The best makeup setting spray is powerful. It has the ability to keep your makeup in place from morning until night. No matter what’s thrown at your face.
From heatwaves and sweat, to dehydration and rain, these beauties prevent smearing and smudging. Whilst the best primer definitely helps hold everything in place, the best makeup setting spray adds that extra layer of assurance.
It used to be common practice for people to use hairspray instead (especially theatre performers). Not only is this completely unnecessary now because of the amazing formulas that we have available to us now, but it should this be avoided at all costs. The ingredients in hairspray can be detrimental to your skin’s health.
Also, the best makeup setting spray is different to the best face mist, so be wary when shopping to buy the right one for your needs.
- How do you use the best makeup setting spray?
- Shop Setting Spray
- 15 Best Makeup Setting Sprays To Keep Your Makeup On-Fleek
- 1. Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
- 2. e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set
- 3. KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer
- 4. Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray
- 5. Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray
- 6. L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray
- 7. Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray
- 8. Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50
- 9. L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- 10. Bobbi Brown Face Mist
- 11. MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray
- 12. GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray
- 13. NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray
- 14. Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief
- 15. Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist
- Quick Tips To Choose The Best Setting Spray
- How do you use makeup setting sprays?
- Can you use hairspray as a setting spray for makeup?
- Subscribe to Our Newsletter
How do you use the best makeup setting spray?
The key to making the best makeup setting spray as efficacious as possible is the application.
With some makeup setting sprays you can actually apply it before you apply your makeup, but most are used afterwards. Be sure to check the back of the bottle before using.
- First things first, apply your makeup – mascara, lipstick, the whole shebang.
- Next up, shake the bottle really well before use. This is important, because you want all of the ingredients to be thoroughly mixed before spraying.
- Hold your hand at least 8″-10″ (about arm’s length) away from your face. You really don’t want to soak your face.
- Close your eyes and mouth. Lightly mist your face, making sure that you spray evenly, covering every bit of your face. This might take quite a few sprays.
- Allow it to dry naturally, do not rub. It shouldn’t take too long, but it’s essential that it dries down on its own to lock in your look.
If you find that your makeup tends to slip by mid-afternoon, you’ll really see the benefits of adding the best makeup setting spray into your routine.
Here’s our roundup of the best on the market…
THE POWER OF SETTING SPRAY
I’ve realized as I’ve grown up that there are certain defining moments in your life that mark a new chapter in the world of adulthood. All of a sudden something happens, you’ve developed a new habit or whatever it may be and wham bam, just like that you’ve take another step into being a mature adult human. It was just this past year that I experienced another one of those moments . For me, it came in the form of makeup setting spray. I had zero clue that setting spray even existed until we did our LIY Tribe Beauty Favorites survey and you all picked a favorite in this category and I was all “wait. that’s a thing?” and now that I’ve been using it, I totally get why it is a thing. Apparently, there is added satisfaction to applying makeup when you realize it’s actually going to STAY on your face, ALL DAY LONG. Exciting concept, I know.
As I’ve been using a makeup setting spray more often and realizing the importance and power of doing so, I’ve started wondering which one is REALLY the best. Thankfully, the LIY team and I have been loving putting together different comparison posts recently and so when it was thrown out to compare the sprays that determine the future of our faces, we thought it absolutely seemed necessary. Here’s how we did it, which products we compared and of course – the results!
THE SETTING SPRAY LINEUP
- Urban Decay Cosmetics All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
- Mac Prep + Prime Fix+ Mattifying Mist
- E.L.F. Cosmetics Matte Magic Mist and Set
- Milani Make It Last Setting Spray Prime + Correct + Set
- Nyx Professional Makeup Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray
- Pacifica Crystal Dew Makeup Setting Spray
HOW WE TESTED
The process was simple really. We each tried every type of makeup setting spray over a period of time and applied a different setting spray from the list above in the morning after applying makeup, took a photograph and then rephotographed ourselves at the end of the work day to see how well our makeup truly held up. As we used each product, we took notes and rated them on how each individual setting spray worked in these categories:
- Texture on Face
- Dry Time
- Shine Control
TEAM MEMBER SKIN TYPES
To help you get the most out of this comparison, we thought it would be helpful to give you an idea on the skin type of each of the team members who tested.
