish on all their maritime tales.
8. Santa Cruz, California
What to do: One look at Santa Cruz’s pristine coastline, and you’ll understand why it’s one of the best weekend getaways. For some fun in the sun, play at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, where you can charge down the 1924 Giant Dipper wooden roller coaster and devour some chocolate covered bacon. Even if you’re not one for getting sand between your toes, you can certainly enjoy other local attractions like the Tannery Arts Center, which features local artists’ work, including tapestry, photography, theater performances, and more.
Where to eat: You’ll be pressed to find a better view than the one you’ll come across at Crow’s Nest. Get your seafood fix on the shoreline deck and soak up the coastal panorama of the harbor and the lighthouse.
What not to miss: Exploring the seaside at Capitola Village. Slip into the surf shops, make time for a little wine tasting, or simply bask on the shores of the Pacific Ocean.
9. Lancaster, Ohio
Via Yelp/Kelly A.
What to do: If Ohio isn’t on your getaway radar, Lancaster is about to change that. Start your weekend trip at Rising Park on Mount Pleasant and eye guzzle the sweeping views of the city and its scenic outskirts. Better yet, make your way up before twilight to see the landscape under the setting sun. Looking to marvel even more? The Ohio Glass Museum is sure to wow as it shows off the magnificent art of glassmaking. Take in the incredible masterpieces and don’t miss the opportunity to watch glassmakers at work.
Where to eat: Whether you’ve got your eye on the spicy Cheech & Chong burger topped with Sriracha aioli or the creamy Cajun chicken alfredo, Ale House 1890 promises to exceed your expectations.
What not to miss: Immerse yourself in nature’s beauty at Hocking Hills, where you can hike to the waterfall at Old Man’s Cave and venture around Ash Cave, the state’s largest recess cave.
10. Rocheport, Missouri
VIa Yelp/Andrew M.
What to do: Rocheport invites you to get away from the hustle and bustle. For the ultimate introduction to a tranquil weekend, rent a Mighty Mo canoe and paddle down the Missouri River. Glide through the water as your tour guide divulges the region’s history, particularly the journey of Lewis and Clark. After some fresh air and some peaceful exercise, wash it all down with some local wine at Les Bourgeois Vineyards. Indulge in some local grape varietals in the wine garden while overlooking the Missouri River Valley.
Where to eat: Mulberry Grill and Bakery, where the pizzas cook in fewer than 2 minutes. Made in a craft brick oven, the wood-smoked artisan pizza will have you squeezing in another trip here before leaving town.
What not to miss: The Budweiser Clydesdales at Warms Spring Ranch. You’ve seen them on TV and now you can see them in real life at this breeding farm in nearby Boonsville.
11. Ellensburg, Washington
Via Yelp/Jonathan C.
What to do: Make your weekend home in the charming city of Ellensburg. First up, expand your artistic awareness with a stop at the John Ford Clymer Museum and Gallery. The exhibits are dedicated to the work of Ellensburg-born artist, Clymer, who depicted the American West in his oil and charcoal drawings. You’ll also come across Clymer-inspired works and masterpieces by his contemporaries. If all those colorful pictures make you thirsty, make a stop at Gard Vintners tasting room for a full-bodied red or a light and airy white.
Where to eat: You just might find yourself saying a prayer of praise after noshing at The Yellow Church Café. This chapel-turned restaurant serves up bison burgers, skillet mac ’n’ cheese, and a divine Holy Moly chicken sandwich.
What not to miss: You don’t have to rough it in the wild to enjoy this region’s spectacular scenery. Simply buckle up and cruise along Washington State Route 10 for a scenic journey around Washington’s canyons and rivers.
12. Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Via Yelp/Jill M.
What to do: To arrive in the enticing village of Cloudcroft, you’ll have to travel up to one of the highest elevations in the U.S. High in the sky, this destination is home to Ski Cloudcroft, where you’re welcome to carve up the slopes at 9,100 feet. There’s even a 700-foot vertical drop for the brave of heart. Prefer a calmer weekend escape? Saunter around Burro Street Exchange, which is home to an eclectic collection of retailers, selling everything from western jewelry to locally made candles.
Where to eat: Dive into plates piled high with pulled pork, brisket, and ribs at MAD Jack’s Mountaintop Barbeque. With homemade extras like coleslaw and cobbler, this restaurant will have you leaving full and fine.
What not to miss: Don’t head home without chasing waterfalls at Bluff Springs. Pack a picnic or camp under the stars with the soundtrack of rushing water in your ears.
13. Landrum, South Carolina
What to do: When you’ve got a mountain retreat on your mind, Landrum serves up just what you were imagining. After relishing the views of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance, check out Campbell’s Covered Bridge. A little slice of history, the 1909 landmark is the last-standing covered bridge in the entire state. Then for some of those mountain vibes, venture 30 minutes north to nearby Pearson’s Falls and Glen, where you can picnic and hike to the staggering 90-foot waterfall.
