- Selena Gomez Biography
- Selena and Julia Michaels surprise single, “Anxiety” has some personal lyrics related to the title
- Selena Gomez Video Biography (Bill Murray)
- Selena Gomez and best friend Julia Michaels get matching tattoos
- Who are the Parents and Siblings of Selena Gomez?
- How tall is Selena Gomez? (Body Stats)
- How Selena Gomez began her career?
- Is Selena Gomez dating Justin Bieber?
- How much is Selena Gomez’s Net Worth?
- Biography / Wiki
- Height / Weight / Age
- Net Worth
- Education/ Family
- Selena Gomez
- Career / Fashion And Style
- Boyfriend, Affairs, Husband and More
- Favourite Things
- Some Interesting Facts About Selena Gomez
- Total Savage Sends Heartbreaking Sext To Another Guy’s Girlfriend Mid-Sex
- Selena Gomez Trashes Snapchat Over Filters: ‘Brown Eyes Are Beautiful’
- Selena Gomez pointed out a flaw in Snapchat’s popular filters, and she has a pretty good point
Selena Gomez Biography
Selena Marie Gomez from the USA is an American singer, songwriter, actress, as well as a television producer. She firstly gave audition for the children’s series Barney & Friends and made her role. After that, she was widely recognized for her portrayal of Alex Russo on the Emmy Award-winning Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Place, which aired from 2007 until 2012. She has also made her role in movies. Some of her movies are Another Cinderella Story (2008), Princess Protection Program (2009), Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie (2009), Ramona and Beezus (2010), and Monte Carlo (2011). Thereafter, she focused on more mature roles in Spring Breakers (2012), Getaway (2013), The Fundamentals of Caring (2016), and The Dead Don’t Die (2019). Moreover, she also serves as an executive producer of the Netflix television drama series 13 Reasons Why (2017-present) and the Netflix documentary series Living Undocumented (2019).
Selena Gomez featuring Julia Michaels single, “Anxiety” is out now. It all came as a surprise when Selena Gomez returned with a surprise single. The song released is the single from Julia Michael’s new album, an EP titled Inner Monologues Part 1. Julia Michaels has already worked on Selena Gomez’s music in the past.
The single focus on the state one goes through during anxiety and its effect on relationships. Selena herself sought treatment for anxiety and depression last year.
She shared her feelings via Instagram, where she wrote, “My sweet soul sister. Julia, you have been a huge part of my life. You have taught me how to have courage when I have self-doubt. This song is extremely close to my heart as I’ve experienced anxiety and know a lot of my friends do too. You’re never alone if you feel this way. The message is much needed and I really hope you guys like it!”.
Selena Gomez once again admitted to mental health facility following an emotional breakdown due to depression and anxiety. The reason for her reported meltdown was low white blood cell count, a side effect of a kidney transplant, which Selena had in 2017. She was reportedly hospitalized twice within the last few weeks for a low white blood cell count. She is reportedly getting all the help she needed and her health is progressing slowly.
Selena has been giving more effort to remain focused and not let her health affect her mentally. To overcome it, she has been actively writing new music, and even moved to Orange County for a change of pace and a fresh breath of air, according to other sources. However, the change in her life, her health issues, and love life have once again resulted in an emotional breakdown.
The 26-year old singer has been through a rough couple of years. A couple of years back, Selena was diagnosed with Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), simply known as lupus. It is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue in many parts of the body. Selena even spent 90 days in a mental facility to learn to cope with the issues related to her lupus. Later in 2017, Selena underwent a kidney transplant in 2017. Her actress friend Francia Raisa donated her a kidney. During the transplant, Selena broke an artery. Emergency surgery was conducted to build a new artery using a vein from her leg. Since then, Selena is trying hard to keep herself focused on her work.
She also announced this September that she is taking an official social media break and take some time to recover from mental health issues.
Selena Gomez Video Biography (Bill Murray)
Who is Selena Gomez Getting Married With?