- Erin: Combination of normal to oily, not sensitive
- Becca: Very dry skin, and unfortunately a hopeless face toucher
- Steph: Normal to Dry, not sensitive
- Claire: Oily, Sensitive
- Cassidy: Oily, sensitive
- Lauren: Normal, sometimes oily
TIPS AND TRICKS
When using a makeup setting spray, apply after ALL of your makeup is on . I always wait until my mascara is completely dry to spray just to avoid shutting my eyes while it is still wet. Once dry, hold the setting spray bottle 8-10 inches away from your face and spray in both a T and X formation to cover all areas. Remember, keep your eyes shut while spray to avoid it getting in your eyes. You definitely don’t want to drench your face, but you do want to spray enough to allow it to adhere to your skin and work. Allow it to dry naturally and go about your day’s duties, while your makeup will do its thing .
Our winner – Urban Decay Cosmetics All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray // $32 It wasn’t a huge surprise that the oh so famous Urban Decay Cosmetics All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray came in first place among the group with the highest overall rating. This was the same setting spray that our readers voted as their favorite in our 2017 beauty survey! Here’s what a few of us had to say about it:
- Claire “LOVE Urban Decay! My only complaint is that I did feel a bit oily by the end of the day. However, I use the the Urban Decay De-slick on a regular basis. I highly recommend it if you have oily skin!”
- Erin “I use this regularly and it has never let me down! It works so well I had a hard time figuring out which was my morning photo vs my evening photo! Definitely worth every dollar and will last forever!”
- Cassidy “Lasted the whole day, even beyond work!!”
Coming in at #2 on the list is Mary Kay Makeup Finishing Spray // $18At nearly half of the price, Mary Kay didn’t disappoint. It scored extremely well in shine control and did an overall really good job at keeping our makeup in place all day long! It was pretty quick to dry, the only noticeable difference is that it did feel like maybe a tad bit more was needed than with the Urban Decay when spraying.
- Lauren “ I was really impressed with the Mary Kay setting spray. Even in the heat of the summer, my makeup stayed pretty well throughout the full day. It dried quickly, wasn’t overly wet when applying, and kept the shine away!”
- Claire “Loved it! I have combination skin and noticed I was a bit oily by the end of the day, but my makeup was all still in place!”
Next up, coming in at number three is E.L.F. Cosmetics Matte Magic Mist and Set // $4I have to admit, we were all SHOCKED with how well this E.L.F setting spray knowing that it only costs $4 to purchase. Knowing that you could purchase 8 of these to make up our first place winner, it is awfully tempting to want to use this setting spray from here on out. While it didn’t score quite as high as the other two, we mostly all agree that it got the job done “well enough”.
- Cassidy “For the price, this is a great option! It isn’t the strongest of the bunch for me but it does a great job for a great deal!”
- Becca “This one surprisingly lasted pretty well despite all my face touching tendencies! It did smell kinda funny, but I would say that is a small price to pay for a reasonably priced setting spray that even works for someone like me!”
In 4th from the top, we have Mac Prep + Prime Fix+ Mattifying Mist // $26It’s not a secret that a lot of people love MAC when it comes to all things beauty, which I think explains a little bit of our disappointment when we felt like this didn’t hold up to our normal MAC standards. While it did smell wonderful, it didn’t do a whole lot for several of us.
- Becca “Definitely makes your face super wet and takes a few minutes to dry. Didn’t hold up all day for me. But I will say, it smells very nice!”
- Claire “I LOVE MAC products and use them every day. However, I just can’t get behind this setting spray. I was SO OILY by the end of the day! I will say that my makeup all stayed on and in place. For the price, I would’ve liked more oil control for my skin type.”
- Lauren “For 8 hours, this was a great setting spray. By the evening, I’d probably want to touch some things up. The only downfall I saw was with the dry time- it does take some time to set.”
Next on the list, we have Nyx Professional Makeup Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray // $8.49Again, another option at a great price. While we all would rather pay half the price of this already inexpensive option for E.L.F. this did have a few winning attributes. Unfortunately, where many of us felt it fell short was in the shine control arena!
- Lauren “While it had a nice matte look at first, it did not stay. By mid day it already seemed like my face was shiny and I needed to reapply makeup.”