Where to eat: The Hare & Hound Pub. From the Guinness beef pie to the fish and chips basket, you’ll feel like you’ve walked into an authentic European pub—that is, as soon as you order a pint of Bass.
What not to miss: The Instagram-worthy landscape of the Carolina Foothills. Hike on foot, hop on horseback, or sip wine at the nearby vineyards, surrounded by the lush mountain range.
14. Destin, Florida
What to do: You booked a Destin weekend getaway, but you might find yourself extending your trip a little longer once you get a glimpse at the World’s Luckiest Fishing Village. If you’re visiting during the spring or summer, make a splash down at Big Kahunas Water and Adventure Park, where the lazy river and pipeline slides will keep you cool under the Florida sunshine. Meanwhile, for something a little lower key, practice your swing down at Emerald Bay Golf Club while overlooking the pristine shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay.
Where to eat: Vacationing on the coast calls for dining on some locally caught seafood. At Brotula’s Seafood House & Steamer, build your own boil with the freshest mussels, oysters, and crab around.
What not to miss: We don’t need to say much when white sand and crystal blue waves are involved—Henderson Beach State Park speaks for itself. Take a scenic stroll on the boardwalks along the dunes or dip your toes in the frothy water of the Gulf.
15. Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
What to do: Who says your weekend sojourn has to be relaxing? If you’re looking for a thrill, come face to face with 14-foot gators on a swamp tour in Breaux Bridge. Champagne’s Cajun Tours cruise through Lake Martin Cypress Island Preserve, where you’ll learn all about the local ecosystem while floating under the cypress trees. If walking is more your adventure speed, stroll around the Bayou Teche Visitors Center, and head down to the wharf and look for the crawfish painting on top of the steel bridge.
Where to eat: Glenda’s Creole Kitchen for the gumbo, sweet dough pies, and catfish coubillion. The first creole restaurant in Breaux Bridge, this eatery will have you craving dishes you’ve never even heard of before today.
What not to miss: An evening at La Poussiere Cajun Dancehall. Here you’ll be dazzled by the authentic Cajun culture, from the rhythmic beats to the dance moves. Swing by on Saturday night or Sunday afternoon—and don’t forget your dancing shoes.
16. Bisbee, Arizona
What to do: A jaunt in Arizona has always been on your list, so make it official with a trip to the city of Bisbee. Tucked within the Mule Mountains, this rugged town has a ton of history running through its veins. Peek into its old western roots via the local historical tours, such as the Main Street walk, which showcases the city’s prominent architecture. With a history lesson or two under your belt, you deserve some suds in the Tap Room at the Old Bisbee Brewing Company. Sample some Copper City Ale or the Sonoran Mountain Lime Lager, but whatever you do, don’t leave without a taste of the alcohol-free, Real Root Beer.
Where to eat: Go to Pussycat Gelato, where you can mix and match all your favorite flavors. With so many choices like chocolate raspberry, Mexican coffee, and maple brown butter pecan, it sounds like your cup will be stacked high.
What not to miss: The weird and wonderful exhibits at the Bisbee Museum of the Bizarre. Build up the courage to view the shrunken head named Fred and try not to get the creeps when you view the mold of Bigfoot’s own foot!
17. Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
What to do: Whether you visit Lake Geneva when it’s warm enough to jump right into the water or cold enough to glide across the frozen surface, this is one getaway you won’t forget. For a solid introduction to this town and its past, take a tour of Black Point Estate & Gardens and uncover how the wealthy elite once vacationed at the lakeside in the 1800s. Then, get outdoors and saddle up at Dan Patch Stables to trot around the Grand Geneva property. If the conditions are right, you can even join a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the snow.
Where to eat: Oakfire for the divine pizza Napoletana, calzones, paninis, and more. Don’t let all the delicious choices stress you out though—anything you pick promises to deliver.
What not to miss: The spectacular live performance at the Tristan Crist Magic Theatre. Forget pulling rabbits out of hats, this innovative show with unbelievable tricks will blow you away.
What are your top places to go for a weekend getaway?
Why You Need To Follow The Weekend Getaway Trend
The weekend getaway is nothing new, but thanks to our ever-increasing thirst for endless travel and exploration, it is one of the top 2019 travel trends.
Regardless of whether you’re juggling a 9 to 5 job with travel or traveling full-time, the weekend getaway suits everyone’s schedule.
For those of you working a full time job weekend getaways are the perfect opportunity to get out of town and explore somewhere new without dipping into your paid vacation days.