Selena Gomez and best friend Julia Michaels get matching tattoos
Selena Gomez and longtime best friend Julia Michaels just got matching tattoos. The two singers inked matching arrows on their hands, and when they hold hands, the arrows point to one another. “It’s tatted… my arrow points to you forever,” Gomez wrote on her Instagram story alongside a shot of the two looking down at their new art. “Always to you baby,” Michaels wrote on her own Instagram story. “Love you @selenagomez.” Gomez and Michaels were celebrating their Monday night performance at the Fonda Theater in Los Angeles, as well as Michaels’ birthday. She turns 26 on Wednesday.
Who are the Parents and Siblings of Selena Gomez?
Selena Gomez was welcomed by her father Ricardo Joel Gomez and her mother Amanda Dawn on 22nd July 1992 in Grand Prairie, Texas, the United States as Selena Marie Gomez. As of 2019, she celebrated her 27th birthday. She is American by nationality and her ethnicity is Hispanic. She is Christian by religion. She also has three siblings named Gracie Elliot Teefey (Half-Sister), Scarlett Teefey (Half-Sister) (Deceased Sister), Tori Gomez (Half-Sister). Her mother was just 16 years old when she was born. Due to which, she suffered from financial troubles in her childhood. Discussing her education, she attended Danny Jones Middle School, Texas, in the USA. She then homeschools because she was bullied in school. She received her high school diploma through homeschooling.
How tall is Selena Gomez? (Body Stats)
Selena Gomez is a beautiful and charming lady attracting a lot of people towards her. She has got a very pretty face and smiles with the glow. Her sexy body measures 36-28-35 inches. She has got an average height of 5 ft 5 in with a balanced body weight of 50 Kg. Her body build is slim. She maintains her body a lot and she is very curious about food intakes. Her eye color is dark brown whereas her hair color is also dark brown. Her dress size is 8 (US) and her shoe size is 7 (US). Overall, Selena Gomez has got a healthy body with a white skin tone.
How Selena Gomez began her career?
- Selena began her career By giving audition for many roles, Selena Gomez steps towards her career.
- During an audition for Barney & Friends, she met Demi Lovato.
- After that, both were selected to appear on the series in the year 2002.
- She then appeared in thirteen episodes of the show between 2002 and 2004 and also she had a cameo role in the film Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (2003).
- She made her role in the made-for-television film Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial by Fire (2005).
- She was given a recurring role on the popular Disney Channel series Hannah Montana in 2007.
- After having a role for many movies, and TV series, she auditioned for a role in the Disney series Wizards of Waverly Place.
- For the series, she won the lead role of Alex Russo.
- She then appeared in the music video for the song “Burnin’ Up”.
- Moreover, she appeared in an episode of the reality series Jonas Brothers: Living the Dream.
- In addition to this, she made her role on the Disney Channel special Studio DC: Almost Live.
- She recorded the original song “Fly to Your Heart” for the soundtrack of the animated film Tinker Bell.
- She played her leading role as Mary Santiago in the direct-to-video film Another Cinderella Story, a sequel to A Cinderella Story.
- At the age of only sixteen, she was signed to a recording contract with the Hollywood Records label.
- She then announced a film adaptation of the novel Thirteen Reasons Why.
- She also formed the pop-rock band, Selena Gomez, & the Scene and the group released their debut studio album in August 2009.
- The band released their second studio album A Year Without Rain.
- Selena and Justin Bieber recorded an unreleased duet titled “Can’t Steal Our Love”.
- She made a cameo role in the film The Muppets and then starred in the animated film Hotel Transylvania (2012).
- She also starred in the film Getaway (2013) for which she earned Gomez a nomination for Worst Actress at the 34th Golden Raspberry Awards.
- She released “Come & Get It” as the lead single from the album and another single from the album, “Slow Down”.
- She appeared in the film Behaving Badly (2014) and Ruderless (2014).
- After that, she released her first solo compilation album, For You (2014), on November 24.
- After a month, she officially signed a recording contract with Interscope Records.
- She collaborated with Zedd for his single “I Want You to Know” for her second studio album which was released on 23rd February 2015.