- Cassidy “All around pretty average, nothing stood out . I like NYX as a brand but typically doesn’t have the best longevity!”
- Steph “Nice light mist going on, but felt that I became a bit greasy throughout the day.”
While we’re getting close to the bottom of our list, we aren’t there quite yet. In sixth place we have Milani Make It Last Setting Spray Prime + Correct + Set // $9.99While it is a setting spray under $10, collectively we didn’t love this product, the main reason due to the shine control. Additionally, it did feel quite wet after using on your face which is a feeling that didn’t really escape as time went on.
- Steph “A little heavier than I prefer, and I did feel like my face was a bit oily at the end of the day which is not usually the case for me.”
- Claire “I loved the look and feel of this one! However, I was MAJORLY oily by the end of the day. It also made my sensitive skin break out pretty bad!”
- Lauren “It felt like I sprayed myself with a garden hose the whole day. It never seemed to dry, and made my face look and feel greasy the whole day.”
- Becca “ I didn’t love the texture on my face — it felt a little tight, like I had sprayed some hairspray on my face!”
And last but certainly not least, Pacifica Crystal Dew Makeup Setting Spray // $10This was the only vegan beauty product that we tested and while we had high hopes for it, unfortunately many of us deemed it our least favorite of them all. While I wouldn’t be afraid to try other Pacifica products, I don’t think we will be turning to this setting spray to keep our faces happy all day long.
- Cassidy “ Love that it is all natural, but did not work for my skin. Still love this brand though!”
- Claire “Two words: Grease. Ball. It also was VERY fragranced, which I thought was kinda odd. With sensitive skin, I’m blaming it for a major breakout after testing! HOWEVER, I do love that this brand is 100% vegan and cruelty free. Cheers to that!”
- Erin “While it had quite a nice fragrance to it, I felt like this setting spray seemed to feel wet on my face all day long. I kept waiting for it to feel dry but it never really got there. I do love that it is a safe product to use and that you can snag it for $10, but I most likely won’t be purchasing again.”
And that my friends, is a makeup setting spray wrap! Hopefully you found this post helpful and are now equipped to shop setting sprays feeling a little more equipped than when you arrived today. We’d love to hear what setting spray you turn to for all of your makeup staying needs! Drop us a comment below and let us know!
Shop the lineup here —
For your pinning pleasure —
I had fallen in love with the Urban Decay Setting sprays in 2010 when I went on a Vegas trip and needed something to make my makeup stay on while partying in hot, humid clubs and walking around in 100 degree weather. I swear, I sweated all night long and passed out with my makeup on and woke up with a perfect face still on me. That was the last time I partied like that but not the last time I used that spray.
If I want my makeup to stay on me I will do a couple sprays and go about my day. There is very little color transfer when I rub my face, and when I get home from work, all that is required is a small touch up around my nose area and go out for the evening. But the one drawback of using this product is the price, at 29 for 4oz. dollars a pop it can get pricey. There is a travel size option for $14 dollars and it is only one ounce.
So I have been on a search for something a little more affordable to stand in and give the old girl a break every once in awhile and I stumbled upon The NYX makeup setting spray and decided to give it a try. I had the choice between the matte finish or the dewy finish and decided that for my skin type I should get the matte formula because my t-zone can get pretty oily. The price for this is $8 for 2oz. and you can easily get the same amount of a full size urban decay for only $16.
I recently used it during an especially hot Saturday night and little did I know I’d be walking a marathon and breaking a sweat, more than anticipated. So I was wiping my forehead, and trying to get rid of any shininess from our impromptu bar crawl because I worked pretty darn hard to get my skin to look perfect and flawless. Well, by the end of the night my feet were so sore and my consolation prize was *perfect looking makeup*. Well, I was one happy camper but this time I didn’t leave my makeup on overnight…NOT! I still have not learned my lesson ladies. That, and I couldn’t find my makeup wipes. So I woke up with perfect makeup as well.
I learned two lessons that night, this stuff lasts just like my Urban Decay but for a lot less $$. I plan to use this for day wear at work because I don’t waste my good makeup on them, let alone my good setting spray. If you are looking for something that will make your makeup stay on, this will do the trick but at a cheaper price. If you’re looking for something that doesn’t make you sweat while you work out then I really don’t think you will find anything and you should stop fighting nature. The other lesson of the story is, i should put my makeup remover wipes on the counter so I don’t end up sleeping in my makeup ever again.