For you full-time travelers, a weekend getaway give you a chance to explore different areas of the country or countries you are visiting! Think of it as a mini vacay away from your never ending vacay!
If you’re working while traveling, a weekend getaway gives you the perfect excuse to actually take a break. Go on, you deserve it!
You probably don’t need any more reasons to book your next weekend getaway. But, we’re going to breakdown all the reasons why the weekend getaway is the travel trend you need to follow, and often.
So let’s get to it!
A Weekend Getaway Works Wonders For Your Mental And Emotional Health
Yup, turns out getting away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, no matter what your daily life entails, is really good for you.
Weekend getaways often entail escaping a busy town or city and heading out to the countryside, beach or mountains. Have you ever noticed that when you go away to the country/beach/mountains you feel more peaceful and happy than you do when you’re in the city?
This is because air outside of cities (aka country air aka actual oxygen) is generally cleaner and fresher than city air. This is generally because there is more plant life and woodlands to absorb carbon dioxide.
Breathing in clean, fresh air has a positive impact on your mental and emotional health. In fact, studies looking at differences in health between those living the city vs those who are not, have found that people who are suffering from stress or are unwell experience a faster recovery in fresh and open air spaces.
It Boosts Your Productivity
Breathing in fresh air and positively affecting your mental health is one reason for this. But there are other reasons why a weekend getaway boosts your productivity,
For starters, you shut off from your regular life for a couple of days. This gives you an opportunity to properly rest and recharge. Which improves your focus and productivity when you return to whatever it is you do during the week.
You may also be more likely to go for nice long walks to do some sightseeing on your short trip away. It may not be strenuous exercise, but it’ll get your body moving and your blood flowing, which helps release endorphins.
In the words of critically acclaimed lawyer Elle Woods: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” Being happy (and well rested) leads to a more productive you, obvs.
You Can Explore More Places
Imagine going away for at least one weekend every month. That’s 12 new places to explore – and possibly 12 more than you might have explored otherwise.
While you might not be able to do everything at a destination in one weekend, you at least get a bit of a taster of what’s to come if you choose to return to that destination for a longer trip.
Weekend Getaways Can Mean Fun Roadtrips With Your Friends
Who doesn’t love a good roadtrip?! Good company, blasting your favourite tunes and driving down an endless country road without a care in the world.
Taking a short roadtrip with friends is always a good idea. These can easily be done on a regular two day weekend. Or you could really stretch out your adventures and hit the road during a long weekend.
Just be mindful of how far you travel. You want some time to chill at your destination before driving back home.
A Weekend Getaway Costs Way Less Money Than A Week Long Vacation
Ok so this probably doesn’t need an explanation, but we’ll give it to you anyway.
Short breaks are cheaper than longer holidays because you’re paying for less nights accommodation, and less meals out.
A weekend away also means you probably won’t travel as far, making flights cheaper. Of course if you make it a roadtrip you won’t need to pay for flights at all.
You’ll Maximise Your Time Away
Because it’s a short break, you’re more likely to be efficient with your time on your weekend getaway.
This is particularly the case if you want your weekend away to be full of activities. Packing in as many activities as you can, and sticking to a schedule, will make your weekend feel a lot longer than a few days (in a good way of course).
If you’re wanting to spend the weekend doing nothing but relaxing, well, you’ll probably maximize your relaxation time as much as possible before it’s time to get back to reality.
You’ll Only Need A Carryon
This is a big bonus, especially if you are traveling by plane.
Isn’t it just the worst when you step off your flight and then have to wait for what feels like forever for your luggage in the arrivals hall?!
With just a carryon, you can step right off the plane and get straight into vacay mode.
Packing a carryon is also super easy, and, you can fit way more than you think you can in there. Perfect for if you want multiple photos and outfits for the ‘Gram.
Organising A Pet Sitter Is Much Easier
Whether you go through a pet sitting website or rely on family and friends it’s usually much easier to find a pet sitter for only a weekend away compared to if you’re away for a week or two.
Of course, you could also travel with your pet. Basically, whatever works best for you.
A Weekend Getaway Is A Great Way To Meet New People
Whether you’re traveling solo, with a significant other or a group of friends, you’re bound to meet fellow weekend travelers during your time away.
This a great opportunity to make new friends. And, it could also be an opportunity to add to your weekend getaway crew (no matter what size it is).
Planning A Weekend Getaway Is A Great Mood Booster
Well, this is kind of obvious right? Planning a trip is pretty exciting business! Planning multiple short trips is sure to keep your happiness levels high all year round!
This is a win, even if you don’t like the process/planning side of trips. Why? Because a weekend getaway is relatively easy to plan. It’s only 2 to 4 days, depending on if it’s a regular weekend or a long weekend. Plus, you can do as little or as much as you want to do during that time.