- In the year 2015, she also became the face of haircare brand Pantene.
- She released “Good for You” (2015) as the lead single from her second studio album on 22nd June 2015.
- She appeared in the documentary Unity in August 2015.
- She reprised the role of Mavis in Hotel Transylvania 2, which was released on September 25.
- Her second album Revival was released on 9th October 2015.
- Her next song “Same Old Love” was released as the album’s second single.
- The song and went on to top the Mainstream Top 40 chart.
- “Hands to Myself” was the album’s third single.
- She has also starred in the drama film The Fundamentals of Caring in 2016.
- Selena and Kygo released their single titled “It Ain’t Me” on 16th February.
- She then released the single “Bad Liar” on 11th May and she was also cast in A Rainy Day in New York in August 2017.
- Moreover, she released her new track titled “Wolves” on 25th October.
- She released a new single from the 13 Reasons Why Season 2 Soundtrack, titled “Back to You” on 10th May 2018.
- She gave her voice in the character Mavis, in Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation.
- She was also featured in DJ Snake’s song “Taki Taki”.
- She then appeared in Jim Jarmusch’s film The Dead Don’t Die in the year 2019.
- It was announced that she is the executive producer of the Netflix docuseries Living Undocumented in September 2019.
- On 23rd October 2019, she released “Lose You to Love Me” and the next day, she released the second single, “Look at Her Now”.
- She will voice a character in Dolittle, directed by Stephen Gaghan in January 2020.
Is Selena Gomez dating Justin Bieber?
Selena Gomez’s marital status is unmarried. As of today, she is single. She is not dating anyone at present. She also does not have any children in her life neither she has adopted any child. She is focusing on her career at present. Previously, she dated Nick Jonas in 2008. She then began dating Justin Bieber in December 2010. After separating in November 2012, they reconciled a few weeks later before splitting up again in January 2013. They again reconciled, however, they broke up again in March 2018. She then reportedly started dating The Weeknd in January 2017. The couple also moved in together temporarily in September 2017 in Greenwich Village, New York. But they broke up in October 2017.
How much is Selena Gomez’s Net Worth?
The famous singer, Selena Gomez has accumulated a huge amount of money from her present career. She has reached a great height in her career. With her singing as well as acting career, she has garnered the net worth of $75 million as of 2019. Her major source of earning is from her singing career. Besides this, she also earns from endorsements, acting career and more. She charges $10 million for brand endorsements. Moreover, she is the brand ambassador of Puma, Coach, and more. There is no information regarding her present salary but it will be added soon once we get details about it. Overall, she is satisfied and she is living a lavish lifestyle with her earnings.
Biography / Wiki
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp
Selena Gomez is Italian-American/Mexican-American actress, singer-songwriter & producer born on July 22, 1992, in Grand Prairie, Texas, USA, and her hometown is also Grand Prairie, Texas, USA. Selena rose to fame as the leading role in the Disney Channel series.
Height / Weight / Age
Selena Gomez is 165 cm tall and in feet inches, her height is 5’ 5”. Her weight is approximately 50 kg or 110 lbs. Her hair and eye colors are Dark Brown and Black respectively. She was born in 1992 so her age is 26 years in 2018
As of 2019, Selena Gomez has an estimated net worth of $60 million.
She did her schooling from Danny Jones Middle School, Texas and she has not attended the college and her educational qualification is high school.
Career / Fashion And Style
She appeared as a child artist in the children’s television series, Barney & Friends (2000-2002).
Selena got the fame from the leading role in the Disney Channel series, Wizards of Waverly Place (2007-2012).
Selena Gomez made the teen pop band Selena Gomez & the Scene. The band’s debut studio album was Kiss & Tell, released on September 29, 2009, by Hollywood Records.
In 2008, she opened his production house ‘July Moon Productions’ and have experience as a producer for a long time.