Hopefully you all enjoyed my review and comparison and I feel for my skin type it is a dupe. You may or may not agree and if you haven’t given it a try maybe you should. For half the price of Urban Decay I got something that works just as well. Once I use up this product I will let you all know if i think if it requires a repurchase in a future empties post. Until then, stay beautiful!
The oppressive humidity and scalding temperatures of Summer exacerbate any standard makeup gripes tenfold, but what no one’s sharing with you is that there is one single product that cures all these woes for up to 16 hours at a time. Yes, really! Melted foundation, oily skin, vanishing blush, even sun damage — these issues can all be solved with setting spray.
This genius invention isn’t new. In fact, it’s been around for nearly 50 years but was an insider secret, available only to Hollywood makeup artists and other pros. Skindinavia is largely credited as the brand that made the category more real-girl-friendly. “They had been around since the 1970s as ‘hair spray’ for the face,” explained Allen Goldman, CEO of Skindinavia. “We are the ones who helped blow up the category by making them comfortable to use and non-aerosol.”
So how do setting sprays work? Skindinavia’s formula actually features a patented cooling technology. Your skin temperature is approximately 90 degrees (which can of course get warmer or cooler depending on the weather). That heat is not conducive to durable makeup — it causes melting, colour fade, and oiliness. Skindinavia creates an invisible web on the skin that works to lower the temperature of the makeup on your face, making it last.
Setting sprays also use special polymers to seal your makeup in place, creating a breathable mesh on top. They’re super simple to use. Just spritz them across your face just like a standard facial mist. Many brands suggest misting in T or X shape. “This is a way to get a full application with the minimum amount of product,” shared Goldman.
If you’re convinced that using primer is enough for a long-lasting makeup look, reconsider. “Priming sprays are a bit more skin-care-focused and offer more texture for a smooth surface,” Goldman said. “Finishing sprays are about a healthy, luminous look and extended wear.”
Once you incorporate setting spray into your beauty regimen, you’ll be able to party at a music festival, sweat it out on the tennis court, or work a full day and hit up happy hour looking like you just applied your makeup. Read on to discover some of our favourites.
Shop Setting Spray
Designed to lock in your base makeup for a perfected look that lasts all day – they’re the final step for every makeup look no matter what the weather or occasion. There’s a makeup setting spray for all skin types, whether you need a setting spray for oily skin or to give a dewy look to dry skin.
Not sure which is the right setting spray for your skin type? Adore Beauty stocks an extensive range of makeup setting sprays for you to choose from.
If your primary makeup concern is controlling shine throughout the day, keep an eye out for setting sprays that are designed to amplify the lifespan of your foundation – anything that mentions ‘long-lasting’ and ‘mattifying’ will be your friend! Oil-control setting sprays are best used after powder foundation or setting powder, to remove cakeyness and any evidence of powder. Perfect for a no-makeup finish!
Do you have normal to dry skin and you want a setting spray to for a dewy skin finish? You can get away with any setting spray, but we recommend looking for setting sprays with nourishing ingredients like rosewater. If your skin is ultra-dry, why not try using your favourite nourishing face mist? Though face mists are not designed to set makeup, it give you that dewyness, remove a powdery look, and will help manage dry patches throughout the day.
15 Best Makeup Setting Sprays For 2019 Esha Saxena Hyderabd040-395603080 December 4, 2019
Have you spent a generous amount of time doing your makeup and getting it right, only to find it fading and creasing a few hours later? So disappointing, right? There exists a simple solution for your makeup to look flawless, every time – no cakey coverage, no melting, no creases, no fuss – all you need is a quick mist of your setting spay, and you’re good to go.