It’s your weekend vacay, we’re just living it vicariously though your Insta feed!
What are your thoughts on a weekend getaway, and what are some of your favorite places to explore on short trips away? Tell us all your thoughts in the comments below!
Feeling like you need to getaway from it all?
Is your life currently on auto-pilot with no time for yourself and one busy week blends into another? When was the last time you did something for you?
A short getaway to recharge your batteries might be just what you need. A change of scenery can do wonders and getting out of town is easier than you think.
We’ve been embracing weekend getaways over the past 6 months, and it’s been so nice to drive for only one or two hours, pack light, and have a beginning and an end to our trip in contrast to our recent never ending 18-month road trip around Australia.
If you have limited money or time, a quick getaway is a fantastic option.
Escaping nearby for a few days or taking a short flight to somewhere warm and exotic has many benefits.
You don’t have to take time off work, or quit your job and go on a 12-month around-the-world trip to bring more travel and adventure into your life. A simple two-day trip close to home can do wonders for you mentally and physically.
I know what it’s like to get to the end of a working week feeling exhausted. In my past life, I worked a physical 50 hour week in a construction job, and Caz worked full-time as a school teacher which drained her mentally. When the weekend came around it was tempting to just want to sit on the couch, have a glass of wine and a foot rub.
But before you know it, Monday arrives and your weekend hasn’t really brought any meaning to your life.
Taking short breaks away from your hometown can help you to reclaim your life back, to bring more meaning to your work week, and make your time off fun again.
You’ll feel refreshed, and when you know you’ve got something exciting to look forward to on the weekend, it helps you get through the week.
Instead of spending every weekend at home dreading Monday morning, why not chose to go someplace new for a change of scenery, to recharge and refocus!
You’ll be accumulating memories, not just possessions, and memories are priceless!
Pick one activity
One tip we’ve found when going on a short break is to focus on one thing you need and make your getaway all about that.
Do you want to just go and relax on a beach? Do you want to get away and eat great food all weekend? Or maybe you want to go shopping for a few days?
Or, maybe it’s winter in your destination and you want to jump on a plane and head to someplace warm?
Travel in your own backyard
If you’re new to this travel thing, just go an hour away from your home. Somewhere it’s easy to plan for, easy to get to, and you don’t have to pack much. Just try that out and have lots of fun.
Then next time you can stretch your comfort zone and go someplace further away for a long weekend.
Don’t underestimate the benefits of staying local and traveling in your own backyard – your wallet will thank you! This strategy is one of the most overlooked and cheapest ways of having more travel in your life.
Benefits of a local getaway:
- Less planning
- Less packing
- Les travel time
- No jet lag
- Usually cheaper
Keep it simple
A big mistake travelers make is trying to cram too much in. Trying to do everything on a quick getaway just leaves you exhausted, especially if you travel with kids like us.
But if you spend your time unwinding and being present, you’ll appreciate the effort you took to get off the comfy couch and go!
- Beach break
- Hiking in the mountains
- City escape
- Road trip in the countryside
- Out of town festival
- Shopping trip
- Sit by the pool at a resort
And if you’re a nature lover like us, consider a trip to a National Park.
Still worried about money?
Instead of choosing a destination and trying to find a flight deal, considering flying to where the flight deals already are!
Don’t just fly anywhere for the sake of it, but see where the deals are and then choose a destination you’ll enjoy.
So when you really think about it, a weekend getaway is easier than you think. You just have to make it a priority, and not let life push you around.
Consider all the different places you can travel to within a four hour drive, or a two hour flight, and do this every couple of months.
These getaways will be great for your soul and easy on your bank balance.
Have you got a weekend getaway planned soon?
Best Weekend Getaways
Weekend Vacation Ideas & Vacation Spots near Me
Weekend getaways are the best way to rejuvenate if you don’t have many vacation days left in a year. Awesome weekend getaway ideas include travel to a nearby romantic inn, a full service resort, or long weekend getaways to a beach in Florida, Hawaii or the Caribbean. Couples celebrating an anniversary, birthday or a vow renewal have many romantic options, from quick trips in New England, Florida and Arizona to ultra relaxing spa vacations and all inclusive weekend getaways. We have a whole section dedicated to romantic weekend getaways, so it’s a good idea to start your research there. Weekend getaways with kids can include a trip to a new city, beach destination in Florida, the East Coast, California and other beautiful spots.
More ideas: Weekend getaways on the East Coast.