Boyfriend, Affairs, Husband and More
|Boyfriend||Justin Bieber (Singer) Selena Gomez boyfriend Justin
Nick Jonas with Selena Gomez
Here we are providing you the list of her favourite things.
|Favourite Actors||Johnny Depp, Nick Jonas, Taylor Lautner, Shia LaBeouf,|
|Favourite Foods||Pizza, Lemon chicken, Vodka penne, Fried cheese, Calamari, Strawberries with whipped cream|
|Favourite Actress||Meghan Fox, Rachel McAdams|
|Favourite Films||The Wizard of Oz|
|Favourite TV Shows||Black Mirror|
|Favourite Singers||Bruno Mars, Cheryl, Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Skrillex, Paramore (band)|
|Favourite Designers||Stuart Vevers, Nicolas Ghesquière|
|Favourite Books||On Becoming Fearless by Ariana Huffington, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren|
Some Interesting Facts About Selena Gomez
- Gomez Consider singer Bruno Mars as her major musical influence and idol.
- Selena Gomez loves to drink alcohol.
Selena Gomez Drinking Alcohol
- She has a huge crush on Shia LaBeouf.
- Her parents got divorced when Selena Gomez was five years old. She had to say goodbye to her hometown Grand Prairie, Texas.
- The name Selena was given on Tejano singer and actress Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, which means ‘Moon’ in Greek.
Selena Quintanilla Pérez
- She got a debut role at age 7 in children’s television series “Barney and Friends.”
- She did her first kiss when she was 12 years old with Dylan Sprouse.
- Selena has become a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, the youngest one in the history of the organization in 2009.
Selena in Unicef
- In 2008 She became a producer when she opened her production house – ‘July Moon Productions.’
- She opened her clothing line in 2010, ‘Dream Out Loud’, which uses eco-friendly materials
Selena Gomez Dream Out Loud
- The first music show she ever attended was by Britney Spears, who is one of her biggest inspirations.
- She received a number of death threats from his frustrated fans when she started dating Justin.
- She likes ‘Coach x’ handbags and its limited-edition collection are designed with Selena’s help.
- Gwyneth Paltrow is her style icon.
- She loves to try a variety of hairstyles, so she is often seen in Hairstyles like Loose Low Bun, Blonde Bob, Sleek Bun, Curly Side Part, Half-Up and Half-Down.
- She loves to eat Pizza very often. After her stage show, she mostly eats Pizza.
- She is a tattoo lover and has at least 8 tattoos on her body.
- In 2013 she was diagnosed with Lupus disease.
Total Savage Sends Heartbreaking Sext To Another Guy’s Girlfriend Mid-Sex
Nothing is sacred anymore.
Love between a man and a woman? Not sacred.
An intangible bond with the Holy Spirit? Nope.
Sacred Valley in Machu Picchu? You can bet your ass that’s not sacred.
So, don’t even get me started on this heartbreaking Snapchat message.
Some poor guy said he was hitting up his girlfriend’s phone when he got an unexpected reply from her best friend… who was having sex with her.
The “best friend” even had the balls to say,
She’s busy, text later. Snapchat
No way. Stuff like this doesn’t actually happen, right? Whose life is THIS messed up?!
The guy posted the Snapchat picture on Twitter with the caption,
SMH y’all, my girl with her best friend and he Snapchatted this. What do I do?
You delete her number, man. You kill contact. Gently sob on your mom’s shoulder if you have to. But move on with your life.
Uh oh. The savage didn’t stop there.
What’s this all about?!
LOOK AWAY. No one needs this much insult to injury.
It’s the sext to end all sexts.
Although I guess we can learn something from this.
If sexting’s your thing – and you’re also a lover of Snapchat – combine the two.
You may or may not be aware that the photo sharing app rolled out an update over the summer that makes it easier than ever to send out saucy Snaps.
Basically, the new Memories feature lets you store photos and videos in a folder, so that you can reuse them for future Snaps and stories.
The horny ones among us can take advantage of this by loading up the Memories archive with a stash of porn vids and images. You can dip back into the folder at any time and send the pics to the people you’re sexting.
You can thank me later.