We’ve reviewed 15 makeup setting sprays that promise to make your makeup last longer on your skin and literally lock it in place. Want to know which one’s worth your money?
|Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray||Check Price|
|Elf studio Makeup Mist & Set||Check Price|
|Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray||Check Price|
|Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50||Check Price|
|L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray||Check Price|
|Bobbi Brown Face Mist||Check Price|
|MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray||Check Price|
|GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray||Check Price|
|NYX Makeup Setting Spray||Check Price|
|Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief||Check Price|
15 Best Makeup Setting Sprays To Keep Your Makeup On-Fleek
1. Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Made with temperature control technology
- Keeps makeup looking fresh for long hours
- Suitable for all skin types
Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray Review
On the topmost position, we have Urban Decay’s All Nighter Setting Spray, and it undoubtedly is the best for so many reasons! As its name suggests – your makeup does stay in place for up to 12 hours. It feels extremely comfortable to wear, and it also gives your skin an instant moisture boost. What we loved most about this product is that it adapts to any skin type and leaves your makeup looking fresh for the longest time. It also prevents your foundation from oxidizing and looking cakey. To add to that, it even smells heavenly. This one’s a must-try!
2. e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set
- Infused with Vitamin B, E, and Arctium Majus Root to hydrate and soothe
- Comfortable to wear
- Cruelty-free and vegan
e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set Review
We can’t believe that this makeup setting spray is actually priced at a mere $4! It’s incredible, and if you’re on the hunt for a budget-friendly, drugstore setting spray – this is your best bet! It’s enriched with rich ingredients that are so good for your skin, and it tremendously improves your makeup’s wearability while preventing it from fading or running. This is suitable for all skin types, and if you have oily skin, you will particularly love this more as it mattifies your skin and keeps your foundation from getting cakey. Way to go, e.l.f!
3. KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer
- Non-sticky formula
- Easy to apply
- Mild on the face
- Makes your skin look smoother
- The spray can leave your skin slightly uneven
KIKO Milano Face Make Up Fixer Review
Kiko Milano is a professional Italian cosmetics brand. It is a hit all over the world and its setting spray is no exception. This gorgeous looking product comes in an aerosol can, which is a brushed silver, and it’s the perfect size to carry in your handbag. It easily holds your makeup in place for up to 8 hours, and it definitely holds better when you wear a good quality primer. It provides immense protection against shininess. It’s formulated with cosmetic alcohol that evaporates instantly, allowing for your makeup to set beautifully. It’s great for normal to combination and oily skin. It also works for dry skin, thanks to its special Chamomile extract formula.
4. Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray
- Oil-free formula
- Dries quickly
- Leaves your makeup looking matte
- Easy to use
- Too much product is required to get an even finish
Maybelline Superstay 24 Makeup-Locking Setting Spray Review
This setting spray by Maybelline notably extends the longevity of your makeup and locks it in place. It comes in a humble white bottle, and the spray does not feel sticky or tacky – it gets absorbed into the skin instantaneously. It also feels very refreshing on the skin. Maybelline has not specified the skin type that this product is suitable for. However, we found this to be ideal for extremely oily to a combination skin type as it’s very mattifying. If you have dry skin, we wouldn’t recommend trying this setting spray. Overall, it’s a budget-friendly drugstore option that gives great competition to the big brands.
5. Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray
- Controls oil
- Easy to use
- Sturdy and travel-friendly packaging
- Contains ingredients like aloe vera, castor seed oil, and sunflower oil
- Very strong smell
Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray Review
Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control Fixing Spray gives you that ‘just-applied’ makeup look for up to 12 hours. This one’s an oil controlling product, and it does contain alcohol, so make sure you do a patch test before you use it on your face if you have dry and sensitive skin. It does help reduce that powdery effect on the face and keeps makeup in place all day long. That’s not all – this spray works brilliantly when it comes to controlling shine. It’s most suited for normal, combination and oily skin types.
6. L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Lightweight and non-sticky
- Gives you that perfect glow
- The bottle is very tiny and won’t last you for long
L.A. Girl PRO High Definition Matte Finish Setting Spray Review
If you need help in preventing your makeup from having a meltdown and your face looking patchy in just a few hours of makeup application – this setting spray by L.A Girl does an amazing job to ensure nothing moves. Although it promises a matte finish, it gives your skin a rather dewy finish. It helps conceal the cakey finish of foundation, and your skin will look a lot less oily towards the end of the day. This will make a great makeup setting spray for the summers!
7. Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Has a refreshing cucumber scent
- Can be used as a primer and setting spray
- Keeps your skin hydrated
- Locks makeup for as long as eight hours
- Its spray nozzle is a little tricky to work with
Rimmel Insta Fix & Go Setting Spray Review
This 2-in-1 makeup setting spray by Rimmel may be implemented beneath your makeup as a primer or as a setting spray to increase its longevity. It has a beautiful fragrance and is quick-drying. It prevents makeup from looking cakey and does not dry out your skin. Both ways, this does an exceptional job despite being so affordable. We highly recommend trying this setting spray if you’re looking for a multifunctional product to enhance your makeup’s staying power and make it look stunning!
8. Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50
- Has a refreshing rosemary and mint fragrance
- SPF 50
- Sets makeup in place for long durations
- Comes in a handy travel-size packaging
- Does not make your skin appear dry and dull like most mattifying sprays
- May not control oil for extremely oily skin types.
Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 Review
Are you planning your summer vacay where you’ll be out and about in the sun a lot? It’s time you invest in this setting spray by Supergoop that comes with an SPF of 50! Even the most expensive cosmetics in the world can’t undo the effects of sun damage, so why not just prevent it? This is super easy to use, and it leaves your skin with a healthy, dewy glow. You needn’t carry around your tube of sunscreen lotion and go through all the hassle – just a spritz of this stuff through the day makes a huge difference. It also prevents your makeup from looking cakey and keeps it in place all day long. This one’s suitable for normal to combination and dry skin types.
9. L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Sets makeup to perfection
- Evaporates quickly after application
- Its nozzle sprays out a fine and even mist
- If you have dry skin, you will need to moisturize well as it’s slightly drying
L’Oreal Infallible Makeup Extender Setting Spray Review
L’Oreal’s Infallible Makeup Extender Spray holds a special place in our hearts as it can be compared to MAC’s setting spray. Yes, it’s as good! It comes in a black, rubberized, matte-finish bottle and its nozzle is superb! Spray it from a distance of about 10 cm away from your face, and you’re good to go. It does not feel icky or tacky when applied and dries up fast. It easily keeps your makeup looking fresh for about 7-8 hours. This one’s suitable for normal to combination and oily skin types as it tends to keep moisture away. This works well in favor of oily skin beauties. You gotta try it to believe it!
10. Bobbi Brown Face Mist
- Easy to use
- Leaves skin feeling hydrated
- Spray nozzle spritzes so evenly
- Travel-friendly packaging
- If you have sensitive skin, essential oils in its ingredients may irritate it
Bobbi Brown Face Mist Review
Bobbi Brown has a reputation for its insanely successful makeup line. This face mist is so hydrating, and it’s also multifunctional – from setting your makeup to refreshing it through the day. It does not leave your face sopping wet. Instead, it dries up quickly and has a lingering scent of sweet lavender and geranium, which is so refreshing. Although this is an expensive product, we highly recommend trying it as it will leave your skin feeling soft and hydrated. The best part? It works beautifully for all skin types!
11. MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray
- Soothing and refreshing
- Contains hydrating properties
- Dermatologist tested
- Easy to use
MAC Prep & Prime Fix + Makeup Setting Spray Review
This lightweight mist of water is enriched with vitamins and minerals, infused with a blend of green tea, chamomile, and cucumber to gently soothe and refresh your skin. It adds an instant boost of hydration while delivering a soft, dewy sheen to set and refresh your makeup. This spray helps in leaving you with a natural finish and eliminating that powdery or cakey finish. It’s a must-have for dry skin beauties as it’s extremely moisturizing, but if you have oily skin, it’s best to give this a miss.
12. GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Enriched with antioxidants
- Dries fast
- Allows you to re-blend makeup that’s already settled
- Can irritate very sensitive skin as it includes a combination of fragrant ingredients
GlamGlow Glowsetter Makeup Setting Spray Review
Wondering what the secret is to Hollywood stars’ eternal Red Carpet glow? Well, a lot of celebrities have called this their “favorite setting spray”. This takes the double as a makeup setting spray and a midday skin refresher. It’s loaded with three antioxidant-packed teas (green, white, and red) to soothe skin and fight any redness. It evaporates almost immediately and is also packed with caffeine to instantly refresh puffy and dull skin. This works for all skin types.
13. NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray
- Easy to use
- Gives your makeup a natural finish
- Non-greasy formula
- Contains a high percentage of alcohol that tends to dry out your skin
NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finish Setting Spray Review
If you like a nice, mattifying look – this setting spray by NYX does the job so well. It also helps in eliminating shine and oil from the face. However, when we consider the longevity factor, it does not majorly increase the wear time of your makeup. It’s specifically designed for oily skin and would not suit other skin types (particularly if you have dry skin, steer clear). In a nutshell, this is a decent drugstore setting spray that you can try if you struggle with oiliness.
14. Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief
- Hydrates and repairs dry patches on skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin
Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief Review
Clinique is known for its gentle yet effective skin care products, and this multifunctional spray can be used before and after you finish your makeup. It replenishes your skin’s moisture levels while restoring balance. If you have dry skin, this spray will be your holy grail as it not only makes your skin appear supple and glowy but also helps in improving the health of your skin. Do give this a shot, especially if you have dry and sensitive skin!
15. Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist
- Makes your makeup last longer
- Your face won’t look greasy or oily
- Can be used to refresh your makeup through the day
- Its application is a little tricky
Pixi By Petra Makeup Fixing Mist Review
Want a gorgeous, dewy finish with a subtle glow to your skin? This setting spray by Pixi is enriched with ingredients like rose water, green tea, and castor oil. It smells wonderful and leaves your makeup looking fresh and natural. It works well with both liquid foundation and powder. It’s also gentle on the skin so if you have problematic skin that is prone to breakouts, you will love this!
Quick Tips To Choose The Best Setting Spray
Now that you’ve had a look at the best setting sprays to achieve flawless makeup that actually lasts – here’s your guide to selecting one and using it the right way.
Keep Your Skin Type In Mind
Before you decide to go purchase a makeup setting spray, choose one that suits your skin type.
- If you have dry skin, you will want to avoid products that contain alcohol, as they can dry out your skin even more. Instead, it’s best to opt for sprays with hydrating and moisturizing properties.
- For those of you with oily skin, look for an oil-free or mattifying setting spray.
- If you have combination skin, you can experiment with different setting sprays to find the one that works for your skin.
- If you have mature skin that is leaning towards the drier side – go easy on the setting powder and use a spray that has hydrating properties.
What’s The Weather Going To Be Like?
You need to consider the season and the weather – during hot and humid days, makeup tends to smear and melt off of your face (we’ve all been there). It’s best to choose a setting spray that is sweat-resistant and cooling for times like these. On the other hand, during winters, when your skin tends to be drier and lacks moisture, you can try a hydrating setting spray to make your makeup last longer and protect it against harsh, dry air.
Consider The ‘Finish’
This entirely depends on what you prefer. If you like the end result of your makeup to look matte and shine-free – pick a setting spray that’s specially designed to do so. If you want a more dewy effect – pick one that promises to deliver that finish.
Want An All Natural Setting Spray?
It’s not recommended to add water to your setting spray when it’s running out, but you can make your own setting spray at home if you like to keep it natural. Simply add one tablespoon of glycerin to half a cup of rose water and mix it well!
SPF Is Essential On Sunny Days
It’s always nice to have some extra protection on and what’s better than a makeup setting spray with SPF? Not only will it help your makeup look flawless but it will protect you from sunburns and other negative effects of staying out in the sun for too long.
Spray It On Your Makeup Tools!
Did you know that using a setting spray to dampen your makeup sponge can help you blend and smoothen your foundation all the more evenly? It also helps prevent your foundation from fading off over the course of a long day. You can also use a spritz on your eyeshadow brush and use the damp brush for application for a more opaque and bold color. It will also help the shadow stay in place all day without creasing. If you’re into contouring, you can spray your setting spray on a slanted brush for intense contouring that lasts all day long.
Locking Your Look!
This involves three simple steps:
- Shake your spray bottle just enough to mix it all up.
- Once you’ve finished your makeup (this includes your foundation, mascara, lipstick, powder, and all that you use), hold the bottle six to eight inches away from the face and spray the product all over your face and neck, so you get even and full coverage. It will take away any cakey or powdery effect that you have going on.
- Let the spray dry naturally – do not rub or meddle with your face right after you’ve sprayed on your setting spray as this will only mess up your makeup.
- You can reapply your setting spray through the day or whenever necessary to mattify your makeup or rehydrate your skin – depending on what product you’ve chosen.