Best weekend getaways: Practical Travel Tips and Money Saving Ideas
If you live in a major city like New York, look for romantic resorts, hotels, inns and other quick getaways that are a short drive away, so that you can save time and money getting to your destination. It’s always fun to plan your long weekend getaway around a major holiday like Labor Day in September, Memorial Day in May or Presidents Day in the winter, but be sure to book your activities ahead of time. Every season offers something unique to look forward to: relaxing on the beach in the summer and gourmet dining in the winter. Quick weekend getaways for friends include spa parties, fun weekend getaways for couples, 3 day weekend trips, one day vacation ideas & day trips, amazing tours and group activities.
Photo: Boca Raton Resort
- Fun weekend getaways – Book Now of Wait? Many travelers ask: Should I plan ahead of time or wait until the last minute to book my weekend getaway? The answer is: it depends. If you want to get away to a popular destination during the holidays or a special time of year like the fall foliage, you should book several weeks in advance or you may not get a room. But during most other times of the year waiting until the last minute is ok, and can in fact get you a great deal. Once resorts realize that a large percentage of their rooms will be empty, they will discount them. Whether you are looking for romantic weekend getaways on the East Coast or family travel on the West Coast, there is plenty to choose from. You can find cheap weekend getaway ideas, quick luxury trips and more. Weekend getaways on the East Coast: from Boston, from NYC and more.
- Weekend Getaway Deals: There are two major opportunities to save on your weekend trip: find a cheap flight and a hotel weekend deal. If you decide to visit a major city where the flow of business travelers all but stops on weekends, both should be quite easy. Check airline sites for last minute specials and long weekend trip ideas to your favorite destination. City hotel rates drop on weekends, unless there is a major festival or event taking place like a graduation at a major university or a holiday like St. Patrick’s Day which attracts a large number of visitors. If you are looking for a weekend getaway under $500 or under $1,000, driving to your destination may be the way to save money.
- Look for Last Minute Specials: Weekend getaways offers a great opportunity to look for last minute specials, especially during the non-holiday weekends. Peak season varies depending on the destination, but you should always ask about specials. It’s best to stay flexible and shop around to find the best deals. You may find, for example, that a weekend on the beach in Florida, including airfare, will cost you less than a drive to a Vermont inn in late September or early October because of the fall foliage season in Vermont. A great place to look for deals and cheap weekend getaways for couples year-round is Scottsdale which offers sunny weather, resorts with outdoor pools, scenic golf courses and spas.
- Quick Getaways – What is the Best Way to Book? When planning a short trip to a nearby inn, first check their web site for current specials and packages. If you find a lower nightly rate on a popular price comparison site, call the hotel and ask them to match the price. Usually they will be happy to oblige because if you book directly with them, they do not have to pay a commission for the booking. While talking to the reservations agent, you can ask which room is the quietest, has the best view or more space. You can also request an early check-in or late check-out, find out about spa services and other activities.
- Fun weekend getaways – Which Room or Luxury Suite Do I Book? Inns and hotels usually post pictures of the types of rooms and suites that the property has available. Smaller getaways frequently offer individually decorated rooms with fireplaces, romantic four-poster beds, Jacuzzi tubs for two and other unique features. It’s worth the extra time to look up what is available before you call them to book so that you can get exactly what you want for your weekend trip. Find short weekend getaways from LA, SF and Seattle.
- Find Out About the Cancellation Policy: If you are used to staying in big city hotels with a 48-hour cancellation policy, you may not realize that many smaller inns require you to cancel a few weeks or even a month in advance. It’s good to keep that in mind when planning quick getaway vacations. It’s more difficult for them to fill their accommodations, so they make it harder to cancel without giving up a deposit. Booking a last minute trip usually solves the problem of something coming before you can take off for your vacation. Travel insurance may make sense as well if the weekend trip is not cheap.
- Quick Getaways – Book Your Activities Early: During busy holiday weekends, many vacationers end up not getting the spa treatment, tour or tee time they were hoping for. This can be avoided by booking your favorite activities ahead of time. Be sure to ask about the cancellation policy in case you can’t make it.
If you can find a special on a plush resort room, you will have some money left over for massages, golf, tennis, wine tasting, hot air balloon rides, adventure tours and more. Look up events taking place this weekend at nearby towns and you can attend a fun outdoor concert or a theater performance, especially in the summer.
Weekend Destinations & Vacation Spots near me
Photo: PGA National Resort
The best weekend vacation destinations are those that are easy to get to, allowing you to pack a bag and jump in the car or on a short flight that’s close to your chosen resort. From East Coast cities, head to Vermont, Maine and Upstate New York where you’ll find charming inns, full-service spa resorts and historic attractions. If you want to get to a beach, there are many resorts around Miami, Florida that are easy to get to and offer sandy beaches and relaxing spas.