You don’t know where your life would be without Snapchat. How else would you share your most hideously hilarious selfies with your besties to lol at without worrying about them being saved on their phones for the rest of eternity (unless they screenshot it, of course, but that’s a whole other story). How else would you catch up on what everyone in your friends list was up to in the last 24 hours? How else would you waste all your free time seeing what you look like barfing up rainbows instead of doing your homework? Snapchat = Essential.
But as integral as Snapchat is to your life, being obsessed with it also comes with its own unique set of struggles.
1. When you just want to see someone’s actual story but it’s just them messing around with the Snapchat filters for 146 seconds.
2. When you’re so busy looking at the picture someone sent you, you forget to read the caption that they sent with it. It’s like, can you send that last one again? My bad.
3. And you can’t replay it because you’ve used up all your replays. No Snapchat, I will not pay $0.99 for three more.
4. When someone finally responds to your chat after, like, forever. But it’s been so long you forgot what you originally said and don’t know what they’re responding to.
We’ve all been there😂#SnapchatStruggles http://t.co/X5KUOj2NRI
— RealHotGirlIce🥵❄️ (@WhoYou_ImNyisee) December 8, 2014
5. When your friend invites you out and you’re not in the mood but you know if you stay in, you’ll be mad in the morning when you watch her story. FOMO is a hundred times worse when you can watch how much fun your friends had without you the next day.
6. Or, when you wake up and watch your friend’s story only to see they were out having fun without you. Oh, no invite then? And you thought you were friends. The sting of betrayal is STRONG.
7. When someone opens your SnapChat but doesn’t reply. Add the sting of rejection to the list of things stinging you thanks to Snapchat.
8. When that one Snapchat from your crush won’t load.
9. When you accidentally send a snap to the wrong person. That SnapChat showing off your freshly applied zit cream definitely was not meant for the hottie that sits in front of you in geometry.
10. When your friend posts a Snapchat of herself driving and ruins your whole day. Snapchatting while driving is beyond dangerous. You hate to be her mom, but seriously, she needs to stop.
11. When you accidentally add a snap to your story.
12. When you really want to screenshot your friend’s snap but it disappears before you can press the correct combination of buttons. And then it’s gone. Gone forever.
13. When you ask someone what they did last night and they’re like, “Check my story!” and it’s like 10,000 seconds long. I don’t want to have to tap through 10 different angles of your breakfast before I get to the exciting stuff, ok?!
14. When you still don’t know what the little emojis by your friend’s list mean. FYI:
15. When Snapchat thinks your nostrils are your eyeballs. Let’s try this again Snapchat.
Noelle Devoe Entertainment Editor When I’m not holed up in my room going on a completely unproductive Netflix binge or Tumblr stalking Timothée Chalomet, I’m searching for awesome celeb news stories that Seventeen readers will love!
Selena Gomez Trashes Snapchat Over Filters: ‘Brown Eyes Are Beautiful’
Selena Gomez is slamming Snapchat for making all the “pretty” filters change her brown eyes to blue, saying her natural eye color is just as beautiful and she’s sticking to Instagram.
The “Taki Taki” singer pitted the two media giants against each other on Tuesday, comparing their ever-changing filters.
First up, the oversize glasses Snapchat filter. Looking attractive with blue eyes, Selena questions, “Am I supposed to have these eyes to look good?”
Then she moves onto two not-so-attractive filters and let’s just say she doesn’t seem happy.
“Oh, great! And it’s the only one that uses my brown eyes,” Selena exclaims.
That’s when Selena Gomez makes her point that Snapchat seems to favor light eyes to dark ones.
“I don’t understand. They have all the blue eyes for the ones that are like really pretty and then I put on this and it’s like BROWN, BROWN EYES. It’s like why?” she rants, followed by finally throwing the nail in Snapchat’s coffin: “I think I’ll just stick to Gram. Brown eyes are beautiful, everyone.”
Let’s not forget Selena Gomez is currently the #2 most followed female on IG, so her opinion holds a lot of weight.