*Subject to Availability
Nothing can replace a setting spray to achieve that fresh, dewy, flawless look that we all desire. That was our roundup of the 15 best makeup setting sprays. If you have a favorite, share with us in the comments section below.
- 10 Best Waterproof Makeup Products Available In India
- 6 Best Waterproof Makeup Products To Use While Swimming
- When Should You Throw Away Your Makeup Products?
- Top 10 Highlighter Makeup Products Available In India
The following two tabs change content below.
- Latest Posts
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- 9 Of The Best Green Concealers To Cancel Out Redness – October 10, 2019
- The 9 Differences Between Loving Someone And Being In Love – October 9, 2019
- 9 Of The Best Rainbow Highlighters Out There – September 30, 2019
- 10 Of The Best Morphe Brushes Of All Time – September 30, 2019
- What Is the Difference Between Primer, Foundation, And Concealer? – September 30, 2019
Esha Saxena is a writer, journalist, and a full-time wallflower. She holds a Master’s degree in Media and Mass Communication and firmly believes that makeup is nothing less than art. Combining her love for writing with her passion for makeup, she brings to you reviews, techniques, and her ever-growing knowledge on this form of art. In her spare time, she loves reading, listening to obscure indie bands, and writing poetry – all of this while being a crazy dog lady.
Whether it’s a big event or a hot summer day, making sure that your eyeshadow, lipstick, and foundation last from day into night is a serious feat. If you want your makeup to stand up against the elements, tears, and everything in between, a makeup spray is your answer. These lock-it-in setting sprays are the last step in a makeup routine. Just spritz on to keep makeup looking perfect through hot summer days, sweaty vacation destinations, workouts, and can even keep makeup on oily skin. But which makeup setting spray is best? First, we need to clear up a few things:
How do you use makeup setting sprays?
If you’re not sure how to put on makeup setting spray, the good news is that it’s super easy! First things first, read the label because some formulas might have specific instructions (i.e. if you need to shake the bottle beforehand, etc.). Once all of your makeup is applied (yes, everything from powder to mascara), hold the bottle about eight inches away from your face, gently close your eyes, and mist the setting spray all over. As a guideline, spray in “X” and “T” motions to make sure you cover your entire face.
If you’re debating if a setting spray is better than powder, know that setting sprays will help your makeup longer, but if a matte finish is your goal, you’re actually better off pairing a powder and a setting spray together for a shine-free look that lasts all day long. Just apply your powder first, and finish with a matte setting spray like Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray (our best overall pick — it’s our Beauty Lab pick and a cult-favorite, too).
Can you use hairspray as a setting spray for makeup?
You shouldn’t. If you read the ingredients on hairsprays and makeup setting sprays, you might notice that there are some overlapping ingredients. “That doesn’t mean that they should be expected to have the same properties and provide the same benefits,” says Sabina Wizemann, senior chemist at the Good Housekeeping Institute’s Beauty Lab. “Hair and makeup setting sprays are formulated for two different substrates, hair and skin, and should be used according to their directions.”
Another reason you shouldn’t use hairspray to set your makeup? “Aerosol hairsprays contain compressed gasses or propellants, which can cause irritation to your eyes, skin, or lungs,” says Wizemann. So put down the hairspray, and instead opt for our top picks for the best makeup setting sprays:
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Arguably one of the worst parts of putting time into a makeup look — whether a quick, natural face or a full, YouTube-inspired beat — is the risk of it all coming off before you even make it to lunch. Lucky for us, though, setting sprays exist, and they’re the key to making whatever you put on your face last all day. But how to know you’ve found the right one?
“A good setting spray should be able to set your makeup so it is non-transferable on clothing, but still looks natural,” says Rick DiCecca, creative director of makeup design for Artistry by Amway and a makeup artist whose clients include Heidi Klum and Iman. “The foundation of a setting spray should combat oil and shine, while also hydrating your skin to prevent dryness.”
Ahead, DiCecca and a handful of other pros weigh in on 11 of the best makeup setting sprays out there for every price range.
11 11 Images
Please note: Occasionally, we use affiliate links on our site. This in no way affects our editorial decision-making.
Sign up for our daily newsletter and get the latest industry news in your inbox every day.