From West Coast cities, head to Napa and Sonoma for gourmet food and wine and Southern California for scenic beach resorts. The Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay in Northern California has scenic golf and rooms with a view. Some consider Hawaii just a short hop from San Francisco or LA, but it depends on your perspective. If a 6-hour flight does not seem too long, spend a long weekend exploring the sandy beaches of Oahu, Maui or the Big Islands – non-stop flights are available to all three islands from West Coast cities. Don’t discount cities like Seattle or Sacramento when choosing your weekend destination. Cities offer a variety of things to do, unique spas, restaurants, shows and nightlife.
- Quick Getaways – New York Weekend: There are many fun things to see and do on a weekend trip to New York, from Broadway shows, museums and art galleries for creative shoppers, to famous landmarks and restaurants. Families with kids can explore Central Park with its playgrounds, scenic spots, ponds and even a Marionette Theater. Visit in the summer and you can get tickets to Shakespeare performances and outdoor music concerts. If you need ideas for girls weekend, look for specials at luxury hotels with great spas, relax with a massage and do some shopping on Madison and Park Avenues.
- Las Vegas Weekend: Las Vegas is such a popular weekend vacation destination that major U.S. airlines offer all inclusive packages with airfare, room and shows included throughout the year. If you are looking for birthday getaways for couples or cheap weekend trip ideas, Las Vegas could be just the place. There are so many things to see and do in Las Vegas that you would need more than just a long weekend there to explore it all. The choice of weekend activities is nearly endless, from awesome pools, spas, casinos, free outdoor attractions, spectacular shows and affordable buffets where you can taste cuisine from around the world. Planning an anniversary celebration, birthday or a wedding in Vegas if you want to elope, is quite easy as well. Las Vegas is a destination for romance where couples can luxuriate in lavish honeymoon suites with a view. Find great things to do on your weekend getaway to Las Vegas.
For weekend ideas near you, visit our destinations page. Our weekend packages section highlights some of the best weekend getaway packages and deals handpicked by our editors.
Quick weekend getaways – Weekend Vacation Ideas by Interest
Whether you are looking for a family weekend getaway, couples’ trip, girlfriends, guys, luxury or cheap weekends, there are ideas for everyone.
- Weekend Getaways for Couples: Browse the weekend getaways section of our site for the full list of ideas. There are many unique romantic inns to choose from for couples, and full service resorts for families. Windham Hill Inn in Vermont offers outdoor activities year-round. The White Barn Inn in Maine has a delicious gourmet restaurant. Plan a summer weekend at the Equinox where you can learn to fly fish, play golf and take off-road driving classes. On the West Coast, Terranea Resort in California has spectacular ocean views. Tu Tu’ Tun Lodge in Oregon is a great romantic lodge with river views. Get away to The Inn at Langley from Seattle and enjoy spectacular ocean views. During the summer, explore the beach and wilderness around the Wickaninnish Inn. If you are wondering “what are some great weekend getaways near me” be sure to explore our guides from major cities from the top navigation bar. From romantic weekend ideas, family weekend vacation options, local vacation ideas, inexpensive weekend getaway ideas, fun long and short day trips, there is something for everyone.
- Family Getaways: Families tend to like pools, beaches and a choice of activities that allow children to learn something new and parents to relax with a game of golf of a massage. Regardless of where you live, there is probably a full service resort that’s an easy drive from your town. There are many 2 day trip ideas as well as longer getaways in any part of the United States. From New York, visit The Sagamore Hotel, set on a lake. From Los Angeles, plan a family adventure to El Capitan Canyon. Kids’ programs are often seasonal, available during the summer and major holidays. Some resorts offer activities to children year-round. If you are planning to have your child participate in one of the kids’ programs, remember to double check availability and requirements. Younger children usually have to be accompanied by an adult, while older kids can participate in the activities on their own.
- Luxury Weekend Breaks: If you are looking for a luxury trip, you have many options within a short flight or drive away. From East Coast cities like NYC and Boston, you can easily get to a sandy beach in the Bahamas or Barbados and spend your weekend relaxing surrounded by the Caribbean Sea. From West Coast cities like San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles, getting on a plane will take you to a plush resort in Mexico or the Caribbean. There are many luxury options nearby as well, including scenic resorts on the coast of California, health spas, golf getaways and mountain resorts which offer skiing in the winter and many outdoor activities in the summer.
- Girls Weekend Ideas – long weekend getaways: What do girls like to do on their weekend getaway? Spa parties, shopping, group adventures and plenty of relaxation by the pool or on the beach will please nearly every gal. Hotels often offer special girls weekend packages designed to attract two or more girlfriends who want to get away together to relax in a natural setting, or surrounded by the buzz of a big city like New York, London or Paris. Some of the best best birthday trips can be close to your home and can be quite affordable.