Selena Gomez has kept a relatively low profile on social media in recent months, and it may in part be due to some beef she has with at least one of the popular platforms. According to The Blast, the singer took to her Instagram account last night to air her grievances with the filters provided by Snapchat, which she slammed for using “pretty filters” that make users’ eyes blue no matter what their natural color is.
The 26-year-old has brown eyes herself, and demonstrated the effects of Snapchat’s many filters with a series of clips uploaded to her Instagram stories. The first captured the “Taki Taki” singer with flawlessly smooth skin and a pair of oversized glasses that framed her now piercing blue eyes as she spoke to her followers.
“Am I supposed to have these eyes to like…look good?” she questioned.
She then switched to two filters that weren’t quite as glamorous. The first stretched her face out longways and deepened her voice, while the second one scrunched up her face, enlarged her lips, and gave her a high pitched voice. Selena took note that both of these filters kept her natural eye color.
“I don’t understand,” she said. “They have all the blue eyes for the ones that are like really pretty and then I put on this and it’s like BROWN. BROWN EYES. It’s like…why?”
Ultimately, Selena decided that she would simply forego Snapchat for all her future social media posting.
“I think I’ll just stick to the Gram,” she concluded, before reminding her fans that “brown eyes are beautiful.”
[email protected] is standing up to beauty standardshttps://t.co/o9PznOtVkd
— WiLD 94.9 (@Wild949) March 6, 2019
Luckily, Selena boasts 146 million followers on Instagram, which earns her the title of second most followed female on the platform and all but assures any future posts will still achieve worldwide recognition.
Just last week, the singer took to the popular social media site to announce that her latest tune “I Can’t Get Enough” was available to stream. Within six days, Selena’s post revealing her latest project — which she collaborated on with Benny Blanco, Tainy, and J Balvin — has racked up more than 8.7 million likes.
Selena’s latest track is only the start of the many exciting plans she has for 2019.
View this post on Instagram
Lots to look forward to in 2019. I can’t wait to share the projects I’ve been working on with you. The first one is here: Cali ???? BY @pumasportstyle
A source recently revealed to Entertainment Tonight that the singer is in a “really good place” and has been hard at work in the recording studio following a rough end to 2018 that caused her to briefly take a step outside the spotlight.
Selena Gomez pointed out a flaw in Snapchat’s popular filters, and she has a pretty good point
- Selena Gomez recently recorded a series of videos on Snapchat, criticizing the app’s filters.
- “Literally every single Snapchat filter has the blue eyes,” she says in one video. “What if you have brown eyes? Am I supposed to have these eyes to like, look good?”
- She noticed that many of the “ugly” or distorted filters use brown eyes: “I don’t understand. They have all the blue eyes for all the ones that are like, really ‘pretty.'”
- Gomez concluded the series of videos by deciding to use Instagram’s story feature instead, and by announcing, “Brown eyes are beautiful, everyone.”
Selena Gomez recently posted a rare series of videos on social media, criticizing a beauty standard found in Snapchat’s popular filters.
“Literally every single Snapchat filter has the blue eyes,” she says in one video. “What if you have brown eyes? Am I supposed to have these eyes to like, look good?”
“Am I supposed to have these eyes to like, look good?” @selenagomez/Instagram
While flipping between different filters, Gomez then noticed that many of the “ugly” or distorted filters use brown eyes.
“I don’t understand,” she says. “They have all the blue eyes for all the ones that are like, really ‘pretty.'”
“They use my brown eyes for this one. I don’t understand.” @selenagomez/Instagram
Gomez concluded the series of videos by switching to record herself on Instagram’s story feature.
“I think I’ll just stick to the ‘gram,” she says. “Brown eyes are beautiful, everyone.”
While the videos posted on Gomez’s story have now disappeared, they were immortalized by a number of fan accounts.
—Selena Gomez News (@SGomezNewsCOM) March 6, 2019
Many other fans quickly latched on to Gomez’s thesis and posted photos using her quote, “Brown eyes are beautiful.”
—𝐸𝒹𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 🔎 (@FullyQueen) March 8, 2019 —Arti 💜 (@btyqueenrt) March 6, 2019
Some fans related to Gomez’s brown-eyed struggle and applauded her message.
—chloe 🌙 (@seeingmirrors) March 8, 2019 —Alexa Atkinson (@AlexaGenesiss) March 6, 2019
Though she has expressed her distaste for social media on numerous occasions, Gomez’s resolution to stick to Instagram makes perfect sense, considering she’s the third most-followed person on the app.
The 26-year-old was recently overtaken by Ariana Grande as the most-followed woman, and both are led by soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo.
Snapchat did not immediately respond to INSIDER’s request for comment.
The art of the selfie has certainly metamorphosed since the introduction of face filters, and even though Instagram has gotten in on the game in recent months, Snapchat is definitely the OG when it comes to turning yourself into a puppy or a flower-crown-wearing goddess. Even celebs love to play with Snapchat’s always-rotating roster of filters, but as Selena Gomez recently pointed out, there’s something pretty interesting about a lot of the app’s options.
Earlier this week, Sel posted a story commenting on the fact that many of the “pretty” filters turn the user’s eyes blue. (The singer-songwriter’s story has since expired, but fan accounts captured the video and reposted it on Twitter.)
“Literally every single Snapchat filter has blue eyes,” Selena said. “But…what if you have brown eyes? Am I supposed to have these eyes to look good?” In another clip, Selena tried out the enlarged nose filter and the filter that turns your mouth into an oversized lemon shape. “They use my brown eyes for this one,” she said about the latter. “I don’t understand; they have all the blue eyes for the that are really pretty.”
Selena makes a pretty good point; a lot of the “pretty” filters do change the color of the user’s eyes, making them appear lighter than they are IRL. And while there’s nothing wrong with playing around with the app’s features or posting selfies that make you feel good, it’s worth considering the ways in which face filters are impacting beauty standards and even warping our own senses of self. (One report even noted a trend of young people seeking plastic surgery in an attempt to look more like they do in Snapchat filters.)
As for Selena, her recent post ended on an uplifting note, reminding her followers that “brown eyes are beautiful” (as are all filter-free faces, of course). “I think I’ll just stick to the ‘gram,” she added. “I’m done! Love you guys.”
Let us slide into your DMs. Sign up for the Teen Vogue daily email.
Want more from Teen Vogue? Check this out: Selena Gomez Wore the Most Elegant LBD at Her Best Friend’s Wedding
Selena Gomez has plenty of experience with social media, but there’s one aspect of the more visually driven platforms that she doesn’t love: namely filters. Flicking through the options on Snapchat, she noticed that there was a pattern to all of the “pretty” filters (the ones that make you look like a flower-crowned queen of summer). Gomez proceeded to call out how they generally lighten the user’s eye color in a way that other filters don’t—which led the brown-eyed pop star to wonder exactly why that was.
“Literally every single Snapchat filter has blue eyes,” Gomez said. “But…what if you have brown eyes? Am I supposed to have these eyes to look good?”
She ran through a few other filters to continue testing her hypothesis.
“They use my brown eyes for this one,” she said about a filter that morphs lips into an oversize, distorted version of their actual selves. “I don’t understand; they have all the blue eyes for the that are really pretty.”
The story’s since expired, but some fans made sure it lived on on Twitter:
She has a point: If massive social media giants are correlating lighter eyes with a certain standard of beauty, that’s a message that could subliminally make an impact on users—especially younger, impressionable ones. After all, it’s not uncommon for little kids to play around with their parents’ Snapchat filters. (Not to mention all the issues that Snapchat-like apps—and Snapchat itself—have had with racist filters.) We’re already seeing the impact of filters on how women perceive themselves, to the point that they’re reportedly getting cosmetic surgery to look more like the filtered versions of themselves they see on apps like Snapchat. There’s even a name for the phenomenon: Snapchat dysmorphia.
Gomez, it seems, might not be the biggest fan of the “pretty” filters now—she signed off implying she might stay away from them—but she certainly gives users (and, one hopes, the higher-ups at companies that use filtering features in their apps) something to think about next time they pull up a filter.