- Quick weekend getaways – Golf Weekends: Golf weekend packages are usually designed for guys who want to go out and party while challenging each other with a few rounds of golf. During the summer, check at one of the resorts near where you live if they offer guys’ packages. Often they will include free rounds, massages and resort credit which you can spend on drinks and food. During the winter months you may have to travel a bit further, such as Florida, Mexico or Southern California to find a golf course that’s open. Airfare will be the biggest expense, so comparison shop to find the best deal.
- Cheap Weekend Getaways: The best way to find a cheap weekend getaway is to get away during the shoulder season – September, first week of November, in January just after New Year’s, April and early May. You can find vacations under 1000 or even under 500. Avoid peak travel time such as major holidays because both airfare and hotel rooms won’t be cheap then. To keep the cost down, consider camping in a national park or rent a self-serve cabin. Not only are they affordable, but you will also have the option to cook your own meals which will keep the costs down. If you want to do something relaxing like enjoy the facilities of a plush resort spa, in many cases you can buy a day pass to the spa while staying at an affordable Bed and Breakfast nearby, rather than paying for the expensive resort room. Find more results for “places to vacation near me.”
- Weekend Activities – long weekend getaways: Depending on where you live in the U.S., you will have access to different weekend activities, some pricey and some quite affordable, or even free. For those who like to stay active on vacation, there is hiking, mountain biking, golf and fishing in the summer, and skiing, snowboarding, sledding and cross-country skiing in the winter. A great way to see several destinations in a short span of time is a weekend cruise and there are many options: from 3 day Caribbean cruises to 2 day river sailings. Check the departures from your city and look for shoulder season specials. In addition to cruises, short getaways for couples include day trips to a nearby park, historical attraction or an overnight stay in a country inn. For more last minute getaways this weekend, visit our USA destination page which features many great things to do.
Photo: Pink Sands Resort
Weekend Holidays – Long Weekend Getaways
The holidays are the most popular time that people take a quick trip that’s 2 to 5 hours from their home. That’s the reason that getting away during the weekend holidays requires a bit more research and planning so that you can secure the best room rate and airfare, book all the right activities ahead of time, and confirm that everything will be the way you expect once you get to your destinations.
- New Year’s Day in January: The first day of the year should be spent next to a cozy fireplace in New England or on a tropical beach. If you have time for a long weekend getaway, fly to the Caribbean and go snorkeling in the tropical waters. If you have to be back at work soon, drive to a nearby resort or inn for skiing, snowshoeing and romantic sleigh rides.
- Valentine’s Day in February: Whether you’ve been waiting for the perfect occasion to propose or want to surprise your better half with a unique weekend trip, Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to book a romantic suite, four-course dinner and celebrate with a bottle of fine wine.
- Easter in April: Easter weekends are often about family reunions and delicious brunches. If you decide to fly to Florida, Southern California or Mexico, book your airplane seats early. With small children, you may be better off driving to a nearby resort which has an indoor pool, water park and kid-friendly restaurants. Join an Easter egg hunt or organize your own. Many Easter Sunday brunch events at hotels in the United States and Europe feature a visit from the Easter Bunny and other fun events for children.
- Mother’s Day: Say “thank you” to mom by taking her to a health spa, visit art galleries and go shopping. She may enjoy a day trip a short drive from her house or a two-day getaway at a resort. You will find great deals in Florida, Mexico and in the Caribbean if you have time for a long weekend getaway.
- Memorial Day: Many travelers tell us that Memorial Day is their favorite weekend because it’s right at the start of the summer. Plan a family trip to the beach, find a romantic coastal hotel, or simply bring out the BBQ and have fun in your back yard with friends and family.
- Father’s Day in June – Great Getaways: Take some time off work to play a round of golf with your dad, go hiking in a nearby state park or treat him to a delicious brunch. Many hotels in the U.S. offer Father’s Day weekend packages which include activities, dining credit and other perks.
- Fourth of July (Independence Day): Summer is in full bloom, complete with barbeque dinners by the pool, sunny beach days and delicious farm-fresh food. There are many more affordable weekend options to choose from on the 4th of July than at any other time during the year. Book a family-friendly state lodge or pitch a tent in a national park where you can watch wildlife and go on scenic hikes. Major cities offer a diverse selection of outdoor concerts, theater and movies under the stars.
- Labor Day in September: Celebrate the end of the summer in style with a beach party, cocktails by the pool or a garden dinner with friends. Head to one of the popular East Coast or West Coast beach towns where you can go antiquing, browse art galleries and relax at cafes.
- Columbus Day in October: Columbus Day weekend is the time for apple-picking and autumn harvest. It’s when the leaves turn from green to yellow, red and brown, putting on a spectacular fall foliage show of colors. Check into a romantic inn, go mountain biking, fishing or river rafting. Take a yoga class to find your inner Zen and prepare for the winter ahead. More ideas: last minute and cheap weekend getaway packages.
- Great Getaways – Halloween on October 31: Especially fun for children who like to dress in colorful costumes and trick-or-treat, Halloween is the time to visit haunted houses, tell spooky stories and eat plenty of pumpkin soup.
- Thanksgiving in November: Take a few days off work and plan a long weekend getaway this Thanksgiving. Take a trip to Miami Beach, Palm Beach, the Florida Keys, Hawaii or some other warm-weather destination. Hotels and resorts in the U.S. and abroad prepare elaborate Thanksgiving buffets and fun activities for kids.
- Christmas and New Year’s Eve in December: Plan a family weekend getaway to a nearby resort, or fly to a sunny destination such as Maui, St Thomas or the Bahamas where you can spend your long weekend splashing around in the ocean. If you didn’t make plans months in advance, look for last minute weekend flights and hotel offers.
- How do I find romantic getaways near me?: Sometimes the best vacations end up being simple, inexpensive trips to a local inn or a cozy B&B where friendly innkeepers share their knowledge of the local town while you get to relax in a comfortable home-away-from home setting. Use the search box at the top of the page to type in your state and browse some of the top inns your area.
- Can you recommend some easy 3 day getaways?: 3 or 4 days may sound like a lot but if you spend half of the time on travel, the time goes by quickly. Some of the best long weekend destinations are just a short car, train or bus ride away. Thinking simple can save you a lot of stress and let you find what you are looking for: a relaxing weekend at a spa resort, friendly inn or a kid-friendly hotel nearby.
- How so I find inexpensive weekend getaways?: Plan your trip ahead of time during a busy travel season and be flexible with your dates so that you can shop around for deals, cheap romantic weekend getaways, seasonal specials and vacation packages. Browse weekend getaway packages in various destinations.
Weekend getaways in the Midwest: Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, from Chicago, from Minneapolis and Missouri
Spa Weekend Getaways
During a spa getaway, you can look forward to massages, body wraps, facials and therapies such as yoga, Tai Chi, meditation and more. Couples should look for spas that offer couples treatment rooms and services. You can enjoy a side-by-side massage, or book one of the packages that lets one partner play golf while the other visits the spa. If you are planning to reserve a suite, check if the terrace is large enough to accommodate massage tables. That way you can get a massage with a view in your own suite. Here are 10 quick weekend trip ideas:
- Winvian is a romantic retreat in Connecticut where couples are accommodated in unique cottages designed by 15 architects. Request a couples massage in the privacy of your own spacious cottage living room. At Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires, patrons get to choose from over 40 daily fitness classes to complement their five star relaxation.
- The wellness center at Milliken Creek Inn is open only to guests of the inn, offering privacy and seclusion. The nearby Harvest Inn has a Garden Sanctuary and two swimming pools.
- The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Resort in Arizona has beautifully landscaped gardens, an outdoor pool and a varied menu of services. The Boulders Resort in Arizona is home to the famous Golden Door Spa with a labyrinth, fitness center, movement and yoga studios, and a cafe serving healthy cuisine. The Royal Palms Resort offers a fitness center, hiking, mountain biking, ad nearby championship golf courses.
- Soak up the sun in the Bahamas at One& Only Ocean Club. The resort has eight ultra-luxurious treatment villas with a garden, daybed and a jetted bath. In South Beach, Florida, guests can combine elegant dining and shopping with luxury relaxation during their weekend getaway. The Setai has beautiful treatment suites with a private bath, steam room, and ocean or pool views. The Betsy has a new rooftop solarium with ocean views.
- Highlands Inn in Carmel, California has a heated outdoor pool, in-room treatment services and ocean views. Local activities include horseback riding, scuba diving and wine tours. Highlands Inn Carmel Hyatt has a restaurant with scenic ocean views which serves a selection of Monterey Bay seafood and fresh local produce. More fun vacation ideas in Carmel.
- The real question is how can’t you find a great discount, because there are so many ways to find superb savings when sailing with this popular cruise line so you can enjoy your Carnival cruise ship getaway without breaking the bank.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park tickets are the necessary key to a fabulous amusement park getaway in this roller coaster haven, but guests should be aware of the different types of tickets and what they do and do not include.
- Reasonable expectations about a cruise ship’s liability, safe behavior on board to avoid dangerous situations, and a flexible attitude can help passengers enjoy their getaway without needing to consider litigation when they disembark.
- Because a cruise price includes many basic travel necessities, passengers can enjoy their travels for one price rather than arranging for more expensive airfare, different hotels, and different tours throughout their European getaway.
- Once on board, each cruise line varies in terms of what additional charges may apply during the vacation, but guests still typically pay for some of the more luxurious amenities and shore excursions during their seafaring getaway.